Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI receives $3.5M funding boost

Saru

Sorry; I believe that the particle accelerator projects are nothing more than a few bored scientists looking to justify their existence. The whole enterprise has yielded nothing as far as I can tell and should have the plug pulled ASAP. Nothing but a huge scientific scam.

This is a real head scratcher :unsure2:

I’m tipping that SETI have more chance of finding an alien life form out in the galaxy than you do posting in your tantalising testimonies thread :clap: .

I would have thought that you would be all for it , you know... finding aliens and stuff :tu:

TiP.

• Like 3

The funny thing about SETI is, the same people that believe we're being visited, are the same people who love the idea of SETI and finding alien life. That's kind of an oxymoron if you ask me. They believe alien life is visiting us, and believe we need an antenna to find alien life.

The funny thing about SETI is, the same people that believe we're being visited, are the same people who love the idea of SETI and finding alien life. That's kind of an oxymoron if you ask me. They believe alien life is visiting us, and believe we need an antenna to find alien life.

I think it's just the opposite.

Supposed extraterrestrial visitors seem rather elusive, and unwilling to provide unquestionable evidence of their existence. We may be deemed by them not ready to cope with such evidence. We might be thought ready to receive definite evidence, via radio waves, of distant stellar civilizations, with no reference to their dropping by for a visit.

The latter discovery, while momentous, would probably not be as disruptive or threatening to us as the former. Once we got used to the idea of remote extraterrestrial civilizations, the possibility of travel between the stars, and visits to Earth might begin to be slowly introduced to us.

It could all be based on the idea of reciprocity. We have already made ourselves heard in nearby parts of the galaxy, with our radio, television, and radar signals. We are technically able to receive radio signals from other star systems. We are, perhaps, prepared for this level of contact. We are still a long way from travel among the stars, so indisputable evidence that we have been visited may be withheld from us, for a time.

Edited by bison

That's because you are scientifically ignorant of the real world benefits of this kind of blue sky research.

MRI scans, PET scans and other forms of nuclear medicine, lasers, etc. are some of the real world benefits that the kind of fundamental quantum physics research that CERN, Fermilab, etc. have done in the past. Research that had no obviously direct benefits at the time, but has proven to have helped diagnose and treating cancer. These technologies only exist due to scientists doing fundamental science research without concern for immediate real world benefits.

I agree with the poster above, the anti-science prejudice is astounding.

If science is ever to be our liberator and be the Godsend it was promised to be it would have happened long before now. For every solution it provides it creates another ten types of disaster. A little adding up would have told you as much.

Science promised to be mankind's ultimate great saviour 50 years ago. In 2012 there is more stress, fatal diseases, poverty, labour (mental and physical) than there has ever been. Time to look in different directions methinks.

So who is ignorant and living in a fantasy world really?

If science is ever to be our liberator and be the Godsend it was promised to be it would have happened long before now. For every solution it provides it creates another ten types of disaster. A little adding up would have told you as much.

Science promised to be mankind's ultimate great saviour 50 years ago. In 2012 there is more stress, fatal diseases, poverty, labour (mental and physical) than there has ever been. Time to look in different directions methinks.

Probably because science can identify and see the cause much better now. So what do you think we should do, ignore science and pray more.

• Like 1

Oh darn. The world isn't perfect. Let's just get rid of science!

If science is ever to be our liberator and be the Godsend it was promised to be it would have happened long before now.
No-one (at least in this thread) claimed science was a liberator or Godsend therefore any conclusions you might draw from that are pure strawmen.
Science promised to be mankind's ultimate great saviour 50 years ago.
Are you claiming that in 1962 that there was a general consensus amongst practising scientists that within 50 years science would be mankind's "ultimate saviour" or are you making this **** up? I'd like to see some cites and references for your claims that in 1962, science was claimed to be "mankind's ultimate great saviour". I'm pretty sure you're either making this up or are exagerrating a banal claim that had no scientific concensus. Facts please.
In 2012 there is more stress, fatal diseases, poverty, labour (mental and physical) than there has ever been. Time to look in different directions methinks.
Between 1962 and 2012, the life expectancy of an average person in the USA has gone from mid-60s to 80 years plus.

Polio has been irradicated. Smallpox has since been officially declared extinct in the wild. Life-expectancy across the globe has shot upwards, even in the worst places like war-torn Africa. In my own country, TB is no longer a scourge that threatens the life of people. Etc etc.

Mankind has never had it so good. Just about every metric that measures the quality of life for the human species says that in 2012, you are better being born than in any point in the past.

It is quite clear that you are living in a fantasy world as none of your claims have come from real world sources.

Where are your facts?

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 2

All credit to Mr. Franklin Antonio for having the vision and generosity to make this donation to the SETI Institute, and to Dr. Jill Tarter who retired from her scientific work at the Allen telescope Array to engage in fundraising for the project, and is obviously very good at this new position!

• Like 2

I'm going to be a bit less tactful than the others. I'd like to offer my apologies up front. I truly don't feel good saying some of this. I'd much rather that you had provided no opening like this, but being that you've created it... here goes...

You're a bloody moron if you don't appreciate the advances given to us by science. And no, I'm not saying that you are a moron zoser. I'm just saying that it would be moronic to actually believe what you've been conveying; and I sincerely hope that you don't actually mean what you're saying.

You owe science for almost everything that you appreciate, enjoy, and hold dear. You owe science for your camera and the ability to analyze its blurry photos of insects with your computer. You owe science for your television and the radio you listen to while driving in your scientifically enhanced car. You owe science for your cell phone, assuming that you have one. You owe science for the over-the-counter medications that treat you and the dearly loved members of your family whenever mild illness strikes. You owe science for the equipment waiting in the emergency room to help diagnose, administer, and heal you if disaster were to impact your gullible existence. You owe science for the worldwide communication made feasible by the internet, which you take for granted out of spiteful ignorance while you spew your uneducated opinions upon the world. You owe science for putting both equipment and human beings in space so that they could shoot footage with scientifically engineered gadgets and provide you with the opportunity to mistakenly derive all kinds of enticing woo-woo. You owe science for all of this and much much more.

Freezers, clean energy sources like solar, wind, and hydro, electronics, key-less entry, microwave ovens, refrigerators, air conditioners, light bulbs, medical imaging equipment, long and short range communications, satellites, computers, power tools, vehicles, cleaners, sanitation products, plastics, recycling, etc, etc, etc... All thanks to advances within various scientific fields.

Imagine for a moment that you were dropped into a capsule and sent back to the middle ages. The desperate and highly superstitious masses might fall for your tantalizing testimony, but you'd undoubtedly discover a deep appreciation for the benefits of science once you were bereft of them. Hell, the first time you had to take a trip to the loo and discovered that there was no toilet paper you'd probably be wishing to be back in the here and now.

Stress, fatal disease, poverty, extreme labor, and anything else that you have latched onto as banal isn't the fault of science, it is the fault of society. Science has nothing to do with any of it aside from the fact that the fruits of science make virtually everything easier and more efficient; good and bad.

If you say that the world is very messed up, I'm right there with you. But if you want to place the blame for that on science I'm not only going to tell you that you're wrong, I'll probably scoff at you along the way for being so ridiculously moronic.

• Like 4

I do not understand,

the world power can EASILY CREATE A LIE OF "first contact",

why do they seek donations?

to make it look more realistic?

They seem desperate to make people believe,

but the lie can't come without the funding to back it up...

it is ironic really...

money=world power...

WHAT TYPE of aliens are they seeking to contact?

those who do not care about money?

or those like them who do? lol :nw:

I do not understand,

the world power can EASILY CREATE A LIE OF "first contact",

why do they seek donations?

to make it look more realistic?

They seem desperate to make people believe,

but the lie can't come without the funding to back it up...

it is ironic really...

money=world power...

Only one word comes to mind, kook.

The equivalent of throwing money on a bonfire. Pathetic waste of time and resources.

is this because we know already that we are being visited by Extraterrestrials?

• Like 1

The equivalent of throwing money on a bonfire. Pathetic waste of time and resources.

is this because we know already that we are being visited by Extraterrestrials?

There's no other reason than they're not going to find aliens using radio signals.

I think that's a fair argument. Certainly the likelihood of ETs using this old fashioned method of communications, and of our being able to detect anything from this distance, is certainly slim.

However, since SETI isn't Government funded, I don't see what harm it;s doing.

Did they ever say what the WOW signal was definativly?

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x

I think that's a fair argument. Certainly the likelihood of ETs using this old fashioned method of communications, and of our being able to detect anything from this distance, is certainly slim.

However, since SETI isn't Government funded, I don't see what harm it;s doing.

It indeed is slim, but it is really the most feasible option we have. The other option is looking for ET sending us signals by light, but I would think our chance of detecting that is even slimmer.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

So BAdeskov`s What about standing in a really Dark Field at night whit our Top Secret Craftsman Flash lights,and Tin cans and string Idea ?

You said it would work to Get E.T to Land ! :alien::tsu:

I guess Ill just google the question I posed earlier :tu:

What do you suggest?

• Like 1

Just the fact that we are attempting to contact aliens , even with 'silly radio telescopes' , will tell advance space faring civilizations that we of planet Earth are not a solitary race, that we are attempting to not be alone in the Universe. That may be all that is needed for first contact.

You have to also consider potential innovation SETI can contribute to the field of radio telescopes. We ought to have the best eye we can on the skies, there are numerous phenomena and objects out there that we should be documenting. Not every endeavour should be demanded to provide immediate results - for example we aren't being threatened by any impact events but we should be working on countermeasures against them.

• Like 1

You have to also consider potential innovation SETI can contribute to the field of radio telescopes. We ought to have the best eye we can on the skies, there are numerous phenomena and objects out there that we should be documenting. Not every endeavour should be demanded to provide immediate results - for example we aren't being threatened by any impact events but we should be working on countermeasures against them.

Every endeavour is NOT getting immediate results, and to wish that every endeavour would is in my eyes impossible..

I guess Ill just google the question I posed earlier :tu:

I didn't see this post, or the one to which it refers, until a moment ago. The 'wow signal' detected at Ohio State University in the 1970's has never been successfully ascribed to any terrestrial source, including space vehicles launched from Earth. Because of the way the duration of the signal matched that of the radio telescope beam passing through a fixed point in the sky, it is believed that the source was *at least* as distant as the Moon. Because the signal lasted for such a short time, and has never been observed to repeat, it was not possible to learn much about it. It remains a mystery, and possibly the closest we have come to detecting an intelligent, extraterrestrial signal. Edited by bison

I didn't see this post, or the one to which it refers, until a moment ago. The 'wow signal' detected at Ohio State University in the 1970's has never been successfully ascribed to any terrestrial source, including space vehicles launched from Earth. Because of the way the duration of the signal matched that of the radio telescope beam passing through a fixed point in the sky, it is believed that the source was *at least* as distant as the Moon. Because the signal lasted for such a short time, and has never been observed to repeat, it was not possible to learn much about it. It remains a mystery, and possibly the closest we have come to detecting an intelligent, extraterrestrial signal.

Is it strange that it never repeated again?