Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paper-thin material stops bullets

Saru

Light weight,bullet proof clothing,has existed for years . A guy in Columbia makes it,and he does custom work for people like puff daddy,jay z ,and Steven seagal .

Lots of rappers buy full wardrobes from him . The stuff is as thin as regular clothes .

It's very expensive . Our military could have it any time,but our government is too cheap .

well ain`t you the lucky one!!!

and the biggest users of guns and bombs are the military, you pay for that and so do I....not something I voted for.

Hmm now hang on just give me a minute to way up my options no military = invading army's death & destruction, rape, pillage, enslavement. On the other hand if with have a military = safe, no invasions security & quality of life. I'm sorry but at this moment in time we need our military & weapons to keep our country & borders safe from terrorists etc etc etc. :yes:
  • Like 1

Hmm now hang on just give me a minute to way up my options no military = invading army's death & destruction, rape, pillage, enslavement. On the other hand if with have a military = safe, no invasions security & quality of life. I'm sorry but at this moment in time we need our military & weapons to keep our country & borders safe from terrorists etc etc etc. :yes:

point taken. yes, we sure do need a military, unfortunately here in England, they are not keeping our country and borders safe, our borders are exactly were they should have been years ago, instead they were in iraq, now Afghanistan and for what???? they are not invading us!

If our soldiers were here defending our country fine, but they are not. We should never have gone to iraq and we should not be in Afghanistan, so when you talk about "invading army" thats exactly what we did!!

As for the death & destruction, rape, pillage, enslavement, we are not living in the middle ages here, but we sure are being invaded by other means.

As a scientist myself, I would appreciate it if people would stop lumping all scientists into the same category.

• Some scientists work on defence projects. Some don't.
  • Many defence projects are beneficial to humanity, and do not involve making weapons. (A big chunk of the internet and development of personal computers was defence funded, for example.)
  • I get really annoyed when people say things like ``scientists shouldn't be doing <blank>, they should be studying <blank>.'' Different research areas require entirely different skill sets. The scientists in question study materials. They would be no better at curing diseases than you or I would be.

Secondly, the story is about a nanothin material that can stop a bullet. The story is about this because:

• ``bullet stopping'' is a good headline, and
  • the lab had a grant from the Pentagon.

But seriously, stopping bullets is the only thing you can think of doing with this? How about a shatter-proof coating for windows (or glassware, for that matter)? How about lining the inner-tubes of tires with this to make them more puncture-resistant?

Thank you! You just saved me a lot of typing! I also get tired of people clumping scientists all together but maybe that is caused by lack of knowledge on the part of the person who does it. I think that a shatter-proof coating for windows as you suggested would be a good idea.

If the movies are correct, and your wearing a bullet proof jacket, the thud of the bullet will still leave a mark, maybe break a rib, wind you etc, and thats a thick bullet proof jacket....so a thin jacket? may stop the bullet, but bust your your bones anyway.

When they invent force-fields to stop/deflect bullets - then I will be interested

point taken. yes, we sure do need a military, unfortunately here in England, they are not keeping our country and borders safe, our borders are exactly were they should have been years ago, instead they were in iraq, now Afghanistan and for what???? they are not invading us!

If our soldiers were here defending our country fine, but they are not. We should never have gone to iraq and we should not be in Afghanistan, so when you talk about "invading army" thats exactly what we did!!

As for the death & destruction, rape, pillage, enslavement, we are not living in the middle ages here, but we sure are being invaded by other means.

I'm sorry but invading army's even in our times still have individuals who plunder, pillage, rape. And yes I don't think we should be in afghanistan either but sometimes you need to make a stand against terrorism/oppression, or you can hide in your home and hope it all blows away.
  • Like 1

I'll bet my super sharp, super-thin ice pick would get through that. :w00t:

What a world we live in! instead of finding a way of getting rid of ammunition, scientists are spending time and money on inventing things to protect us more...there is only one protection from guns, and thats to abolish them completely.

For crying out loud!! is this what our scientists have been asked to invent now? I`d have though something to protect humans from natural catastrophies and diseases would have been the first thing on the list.

Oh sure, why don't we just uninvent the atomic bomb as well. Get real.
  • Like 1

Oh sure, why don't we just uninvent the atomic bomb as well. Get real.

be nice if we could, before it uninvents us... before some power driven world leader gets too finger trigger happy.

Edited by freetoroam

I'm sorry but invading army's even in our times still have individuals who plunder, pillage, rape. And yes I don't think we should be in afghanistan either but sometimes you need to make a stand against terrorism/oppression, or you can hide in your home and hope it all blows away.

if they concentrated here instead of countries miles away, i may not have lost a friend in the London bombings.

Its about time they start looking at the flourishing islamists who recide in England, i don`t care about the islamists living on the other side of the Earth.

if they concentrated here instead of countries miles away, i may not have lost a friend in the London bombings.

Its about time they start looking at the flourishing islamists who recide in England, i don`t care about the islamists living on the other side of the Earth.

I'm sorry to hear you lost some-one close to you but it took them bombings to make the authorities stand up and realize they had a fret on home soil and at the moment I have 3 cousins all brothers over there at this moment and every time I here that another soldier got killed I wait for that phone call from my family.

I'm sorry to hear you lost some-one close to you but it took them bombings to make the authorities stand up and realize they had a fret on home soil and at the moment I have 3 cousins all brothers over there at this moment and every time I here that another soldier got killed I wait for that phone call from my family.

The authorities know we have a threat here and STILL they can not sent back the instigators!

It did not take this event for them to realise, many of us had been saying it for years while we watched buildings being turned into mosques where these people went to go and preach their hatred. They could have put a stop to the islamist uprisal here years ago, instead of trying to protect them because of their "human rights" and trying to tell us we were wrong and should "embrace them" and their "culture" and try to tell use how "diverse' we should be!

There will always be guns, even if governments abolish them, the guns will seep through the cracks of society. People who say we need to get rid of guns is short sighted beyond belief, that they will take away their own guns that can be used against criminals who "HAVE" guns. Criminals don't obey laws, they will always find a gun. Better to develop a way to stop and protect people from bullets, than to try a impossible quest to rid the world of guns.

Here's the thing

- it's based on nano technology, which is still in it's infancy relatively speaking.

- It is paper thin, great for layering me thinks and over other sturdy impact absorbing materials, even better.

- It is light weight.

I'm thinking there are going to be some great uses for this in the space program, which has real "wow" potential for any manned long distance space flights.

I'm also thinking as an early prototype of impact absorbing nano-technology, there is potential for huge breakthroughs in safety for the airline and automobile industries going forward - imagine if the coming generations of this technology (which will no doubt improve) could be spray painted onto your car for instance?

Lives could be saved by high velocity impact absorbing materials in many arenas of life.

• 2 weeks later...

There´d be a real market for this in many modern cities.

Edited by Zaphod222

Developing such material is one thing, but producing it is another.