Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

English farm building feature..query

zebra99

Three of these have been seen on a farm outbuilding wall in England.They are about waist height (I have no other measurements...sorry) Anybody any ideas what they might be?

P1120376_zps45adf8dd.jpg

P1120375_zps6f2e6ce6.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Star of the Sea

• zebra99

• Oniomancer

Top Posters In This Topic

They could be something to do with steps to mount a horse and carriage for back in the good old days. In the village where I live you see stepping stones set into the old country walls dating back to Tudor times.

Edit:

Do you know how old the farmhouse is?

Edited by Star of the Sea

They could be something to do with steps to mount a horse and carriage for back in the good old days. In the village where I live you see stepping stones set into the old country walls dating back to Tudor times.

Edit:

Do you know how old the farmhouse is?

Nope....but getting on by the look of the stone...I wondered if they were to prop sacks on so they could be shouldered when unloading a cart...but I'm only guessing.

Nope....but getting on by the look of the stone...I wondered if they were to prop sacks on so they could be shouldered when unloading a cart...but I'm only guessing.

Could be for loading/unloading... where I live they build original walls around old artefacts. Interesting picture though. Hope you find out what they were designed for. :tu:

Edited by Star of the Sea

Waist high is a bit tall for a coach step and unless that's a sovereign you're using for scale, it's pretty small and narrow for any load. It's about the the right size and position for a lantern bracket though. Ordinarily, if it was a wooden building they'd just drive a spike in the wall for hanging.