Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Otzi the Iceman Was Central Europe Native

Still Waters

Otzi the Iceman, an astonishingly well-preserved Neolithic mummy found in the Italian Alps in 1991, was a native of Central Europe, not a first-generation émigré from Sardinia, new research shows. And genetically, he looked a lot like other Stone Age farmers throughout Europe.

The new findings, reported Thursday here at the American Society of Human Genetics conference, support the theory that farmers, and not just the technology of farming, spread during prehistoric times from the Middle East all the way to Finland.

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.UKEFN2dM0dU

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• moonshadow60

• coolguy

• Ashotep

What is sad is that the poor thing has had so much removed from his body. He already looked a bit like Flat Stanley, being a mummy and all.

Thats cool they found this.i wonder how many more are out there.

He looks like an old biker.

Didn't I post this a few days ago ....may have been my facebook . I was cackling ,as it said he had relatives from sardinia ...

Otzi is Italian *rolling*

Glad we don't look like that anymore.

I dunno, at 3 and a half thousand years old, I reckon he is looking pretty good.

Why the heck are they taking a sample from there?

Edited by psyche101

We are sure learning a great deal from Otzi. Amazing find. I hope you are onto something Pinguin. Another cadaver would be great for comparisons.

I think that since the beginning of our species, there have always been individuals who just up and walk away and keep walking.

Maybe Otzi is one of these.

Or maybe he was part of a small expeditionary force, and by sheer luck, his body was the only one that was preserved for this long.

And obviously, SOMEONE didn't like him....

Successive migrations of other competitive groups, constricted the group represented by the Sardinians to their present location.

• 3 weeks later...