Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist tactics in Calif

ranrod

The olny "childish behaviour" I see in all this is the vandalism of the displays.

lol @ your post.. before you edited it.

Edited by Eldorado

Yes, but then the person having the ice cream tries to get their favorite ice cream made mandatory for everyone. You're not a true patriot if you don't like this ice cream. You will be sent to a place where you can only eat turds after you die if you don't take this ice cream.

You can only reach office if you like this ice cream. Ect.

You seem to be looking at only this one incident when there's a good deal more going on than just this Christmas display.

Now personally, I don't associate (though I keep informed) with any of the bigger Atheist groups in the US. I'm instead a member of several skeptic groups. Atheist groups are to narrow focused and to political for my liking, with exceptions. Unfortunately those exceptions (like Ask an Atheist, based out of Washington State) don't get as much attention as the jerks, as anyone will tell you.

I think I see what you mean. Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances. The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.

• Like 1

lol @ your post.. before you edited it.

I edited it because I saw that it went to far and to have a little decorum. I see now that I shouldn't have tried.

I edited it because I saw that it went to far and to have a little decorum. I see now that I shouldn't have tried.

I see. You've made the assumption that I'm a bigoted Christian have you? FYI... I "hate" almost every "Church" on this planet. Doesn't stop me from considering myself Christian though. i.e. tolerant, forgiving and peaceful.

Good luck to you and your ilk in your hatred of the majority of earth's population.

Edited by Eldorado

Yes, Christians stole that date and features of stories, as many religions and cultures do between each other. But they stole it to make their own Christian holiday, Christmas, celebrating the birth of their God's son, which is what the church put a display up of. That's all.

But they kept the pagan tradition of keeping and decorating a evergreen tree in their house to encourage the sun to shine stronger

• Like 3

3pdb5j.jpg3pcw42.jpg3pczme.jpgqm.gifqm.gif3pvyyu.jpg

qm.gif

I've actually met a number of Fundie Jewish folks and read a number of stories of Fundie Jewish folks doing just that. By and large, I think it seems that Judaism has a leg up on raising smart and intelligent people. Certainly, a good chunk of recent famous scientists were culturally Jewish. (Einstein, Feynman, Sagan)

I think I see what you mean. Although those booths could go to anyone wanting to put up a Holiday presentation, Atheists felt the predominantly Christian displays affected public perceptions and gave more weight to the Christian views and stances. The Atheists then put up their own displays to level the playing field, at which point Christians threw a hissy fit, which escalated to the event being withdrawn.

That's what I'm getting. Might be wrong.

I see. You've made the assumption that I'm a bigoted Christian have you? FYI... I "hate" almost every "Church" on this planet. Doesn't stop me from considering myself Christian though. i.e. tolerant, forgiving and peaceful.

Good luck to you and your ilk in your hatred of the majority of earth's population.

I have done no such thing. And I don't see how you got that out of my posts.

I've actually met a number of Fundie Jewish folks and read a number of stories of Fundie Jewish folks doing just that. By and large, I think it seems that Judaism has a leg up on raising smart and intelligent people. Certainly, a good chunk of recent famous scientists were culturally Jewish. (Einstein, Feynman, Sagan)

There's all kinds, of course. Just found the opportunity to use these to add a little levity.

That's what I'm getting. Might be wrong.

I think your explanation is right on. :tu:

That's what I'm seeing in all this too.

I just want to point out that the booths are given out in a lottery process, last year Atheist just happened to win the most, 18 of 21. I think that was a big part of the problem for Christians as they only got 2 of them.

Ban Christmas and Easter! (and all Holidays)

The Christians want to celebrate Christmas. What is the motive of the atheists? To upset and annoy Christians? I think so. It certainlty ain't cos they want to give up all those holidays they get.

There's all kinds, of course. Just found the opportunity to use these to add a little levity.

No! This serious business. :geek:

I think your explanation is right on. :tu:

It's certainly the one most favorable to my side. Which makes me suspicious... :unsure:

• Like 1

The Christians want to celebrate Christmas. What is the motive of the atheists? To upset and annoy Christians? I think so. It certainlty ain't cos they want to give up all those holidays they get.

Not all of us celebrate christian holidays, you know.

• Like 2

Not all of us celebrate christian holidays, you know.

Would you agree that plenty of "atheists" are only out to annoy Christians? For their own pleasure and amusement. As our own UM forums clearly show.

Edited by Eldorado

Would you agree that plenty of "atheists" are only out to annoy Christians? For their own pleasure and amusement. As our own UM forums clearly show.

I would not. Most atheists could care less about christians unless asked or provoked. There are a small few who do try to annoy, but that certainly is not the "only" thing that they are out to do.

I could just as easily say that most christians are just out to annoy me and other disbelievers.

Forums are different. The confrontation is forced and focused here. In public, you don't just walk up to a group of people and tell them that ancient aliens are real, or you are being attacked by a demon, you can 'prove' god is real, etc. The forums here are designed for people to discuss such things.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

I personally don't mind Christian holiday celebrations. Caroling, lights, even nativity scenes. Mostly because of nostalgia I suppose. Although I'm a non-believer I was surrounded by such things during my childhood.

The incident in Santa Monica comes from Atheists promoting their ideology alongside Christians in a public forum. Although I think I see the reasoning behind it, the mocking nature of the atheist booths can still be considered distasteful. At the end of the day, public areas should remain neutral and in a diverse society like ours, trying to appease everyone leads to chaos.

• Like 1

That`s not a very "tolerant" post from you. are you a christian perhaps?!!

I'm not a Christian, but I agree with what he said, as it looks past the us vs. them of certain groups, and strips it to the core of what someone did to someone else. Doing something in a passive agressive manner to incite negativity from another. It's an ugly thing that they did that just because they don't believe in the same thing as the other person, they can poke them on their holiday, until they get a negative reaction. Just bad stuff. Put yourself in the other's shoes, and see if you would like to be treated in that way.

Back to us vs. them I guess, though.

edit: wrong name in quote

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

I would not. Most atheists could care less about christians unless asked or provoked.

Then why are they here every day and night picking fights with Christians without any provocation.

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums. Why? If they care not a jot about theism? Like I've already stated, and it's only my opinion, it's because they love feeling superior in intelligence. Putting the boot into the less intelligent is good sport, apparently, and perfectly acceptable in the atheist world.

Edited by Eldorado

Not exactly. Many atheists are outspoken, yes. Much of what they say does antagonize Christians and other theists.

Not so much purposefully, but by the very nature of what's being said.

• Like 1

Then why are they here every day and night picking fights with Christians without any provocation.

I'd not equate "most atheists" to the atheists on this forum.

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums. Why? If they care not a jot about theism? Like I've already stated, and it's only my opinion, it's because they love feeling superior in intelligence. Putting the boot into the less intelligent is good sport, apparently.

You can say that about every forum here where the discussion is between believers and non-believers of any subject, and be equally right for both sides.

• Like 1

As you know.. there are "atheists" on here who are most active in the religious forums. Why? If they care not a jot about theism?

I don't presume to know why anybody does anything on this site. Why do people claim to have psychic powers? Or claim they are werewolves or vampires? Or insist every report of a strange creature is some kind of strangely evolved hyrax?

The anonymity certainly emboldens some, sure. Perhaps some of these people are never in the position to converse with people of such diverse faiths outside of this site.

Credit where credit is due, there are PLENTY of believers who are just looking to annoy as there are nonbelievers.

• Like 1

You can say that about every forum here where the discussion is between believers and non-believers of any subject, and be equally right for both sides.

That fact also remains that there is a negative correlation between intelligence and religious belief.

http://davesource.com/Fringe/Fringe/Religion/Average-intelligence-predicts-atheism-rates-across-137-nations-Lynn-et-al.pdf

• Like 1

Credit where credit is due, there are PLENTY of believers who are just looking to annoy as there are nonbelievers.

The difference is that they are defending what they believe. Atheists don't believe in anything, so what are they defending against?

Nothing; they're attacking the rest, who are wrong.

With respect, I wouldn't use "discussion". It seems to me that 21st Century society has decided that it's fashionable and fine to put the boot into Christians. Not so much with Islamists of course, lest they are called "racist". Hypocrisy on a grand scale, imo, just as most Churches are hypocritical in their practices.

We, society, are 'full of it'. In my opinion.

That fact also remains that there is a negative correlation between intelligence and religious belief.

http://davesource.co...-Lynn-et-al.pdf

I can't do it. Why do I care so much if I'm not even involved in any religion (of which I feel all are harmful to us all)? It's the passive aggressive insults given a moral higher ground because one side feels they are right. Religious people are less intelligent; message received. I can't read this any more; I want to sleep tonight.

• Like 1