Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars discovery "one for the history books"

Imaginarynumber1

I'm voting something carbon based. Maybe something simple like graphite. Maybe Methane, or a simple ether, or ester?

You do know that AIDS is a disease and not a bacteria don't you? You do also know that it is a viral disease and not a bacteriological one?

Let's assume he made a joke.

.....sigh.....

• Like 3

But perhaps the most popular Curiosity meme have been the tweets from someone calling themselves "@SarcasticRover."

"Finally ready to start the day!" one tweet begins.

"Looking forward to staring at ******* dirt for the next two years."

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Curiosity_Finds_Humor_on_Mars_999.html

digging-mars.jpg

mars_joke.jpg

• Like 4

Did you read it? The reveal comes in a couple of weeks once they double check the data..

Give them enough time to airbrush the pictures .... :innocent:

• Like 1

Fascinating! I wonder what it will be? Running water? A new cave system? Dare we hope that life or the remnants of life might have been discovered?

The wait is going to be painful.......

You know it'll be about the discovery of some chemical element that they didn't think was there hitherto, of course, which will no doubt be of great interest to the Scientific community but will hardly be enough for those of us who want them to release information about the alien cities ....

Last time they made an historic announcement I died if boredom and needed resuscitation. It will be some dull carbon chemical

I assume it's less exiting than ketchup :

It wasn't scientific caution that kept Zare from announcing his results. It was a rule many scientific journals enforce that says scientists are not allowed to talk about their research until the day it's officially published. Zare had to follow the rules if he wanted his paper to come out.

He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare. And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids.

"Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.' So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

http://www.npr.org/2...sts-mum-for-now

(but it could be about the 1996 discovery)

My guess: iridium.

Edited by Abramelin

Well the last huge discovery they made was that lifeform on earth and they didn't really make thta big of a deal out of it.

So by the way they are boldly saying it's "one for the history books" it must be a bigger discovery than that surely.

Or they are causing loads of hype, if so then it's a pretty pathetic thing to do. Also why nto jsut tell everyone what they think they have found and then say "but we are not sure yet?" What's with all the hype and then makign a big deal out of it. It's like they treat the public like children. Media does this with games and films etc with announcements, I expect more from Nasa. :td:

They have discovered evidence of Elithium....... the fact they found this evidence inside a dead Muton half buried in the Martian sand is beside the point, the fact is..... they found evidence of a new element!

If they've found sufficiently complex organic compounds, the most reasonable explanation for them would be the presence of life on Mars. Whatever it is they've found, we won't have to wait too long to hear about it. The news conference about this matter will reportedly be held at the meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco on Dec. 3rd through 7th.

Did you read it? The reveal comes in a couple of weeks once they double check the data..

This was originally posted on the UFO boards. I never post anything here because you-know-who told me to get lost and never come back.

• Like 1

Maybe they will find evidence that WE ARE THE MARTIANS! We wrecked one world and started over on another. The cycle repeats. Venus is next!

Last time they made an historic announcement I died if boredom and needed resuscitation. It will be some dull carbon chemical

Yes, exactly. The kind of things that Scientists consider epoch making is not necessarily what the ordinary Person would.

The phrase the NASA scientist used was 'one for the history books'. I doubt that this new discovery will be of interest to scientists only, and boring to almost everyone else. If they had something of this sort, he could have said, instead: 'it will cause us to rewrite the textbooks on Mars'. We'll know what it is in a couple of weeks.

Edited by bison

Hot dog stand?

"Looking forward to staring at ******* dirt for the next two years."

Try doing a geology degree. Staring at dirt for 3 years. Curiosity doesn't know how lucky it is... :P

Or they are causing loads of hype, if so then it's a pretty pathetic thing to do. Also why nto jsut tell everyone what they think they have found and then say "but we are not sure yet?" What's with all the hype and then makign a big deal out of it. It's like they treat the public like children. Media does this with games and films etc with announcements, I expect more from Nasa. :td:

No, it's just how these things are done in the scientific community. Word always gets out about an interesting result so they issue a statement to say they found something and will explain more when they are sure. There's few things more damaging to a scientist's reputation than publishing a groundbreaking result then having to retract it.

Look, it was probably just Curiousity having to go to the bathroom.

It was a long trip, ya know. :passifier:

Maybe it could be what we hope... But different. Imagine we find life, but not bacterial or sentient or creature, but plants. Imagine we find oil. Which means the existence of life at some earlier time. When people go "life" they think of big aliens with huge eyes, you know, standard greys, but it would be just as amazing to find bacteria or even plants!

Lots of time for clandestine governments to cover it up !

No, it's just how these things are done in the scientific community. Word always gets out about an interesting result so they issue a statement to say they found something and will explain more when they are sure. There's few things more damaging to a scientist's reputation than publishing a groundbreaking result then having to retract it.

OR just release a statement saying "it COULD be.... and we jsut want to make sure before comfirming it". OR don't say anything at all until the information is correct. That seems more mature and intelligent instea dof making an announcement liek it's an Xfactor final.

The fact they say it will chnage the history books will make them look far worse than any cliam if it turns out not to be correct. So that suggests they have confidence in their find. Making an announcement for an anouncement is just typical media style garbage, I thought better of NASA than that.