Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Channeling Spirits Shuts Down Parts Of Brain

Still Waters

During a trance-like session of psychography, experienced mediums in Brazil allow themselves to become receptive to spirits or dead souls. Then they write automatically, channeling the voices of those they believe to be speaking to them.

As these mediums communicate with the dead, found a new study, parts of their brains involved in language and purposeful activity shut down, alongside other patterns of increased and decreased activity.

The findings add to our limited understanding of how the spiritual brain works, though for now, science cannot speak to the existence of the spirit world.

http://news.discover...ums-121116.html

• Like 2

Interesting. I would think its the opposite . The pineal gland is responsible for a lot of this kind of brain function . I would assume the brain is hyper active at such a time ,not half shut off ....hmmmm...

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. It would be nice if more scientific studies ( with more detail and subjects ) could be done with things like this.

From the article -

The parts that shut down while the spirits moved their hands are areas normally involved in actively writing, concentrating and processing language, Newburg said. Similar trends showed up in a previous study of people who spoke in tongues. Both groups shared the common belief that spirits moved through them to be heard.

Novices in the new study showed the opposite pattern, with increased activity in the same parts of the brain that shut down in the advanced practitioners, suggesting that training improves the ability of the brain to enter a spirit-channeling state.

This is really interesting that they can show a before and after pattern that supports that something 'different' really is happening in the brain with experienced mediums/trance states. But further more that it is something which takes development or training to actually improve, a marked difference between the novice and the experienced medium.

It shows more support to the fact there is something not only to train and improve there, but that it is less likely to be 'made up' or chance, or normal imagination processes being applied. The areas of the brain for activities and normal (primal) language decreased. Or there would be no stark difference with between the novice and expert language centres in relation to becoming more complex and more expert.

To Newburg's surprise, experienced psychographers also consistently produced more complex language on the page when they entered a trance state.

"You would expect this to mean that language areas were more active because they were making more detailed writings," he said. "In fact, it was just the opposite. The less active the brain was and the more expert the person was, the more complex the writing was."

Hehe I would love to know if the difference is between the ego mind consciousness and higher self mind consciousnesses trance state. If the experienced mediums were in trance, they would metaphysically, be said to be projecting their consciousness. Projection/ astral projecting.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 1

wow, this is really odd indeed, since you do stuff what you don't do usually, you would assume that the brain is more active.....

fascinating.....

• Like 1

Interesting. I would think its the opposite . The pineal gland is responsible for a lot of this kind of brain function . I would assume the brain is hyper active at such a time ,not half shut off ....hmmmm...

Spirits are active on very low brainwave frequencies...thus the lower brain activity when they take over. That is why psychics must have a very calm "mind" to be a clear channel, to be open to spiritual calmness to hear the other side more clearly. Read more on delta brainwaves: http://4mind4life.com/blog/2008/04/07/understanding-the-delta-brainwave/

Edited by araxia

Spirits are active on very low brainwave frequencies...thus the lower brain activity when they take over. That is why psychics must have a very calm "mind" to be a clear channel, to be open to spiritual calmness to hear the other side more clearly. Read more on delta brainwaves: http://4mind4life.co...elta-brainwave/

We will never know until Scientists do a study on Psychics...... :blush:

I am sure some Psychics should be able to tell us when that will be... :st

Edited by Sakari

Very interesting research. Reminds me of something I read in a research paper about multiple personality disorders years ago.

They studied one woman who would go on sometimes years as one person and "wake up another" neither personality knew about the other and more or less had amnesia. She was married and had a child and husband. He didn't mind because he could cheat on the wife because she was same person and he loved both of them even though they were each very different people LOL

This was where it got interesting to me, one personality was a type a diabetic and had other proven illnesses but when personality B took over she didn't have to take insulin and other documented illness symptoms would disappear! The researcher said he was lucky to get her as a case study because husband knew something was going on and she was studied. I guess a lot of them disappear and turn up in weird places and don't have steady relationships and even relatives have no idea.

They studied her brain and discovered not only her bodily functions had changed but so did the different functioning areas of the brain just like these mediums in the post.

I think of Einstein too, I remember reading some of the research they did on his brain. I'm being nice when I say he was considered dimwitted in childhood. He couldn't concentrate on school work and was daydreaming all the time. They speculated that he was connecting to unused parts of the brain and had a better link between right and left sides then most people. I always thought he was a channeller too in a way. I would speculate as he grew older his subconscious was taking in a lot of different information in an unusual way and later he learned to link with that part of himself in a way to function in a better way and become more "normal" as he got older. Imagination to test the theories in his head before doing them would have its advantages. I remember him being quoted somewhere saying when he was daydreaming as a kid all these thoughts and visions of the universe that kept coming to him, and he'd try to work it out in his head to piece it together. That's why I came to the consclusion he was a channeller using the same areas of the brain as these mediums.

Levels of the consciousness touching each other brings out some really weird things. I think some people don't understand what they are communicating with , whether it's inside or out side of themselves. I believe it can be both but it's a fine line to say what you are really "tuning in" with...we need more studies like this :)

Edited by White Unicorn

Very interesting insight on the spiritual mind. I hope they do more research onto this topic to see how science can truly explain psychics and other supernatural phenomena

This was where it got interesting to me, one personality was a type a diabetic and had other proven illnesses but when personality B took over she didn't have to take insulin and other documented illness symptoms would disappear!

That is really really cool. hmmmm :nw: . I want more studies about that.

"At the moment, all we're really doing is saying that this is what happens in the brain when you do this particular practice." ...just thought this line was interesting... obviously something is going on but they are not willing to put money on the statement that ghosts and spirits are at play/work here.

Very interesting research. Reminds me of something I read in a research paper about multiple personality disorders years ago.

They studied one woman who would go on sometimes years as one person and "wake up another" neither personality knew about the other and more or less had amnesia. She was married and had a child and husband. He didn't mind because he could cheat on the wife because she was same person and he loved both of them even though they were each very different people LOL

This was where it got interesting to me, one personality was a type a diabetic and had other proven illnesses but when personality B took over she didn't have to take insulin and other documented illness symptoms would disappear! The researcher said he was lucky to get her as a case study because husband knew something was going on and she was studied. I guess a lot of them disappear and turn up in weird places and don't have steady relationships and even relatives have no idea.

They studied her brain and discovered not only her bodily functions had changed but so did the different functioning areas of the brain just like these mediums in the post.

I think of Einstein too, I remember reading some of the research they did on his brain. I'm being nice when I say he was considered dimwitted in childhood. He couldn't concentrate on school work and was daydreaming all the time. They speculated that he was connecting to unused parts of the brain and had a better link between right and left sides then most people. I always thought he was a channeller too in a way. I would speculate as he grew older his subconscious was taking in a lot of different information in an unusual way and later he learned to link with that part of himself in a way to function in a better way and become more "normal" as he got older. Imagination to test the theories in his head before doing them would have its advantages. I remember him being quoted somewhere saying when he was daydreaming as a kid all these thoughts and visions of the universe that kept coming to him, and he'd try to work it out in his head to piece it together. That's why I came to the consclusion he was a channeller using the same areas of the brain as these mediums.

Levels of the consciousness touching each other brings out some really weird things. I think some people don't understand what they are communicating with , whether it's inside or out side of themselves. I believe it can be both but it's a fine line to say what you are really "tuning in" with...we need more studies like this :)

To add a new link about Einstein's daydreaming http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9695290/Daydreaming-really-is-the-key-to-solving-complex-problems.html