Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Ove

Dome of the Rock Alternative History

8 posts in this topic

This is the rock inside the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem

EvenShtiah_WellofSouls.jpg

What's important is the hole in the rock, seen from above in the image above and seen from inside the rock, in the image below

16t3sh.jpg

There are several rock cut rain water cisterns under the Temple Mount platform in Jerusalem (blue coloured in the drawing below)

2q1t7w6.jpg

The hole in the rock, was used to fetch water from the underground cistern !

732rv7.jpg

The rock underneath the dome of the rock, is just a water reservoir. What do you think about this alternative history ?

Or is it like this http://en.wikipedia....oundation_Stone :)

therockofthedomeofthero.jpg

Edited by Ove

You could very well be right but I doubt we will ever know 100% sure. So many of these stories you read in the bible are written sometimes hundreds of years after the fact. How factual could they be?

Drawing of the reservoir and images from inside the reservoir today.

2u7ojno.jpg

0058761-480x319.jpg

34gu88g.jpg

Edited by Ove

You could very well be right but I doubt we will ever know 100% sure. So many of these stories you read in the bible are written sometimes hundreds of years after the fact. How factual could they be?

I don't think there is one word about water cisterns under the Temple Mount platform, in the bible ?

The rock underneath the dome of the rock, is just a water reservoir. What do you think about this alternative history ?

You are probably right. But, I did not even know there was a hole in the rock there. Apparently to the Jews, the space under the Rock is called the Well of Souls. So, there is a connection with "well" right there.

AFAIK, the "Rock" under the Dome of the Rock is simply where Muhammad left Earth and then supposedly passed up into Heaven to talk to Allah. Isn't that what makes the place Holy to Muslims?

From what I've read the site of the Rock, is also called the Foundation Stone, and is supposedly where the Holy of Holies was located inside the Temple of Soloman. There are markings on the rock that corrispond to the size of the room and in the center is markings that correspond to the Ark. And also this Foundation Stone is where the Trumpets are to sound in the days of the Christian Book of Revelations.

So overall, that little patch of rock is pretty well layered in Religous significance. But, I'm still not sure the actual Hole has much meaning.

Edited by DieChecker

All kinds of stories have been made up about this particular reservoir on the Temple Mount platform. The crusaders thought a treasure was hidden inside it, so they broke into the reservoir, right next to the hole. Later the muslims made a down-going staircase were the crusaders had broken into the reservoir, and hung a lamp in the hole.

2ef40gp.jpg14khdgm.jpg

lampzl.jpg

According to Jewish tradition, the stone is the site where Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac and God`s promise to the land, Muslims believe it was Ishmael, not Isaac, who was to be sacrificed and the promise of land.

The hole must have been added later.

According to Jewish tradition, the stone is the site where Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac and God`s promise to the land, Muslims believe it was Ishmael, not Isaac, who was to be sacrificed and the promise of land.

The hole must have been added later.

I don't think so, the cistern under Caiphas House in Jerusalem have a similar hole, as do also the cistern inside Sanctuary of Abraham in Hebron (small image) Maybe the dry reservoirs later were used for other purposes, than storing water, and so became sacred spaces ?

2jeahyw.jpg