Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas FORMALLY requests secession

Simbi Laveau

What I find amusing in all of this Sabre - Rattling is that it was a Republican Administration (Dubya Bush) that actually removed the right of Habeaus Corpus - the most basic of all Rights.

Having literally just returned from 4 weeks in Florida (everybody needs a vacation :yes: ) during voting week, there was none of the extreme partisanship that is being displayed here, except on Fox News which I would watch for the sheer entertainment value alone.

Everyone was courteous (in a supermarket I said:"May I just get my Cart past you?", response: "I am very sorry Sir, of course you may" ). Seriously, it is 30 years since my last visit to the USA, and I am heartened to know that most folk are still polite and very accommodating.

The reason for this anecdote?: It is only the right wing extremists that are trying to foment problems in the USA - they are the people to be wary of, the people that the TMA need to target ... because the vast majority of USA Citizens are good, hard working (employed or not) , and honest people.

• Like 7

Remember what happened the last time there was secession America?

This ain't no thang. The people who believe Texas or any other state will secede are, in my opinion, as Nutter Butters as the people who want to secede.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 4

If they can get the majority (say 70% or 2/3rds) of the pop behind them. Then I say let 'em succeed. THe people have the right to self rule if the majority wants it imho

This whole thread is a mistake.

Gov. Perry has not formally asked for any sort of thing.

Please read the article.

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

Does a successful sucession mean no more Bushes in the White House?

There's still the Florida ones.

Ehm... you seem to forget Scotland in this mess, which certainly wants independence. The USA is a union of States...just a few more than Britain.

No I havnt forgot Scotland,who are being offered a referendum very soon,and can become Independant if the vote carries,but having "chatted" to Eldorado (Scottish lad) on this site,and a few other Scottish people,it would appear that a minority wants to split with England.If they want to go I wish them luck,but they are a very small Country, with a small population ,(the whole of Scotland has less population than London) so they would probably end up a small cog in the Euro machine,which I dont think would suit them.

Why?

Because they should have the ability to do so if they wish it.

The actual petition's text:

"The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government."

To quote the petition's author, "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”

Edited by Drayno

"The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government."

To quote the petition's author, "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”

Best answer I've read.

The various states opting for secession after the re-election of Obama reminds me how the original rebel states seceded after the election of Lincoln.

Well, that's fine, but as I pointed-out on a similar topic, the US Congress must also vote to agree on a state seceession from the US, just like the US Congress must vote on a regions petition to be included in the US umbrella.

It doesn't matter, in and of itself, if 100% of the population of a US state votes to seperate. The final action MUST be approved by Congress.

?? Do you really think what your saying makes any sense? If Texas votes to secede, guess what they just seceded. What does congress have to do with that? they might not recognize Texas as a seperate republic but that's just denial. If you decied to quit this fourm and we all vote that you can't(and we would) would you stay?

If we allowed Texas to secede, what would stop every other state from doing the same if they so wished?

I live in California and we have the eighth largest economy in the world. If we, Texas, and a small handful of the other more productive states seceded, what would happen to the US? What would it be like for a less productive state like North Dakota?

All I have to say is that many states depend on food and other necessities from the other states. Would these less productive states be able to survive?

It'll never happen.......

HEY HEY who told that person they could quote the founding documents when doing something concerning the goverment of this nation? Those two things don't go together them old moldy document are outdated and have no place in the modern world. Or so i've been told.

Edited by MiskatonicGrad

If we allowed Texas to secede, what would stop every other state from doing the same if they so wished?

I live in California and we have the eighth largest economy in the world. If we, Texas, and a small handful of the other more productive states seceded, what would happen to the US? What would it be like for a less productive state like North Dakota?

All I have to say is that many states depend on food and other necessities from the other states. Would these less productive states be able to survive?

It's called trade it happens everyday.

It's called trade it happens everyday.

And if say, California and Texas, etc. decided not to trade? Sure they could trade with other countries, but with what?

A hypothetical question :- If Texas did leave, then a foreign power sailed into Galveston or another port and gave an ultimatum, Surrender or we'll take you out.Would America go to their aid, as they have just dumped the rest of the States.

It'll never happen.......

Well, if Texas legitimately seceded without violence, it would be an unprecedented moment in our nation's history.. Whether or not other countries would view Texas as a legitimate, sovereign nation, is another thing. Had the rebellion in the Civil War lasted a longer period of time, with greater victories, then the international stage would have been quite different at the start of the 20th century as they probably would have acknowledged the south as independent..

States themselves were designed to be sovereign. If Texas seceded, conceptually, as the US was first designed, the rest of the states could hypothetically secede as well. We also have to take into account that if the states are truly sovereign they should not be so affected by another state leaving the Union. In my understanding, secession has always been a controversial subject. I mean, that is how the Civil War began: states rights. If Texas left the Union and became independent, trade, as MiskatonicGrad stated, is always an option - that is, unless the US decided to put sanctions on Texas to pressure them back into the Union - if they were to become independent.

To MiskatonicGrad, those documents may be outdated, but the US Constitution was made precisely to adapt to social change. Our founding fathers anticipated an influx of political and social issues after they declared independence from England and created this nation. The US Federal government, in terms of its relationship with its states, and thus by extension its people, can be comparable to the American colonies to England in the 18th century..

Taxes, taxes, taxes, national draconian laws like the removal of fair representation and due process, unwarranted violation of privacy and personal properties, limiting of free speech, increasing political persecution, the further centralization of power in the executive branch, almost non-existent transparency in terms of the Federal government's governing.. In fact, I would say Texas is more than obliged to secede.

Do I advocate another Civil War? No.

Do I advocate states rights in the face of an uber-powerful centralized Federal government? Yes.

Edited by Drayno

Looks like there might be a bit of a backlash to all this secession stuff:

https://petitions.wh...e-them/ZbMjcwPf

Where would they deport them to?

North Korea would be a good choice. ;) Then maybe they would appreciate what they had......

http://www.dallasnew...se-response.ece

Texas has asked to secede before ,or has dalied with the notion .

This request actually came from governor Rick Perry ,and this is the moron who lost to Obama last time.

Sour grapes .

(Yes I know he didnt run against him,but he was the candidate that was the comic relief of the last election)

These idiots do realize they will now all need passports ,to go into other states if they do this..

I think its time for Obama to tighten immigration laws,and see how they like it,if they need a visa to visit relatives in other states .

Morons .

Oh now we push for tighter immigration laws when we've been calling on the federal government for help with that for decades now??? Out of sight, out of mind, right? Wow.....