Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would knowing god existed really change.....

notoverrated

Knowing that a god existed? Nah.

Knowing a specific god existed? Maybe.

I think a mess of confusion was caused when he chose not to capitalize the G, unintentionally implying a god to many here.

Edited by _Only

be honest, if you knew for a fact that there was a god would you change anything? and how would it impact you. personaly i cant see to many changes in how i life my life if i knew for a fact that there was a god.

If I found out without a doubt that there was a god. In other words a grain of evidence. I'd admit he's real but I still wouldn't like him. An all knowing all powerful doesn't equal good to me. Would I fear him? Certainly. But fear isn't something I care to bow to. And it certainly doesn't earne my respect.

• Like 2

be honest, if you knew for a fact that there was a god would you change anything? and how would it impact you. personaly i cant see to many changes in how i life my life if i knew for a fact that there was a god.

it would change how I thought, because I do not believe in a god. But if it was proven, then i would draw up a list of questions I would want to ask him, like, if he was there all the time, was he watching the wars and all the deaths it brings? was he watching while mother nature ripped through the Earth killing many on its way? there may be some with a biblical explanation, personally, if there is a god and he did nothing, well i would next have to question his sanity.

Edited by freetoroam

If I found out without a doubt that there was a god. In other words a grain of evidence. I'd admit he's real but I still wouldn't like him. An all knowing all powerful doesn't equal good to me. Would I fear him? Certainly. But fear isn't something I care to bow to. And it certainly doesn't earne my respect.

I wholeheartedly agree, me too.

Instead of cherry picking history, why are you unable to keep with the real discussion of "evil is better"?

Your examples require the "evil" ruler to already hold some form of power. That shows power is better, not evil.

Hang on, you earlier said "It is law of the Nature itself, forming a chain of food, or survival of the strongest, where strongest define the rules."

So you're saying in nature, the strongest define the rules, however there are no rules in nature. That's a pretty glaring contradiction.

facepalm-1.gif

There may not be any rules of conduct in nature, but the behaviors that ensure species survival usually stay in place. the same is true of human society. Are there aberrations? Sure. But none of the "evil empires" lasted for very long, because the behavior didn't allow for a sustainable future. And, as time goes on, as communication becomes easier & quicker, I suspect that human consciousness will continue to evolve. Look at history. We no longer draw & quarter people, or put them on the rack, the Geneva Convention prohibits torture. The Chinese no longer bury criminals in sand up to their necks on a busy road, no one in the US would dream of deliberately spreading a deadly contagious disease like small pox. I think the idea that "evil is better" is outdated and disproved by modern civilization, and is a species-killing idea.

nope. i live my life the best way i know how. having confirmation of a supreme being would not change anything

The knowledge of God alone, is not what does a spiritual work in you. Many people "know" that God is real but it has no affect on how they conduct their lives. As another poster mentioned, the Devil didn't change by knowing about God, in fact it would seem it just makes him more angry.

If you became aware that god exists it would be because the spirit of God has shown himself to you. This would change you on its own accord, not because of some decision you made about it. You can make the choice to change, but more naturally God leans on you, your mind merges with him/her, you receive new spiritual understanding and you change because of that....

Edited by SpiritWriter

I would probably spend the majority of my extra-time saying snarky and sarcastic remarks about how I could of done way better at creating the universe.

Other then that I would be doing the same thing.

It depends on who this "god" is. Is he kind and loving? If so, I would do anything to please him or her. But if this being was a merciless despot, I would refuse to bow to him or her.

There may not be any rules of conduct in nature, but the behaviors that ensure species survival usually stay in place. the same is true of human society. Are there aberrations? Sure. But none of the "evil empires" lasted for very long, because the behavior didn't allow for a sustainable future. And, as time goes on, as communication becomes easier & quicker, I suspect that human consciousness will continue to evolve. Look at history. We no longer draw & quarter people, or put them on the rack, the Geneva Convention prohibits torture. The Chinese no longer bury criminals in sand up to their necks on a busy road, no one in the US would dream of deliberately spreading a deadly contagious disease like small pox. I think the idea that "evil is better" is outdated and disproved by modern civilization, and is a species-killing idea.

I think i see your point, development of human society shows us that people are more productive and society as a whole advances quicker, when there are rules and regulations which are same for all. But i think we misunderstood each other here in relation to definition of "evil empire". In my opinion, evil doesn't necessary equals lunatic behavior like that of Caligula for instance, but it equals any ruler which defines according to his will what is the law and what is allowed. For instance take into account Henry VIII and his desire to have male heir. In order to achieve this, he changed the laws, forced executions, split religions, did everything which he though is necessary to achieve his goal. Hence, he was evil because he didn't take into account the rights of other humans in the process. I understand that rulers often had to take into account principle of "choosing lesser evil" when making decisions, but still that doesn't make them just and fair, for lesser evil is also evil.

To have absolute freedom of action doesn't make someone evil "per se", but whenever you use that freedom to unjustly limit the freedom of any other individual, you are evil.

And in that matter, i believe our current democratic government is exception in the history of mankind. Whenever human society gets into a crisis, the democratic laws become "stretchable" and society will do whatever it takes to preserve itself.

Perhaps in these days of nuclear weapons, cooperation would be a better survival technique than aggression.

Perhaps in these days of nuclear weapons, cooperation would be a better survival technique than aggression.

I agree with you, cooperation is always better survival technique, but in general humans aren't very capable of such rationalization. We are still bound by our Monkeyspheres, where we need to group up with some people versus the others, and then respond with aggression against them just because they don't belong in our group. No matter what advancement human society has gone through, we are still very tribal species, who will practice collaboration within our group, and aggression against other groups.

I agree with you, cooperation is always better survival technique, but in general humans aren't very capable of such rationalization. We are still bound by our Monkeyspheres, where we need to group up with some people versus the others, and then respond with aggression against them just because they don't belong in our group. No matter what advancement human society has gone through, we are still very tribal species, who will practice collaboration within our group, and aggression against other groups.

Our evolution isn't over yet. We just have started to connect the world in a way it has never been connected yet before. A chance to learn from each other and work out the tribal kinks is possible. To think and feel that there is no capability is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What group is there to be aggressive against if we became one group?

If it implies an afterlife yes. Not all people who believe in god believe that they will surive death, many Jews for instance and diest. If if implied an afterlife, well yes, anyone would be a fool not to find out what they will have to answer to. Most religions have some form of hell or perhaps purgatory. For Christians, I believe hell is forever.

doug

Our evolution isn't over yet. We just have started to connect the world in a way it has never been connected yet before. A chance to learn from each other and work out the tribal kinks is possible. To think and feel that there is no capability is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What group is there to be aggressive against if we became one group?

That will never happen. Evoloution is not upward or downward, it is haphazard to say the least. I see no proof that we are capable of overcoming our nature, which is pretty dark, ugly and filled with little good. I know of no one who does not have to struggle just to be can of decent in there everyday life.

doug

I see your point, but it is very adolecent in tone. Well perhaps that is were we are at, age 14 with too much energy and not knowing how to use it....also an inability to think along rational lines for any length of time......well I am that way.

doug

I`ve been evacuated today because of the forces of nature.....looks like this god still hasn`t shown!

The point remains that there is no need for a creator. The laws of physics take care off all that for us.

Sorry brother... They do not. No need for the science of the gaps anymore than the god.

Yes, it would change everyone.

Depending on the kind deity that we knew existed, society would change in various ways. If the truth was that we we're seeded here by alien beings, then I bet most people would be less cautious about their actions.

However, if we knew for a fact that our God was someone like Yahweh or Zeus, Gods who punish the **** out of people, then obviously, society would be a very peaceful place because we'd know that punishment awaits us.

What god exactly? Yaweh who killed off half the planet for sinning, or sent bears to kill children after they insulted army men? Perhaps Zues who raped and impregnated women as various animals?

There is no god that could exist that doesn't make me sick to my stomach. If would only give me a goal to achieve, kill that disease ridden beast that calls itself god.