Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speaking glove helps stroke victim talk again

Still Waters

Bill Broad, 73, from Sheffield, suffered a stroke in 2010 leaving him unable to speak, forcing him to spell out words on an alphabet chart when trying to communicate with his daughter Keeley Bellamy.

But now the former miner and athletics coach is first to be testing a new technology that can translate hand gestures into speech.

Sensors fitted into a leather glove he wears on his left hand can detect his hand movements, converting them into a synthesised voice. It has allowed him to tell his family when he is hungry or thirsty, to ask the time and to say “thank you”.

http://www.telegraph...king-glove.html

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• me-wonders

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very interesting. I associate with people who have disabilities and it makes me happy when I learn of solutions to the problems they face. Hum, happy, an emotional response. I am wondering if this feeling of happiness and hope can be transmitted to kids in slum schools who are less apt to experience happiness and hope, by doing a video of people with disabilities and the new technology that helps them?