Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was it a landslide victory?

supervike

Now that Florida's Electoral votes have been given the President a 332-206 trouncing, and the Popular vote was also decided, does this election count as a Landslide Victory?

I think, yes.

I'd have to say even the Republicans would say so as well.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

I would call it a landslide victory but look who he was running against. If it had of been Ron Paul I don't think he would of won by as much, maybe not at all.

It depends what you call a landslide, if you just base it on the number of electors, yes, if you base it on the popular vote certainly not and if you look at the regional differences where in Republican territory Obama was trailing Romney by up to 20% then we have to say absolutely not.

Now, if we base our assumption on those who actually matter in the whole shebang (the famous 18%) we could say: it was because Romney got less than 30% out of them.

Maybe the next time we have a situation that people vote a little more along their interests than party lines and then landslide or not will have a significance again.

Edited by questionmark

Now that Florida's Electoral votes have been given the President a 332-206 trouncing, and the Popular vote was also decided, does this election count as a Landslide Victory?

I think, yes.

I'd have to say even the Republicans would say so as well.

I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule for what constitutes a landslide.

But this was a decisive victory. A near sweep of the swing states resulting in what's certainly an Electoral College landslide, the best defense of vulnerable Senate seats for Democrats since 1964 (they went from nearly certain to lose the chamber to gaining seats, despite defending twice as many seats as the Republicans), and Democratic House candidates pulled in more votes nationwide than Republicans.

If the numbers add up and show that one guy has the lead over the other, it's a victory, I don't see why it matters whether it was a landslide or not.

If the numbers add up and show that one guy has the lead over the other, it's a victory, I don't see why it matters whether it was a landslide or not.

It matter a great deal actually when it comes to mandate to govern.

In our winner-take-all EC model (with the exception of only a couple of states), a victory by less than 1% can give the winner a tremendous EC advantage.

This nation continues to be divided fairly evenly and will continue to be so until such time as another great unifier (such as Reagan) comes on the scene.

The reason I even bring it up is because of the talk of a 'divided' country, but the numbers don't bear that out. This does make a mandate for Obama's administration.

Plus, I stumbled across this, on the uber-conservative website RedState:

http://www.redstate.com/jamesmpratt/2012/11/05/romney-internal-polling-suggests-headlines-will-read-romney-ryan-landslide-victory/

This was one of the pundit's predictions, and the numbers are almost identical (although reversed).

That fellow was calling his numbers a 'Landslide'...

The reason I even bring it up is because of the talk of a 'divided' country, but the numbers don't bear that out. This does make a mandate for Obama's administration.

Plus, I stumbled across this, on the uber-conservative website RedState:

http://www.redstate....dslide-victory/

This was one of the pundit's predictions, and the numbers are almost identical (although reversed).

That fellow was calling his numbers a 'Landslide'...

Well, there were lots of people wrong this time (including me, I expected Obama to get 290 electors and 46-48% of the popular vote), and many pollsters will have to ask themselves whether they can do it better or need to find a new job.

And a interested pundit will call it all kinds of things. That is because they suppose that many people will adhere to the majority opinion, so they "make" one. Evidently that is wrong too.

BTW, where is that goon hiding who wanted to put "I was wrong" on his signature block if Romney did not win by landslide?

BTW, where is that goon hiding who wanted to put "I was wrong" on his signature block if Romney did not win by landslide?

I've been waiting to see if he comes back. Guess I won't hold my breath.

I think our biggest problem is with our current Congress.

There's only so much a democratic President can do under these circumstances.

• Like 1