Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CIA director David Petraeus resigns

ExpandMyMind

CIA director David Petraeus has resigned from his post, admitting he had an extra-marital affair.

In a statement, Mr Petraeus said he had submitted his resignation to President Barack Obama, and that he had shown "extremely poor judgement".

He described his behaviour as "unacceptable" for the leader of the nation's main intelligence agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20276610

"He described his behaviour as "unacceptable" for the leader of the nation's main intelligence agency."

Indeed. If he can't keep an affair secret, what hope is there for the nation's secrets :D

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

I am more surprised and amazed that this man has admitted his wrongdoing and resigned, than I am that he has cheated. In most cases of high-profile adultery, the only mea culpa we get is the qualified apology to keep a sponsor happy, after an initial period of denial.

Cheating on a partner is a horribly dishonest and disrespectful thing to do - and even more so if there are kids involved. But the fact that he's got the self-respect to apologise and to relinquish his position, shows a tremendous amount of balls.

• Like 2

At least he is able to "Man Up" and admit his mistakes and act to get it over with. I can admire that.

• Like 2

Too bad he couldn't 'Man Down' or whateva, and you know, NOT cheat on his wife. But sure, I guess losing your job because you told on yourself is good too.

• Like 2

I think he is a low life for the cheating but at least he was man enough to admit it and apologize. If he wants his marriage to get back on track he had better be making his wife feel like she is a goddess and living his life like an open book so she can at least get some trust back in him again.

The FBI has known about this affair for a while. This resignation is very likely due to the Benghazi fiasco. It was, after all, largely a CIA run operation over there. Some would argue that it almost cost President Obama the election.

A conspiracy theorist might even suggest that they have a political agenda. I wouldn't know, but I do know that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court should not, even in his wildest imagination, fear a spy agency.

If I were advising President Obama, I would suggest that his pick to replace General Petraeus, have the faith of a mustard seed, because spy agencies will be of little help to my country for what lies ahead. When the mountains are moved, the man he selects must fully understand why, and know that the solution is not, to attack Iran.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

Word on the internet is now that it was his Biographer, Paula Broadwell, that he was cheating with. What he did was WAY wrong, but look at what he had to deal with....

Paula....

joCnq.jpg

Mrs Petraeus...

628x471.jpg

• Like 5

If I was Obama I would firmly say, "Director Petraeus, NO, I will not accept your resignation."

hang on, his Biographer? Does that not sound a little iffy in itself? The Chief Spook writing his Biography (or having it written for him) while he was still in office? :unsure2:

Rich/powerful men cheating on his wife with a beautiful co-worker???? WHAT?? Shocking!! (NOT!!) If the Feds hadn't been all over him we would have never known, I don't call that honorable. IMO Marriage is an outdated custom that does not work anyway so why do we still bother with it?

Edited by Idano

I don't see how his cheating has anything whatsoever to do with his professional positions. That said, i don't trust him professionally and i hope he's done.

• Like 1

I don't see how his cheating has anything whatsoever to do with his professional positions.

Agreed, it's a private matter between him and his wife, it has nothing to do with his job or anyone else.

It's funny how the public often regards people who hold high positions as being detached from the people they serve, out of touch, yet when they make the same mistakes that everyday people make then that's not good enough, time to go....what a weird world we live in.

• Like 1

I think he is a low life for the cheating but at least he was man enough to admit it and apologize. If he wants his marriage to get back on track he had better be making his wife feel like she is a goddess and living his life like an open book so she can at least get some trust back in him again.

An ex CIA Director living his life as an "open book" is a big ask lol.

Actually, after having time to think about the timing of this 'resignation', I think it's safe to assume that he was probably forced out. Raptor's post seems to be spot on - though I doubt it was only one incident that forced Obama's hand.

Forcing out the head of the CIA though? That's showing some real power.

Agreed, it's a private matter between him and his wife, it has nothing to do with his job or anyone else.

It's funny how the public often regards people who hold high positions as being detached from the people they serve, out of touch, yet when they make the same mistakes that everyday people make then that's not good enough, time to go....what a weird world we live in.

I don't see how his cheating has anything whatsoever to do with his professional positions. That said, i don't trust him professionally and i hope he's done.

Fior the director of the Central Intelligence Agency to be behaving in a Duplicitous fashion that might, for example, lay him open to threats of Blackmail & so on, should surely be grounds for some dubiety? Not, obviosuly,t hat Spy Chiefs should be morally unimpeachable, but it's the sceuirty, not just the Moral, angle.

• Like 1

Fior the director of the Central Intelligence Agency to be behaving in a Duplicitous fashion that might, for example, lay him open to threats of Blackmail & so on, should surely be grounds for some dubiety? Not, obviosuly,t hat Spy Chiefs should be morally unimpeachable, but it's the sceuirty, not just the Moral, angle.

In the dirty world of politics, I would be very surprised if he hadn't already been blackmailed.

An appropriate end to the political career of David Betrayus.

Or just the beginning. Remember Kennedy, Clinton, Gingrich, John Ensign, Bob Barr (Mr. Impeach Clinton)and ALL the others?

Edited by Mr. Smith
  • Like 2

The newest Conspiricy Theory I've heard is that Petraeus was forced to quit, because he was going to Congress next week to testify about the whole Libya Ambassador murder thing and 9-11 attack. Supposedly he was going to lay it all out Straight, and name names and give testimony about who know what when. Maybe tossing Obama under the bus at the same time. And thus he was forced to quit. Supposedly the FBI had the info on him and his affair as long as a year ago.

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20276610

"He described his behaviour as "unacceptable" for the leader of the nation's main intelligence agency."

Indeed. If he can't keep an affair secret, what hope is there for the nation's secrets :D

Bill Clinton SHOULD have resigned. He lied to everybody when he said on live primetime tv, 'that I did not have sexual relations' when in fact he did but manipulated the wording. After that he can never be trusted. Same with his wife Hillary for standing by him all these years.... it speaks volumes about her inner personality. She looks like a witch these days. I digress...

• Like 1

Bill Clinton SHOULD have resigned. He lied to everybody when he said on live primetime tv, 'that I did not have sexual relations' when in fact he did but manipulated the wording. After that he can never be trusted. Same with his wife Hillary for standing by him all these years.... it speaks volumes about her inner personality. She looks like a witch these days. I digress...

yes, but Moral questions are a different matter from matters of security, which was the question with mr. P. It doesn't matter whether a President was engaged in extra-marital nookie, since he wouldn't know anything worthwhile that he might be open to blackmail over.

yes, but Moral questions are a different matter from matters of security, which was the question with mr. P. It doesn't matter whether a President was engaged in extra-marital nookie, since he wouldn't know anything worthwhile that he might be open to blackmail over.

You've said a lot of mind numbed crap since I've been here but this has GOT to be the silliest. The prez only has access to every thing

You've said a lot of mind numbed crap since I've been here but this has GOT to be the silliest. The prez only has access to every thing

I really don't know why you have to come out with this kind of silly provocation, but you really think that it's possible for the president to know all the information that the various departments and organisations deal with? Whatever the constitution may say, you really think that it isn't in all the many departments and organisations that the real decisions are made, and the pres is only let in on what he needs to know for his position of, effectively, Chairman? Surely it must be obvious that the sheer amount of data the CIA handle would make it quite impossible for the President to know everything? You don't think Govts. work on the same need to know basis as any other organisation? heavens, if the President really know everything, he'd be absolutely swamped with information. it just wouldn't be possible.

Edited by 747400
  • Like 1

ok im a little lost... So how does JIll Kelley fit in?? with her twin sister?? Petreaus mistress sent emails to Jill Kelley, for what reason?? and why did Gen Allen send innapropriate emailes to Jill Kelley?? And lastly, how does the twin sister Natalie fit into this whole scandal?? Lol someone please help me.. haha ive read numerous articles yet im still confused on whats going on. I know Petreaus had a affair with Paula Broadwell.. but the Kelley TWINS and Gen ALLEN and how they are all involved is beyond me.