Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some help please about 12/21/12 beliefs.

willowdreams

OK, *I* am aware of two doomsday scenarios for 12/21/12

1. Mayan one

2. Nibiru

I personally do not believe in either of these things. However, I find myself at a loss on how to 'explain' this to a few pple who seemingly think I really should believe 12.21.12 is the 'end'.

I ask if any of you can help me here.

1. One of my friends insists that the heavens are going to align.. yada yada you all know the rest..

I just want to know this, *if* this thing is true, would we not already begin seeing the 'planets' and such align? If so, what shoudl be we seeing now that would prove the truth.. and umm.. the earths magnetic core changing.. surely we would see something happening already? I hate just looking at her and saying 'you know how stupid you sound?' i would actually like to give her something to 'see' if her scenario was correct.

and 2. OMG.. I had no idea pple still really seriously believed in Nibiru coming to put an end to us on 12/21/12. until one boy was in lunch room arguing up and down that the planet is coming, and will kill us all, yadda yadda yadda... (I call him boy, he is in his 20's, what can I say, age diff here). All anyone there could say 'if it were really that close to being here by dec 21, we would see It by now, and he insists with all this weird weather, earth quakes, as well as the sun spots and such.. we tried to tell him that this is all basically normal as we know it from 'recorded history to today', he was just very very insistant..

the thing is.. IF such a thing was going to happen.. WHAT would be the signs we would most definitely be showing that would prove it?

Maybe it sounds weird, but I would like to at least SEEM smart here, and not just say 'you know how stupid all this sounds?'.. and actually have something decent to say that proves they are wrong..

anyone here can answer this? In either case, what would we be seeing NOW, this close to dec 21 that would prove that we nay sayers are wrong?

If we cannot see the facts that should be there, for all to see.. to make their case correct.. then they are wrong.

That is my logic of it.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Adding this on as an edit.. is it me, is it just me.. or is it mostly the younger people who are so anxious to believe in the end of the world doomsday stuff? (i know, exceptions, older generations do believe, just in my experience it seems more the young).. I wonder this because at my job site, from january through june.. when it is just us full timers.. and many have been there like me from 8 years to 40!... when we are in the lunch room we talk bout the latest news events, or the menfolk will go on and on about sports, or we talk about some tv show we just love to hate or a good book.. but from aug to december, when our job hires 100+ seasonal/temps, and the majority are high school kids to upper 20's.. the discussions seem to move away from what we older ones are into, and suddenly we are thrust into these doomsday things, or discussions about the lastest image on the moon or mars that means aliens were there! the topics swing more when the younger are there, and this yr it seems to be doomsday doomsday

this could just be my imagination.. JUST wondered if anyone else noticed.

Edited by willowdreams
  • Like 1

no no no no don't explain anything make a bet, if doomsday happens on the 12/21/12 then you have to *insert bet* but if it doesn't they have to *insert bet* so no matter what if doomsday happens and everyone is dead well then there is no way to do the bet >.> but if it doesn't happen then you got them!! (i have already made 4 bets)

• Like 2

I guess it makes life more exciting to think death is just around the corner.

I guess it makes life more exciting to think death is just around the corner.

Well on the plus side if the world ends I don't have to go to work in the morning.
  • Like 1

Nibiuru would be the easiest to disprove - it's supposed to be the size of Jupiter and arriving at Earth in December.

If so it should be visible IN THE DAY TIME by now and certainly at night, to the naked eye.

• Like 2

A galactic alignment will occur, as it does twice every year where the sun appears to rise along the galactic center. http://www.universet...ctic-alignment/

NIbiru is fiction. Some woman claimed to channel some alien and the rest is just a tug job. Also, as mentioned, you would see it in the sky by now. The excuse it that it's approaching from the south pole, but there is no "blind spot" on the planet. It would readily visible to the majority of the Southern Hemisphere.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Why is it whenever I channel an ale in all that happens is I get a hangover, why don't I see mystical planets full of super-advanced reptile people?

• Like 1

Why is it whenever I channel an ale in all that happens is I get a hangover, why don't I see mystical planets full of super-advanced reptile people?

You're not doing it right. You have to believe or it won't work.

Since it literally takes years of time for the Outer Planets to move anywhere, and they are not even close to being aligned today. A planetary alignment is not going to happen.

http://www.fourmilab.../action?sys=-Sf

Also, there is talk of the Galactic Alignment. Well, that is fake too. There is a galactic gravity plane, but the Earth passed through it millions of years ago and is not due to swing back for millions more.

Based on the solar system's current position (27 +/- 4 pc, or 75 to 101 light years) above the galactic plane and the fact that we are currently moving away from it, with an estimated passage through it about 3 million years ago, we are not due to re-encounter the galactic plane for quite some time. We won’t be back through the disk for another 30 million years!

http://www.2012hoax.org/galactic-plane

As to the Mayan Calendar... They have recently found another one that... wait for it... does not end in Dec 2012!!

Numerous doomsday predictions are based on the claim that previously known codieces, like the famous Dresden Codex, chart the entire length of human history, but mysteriously stop on December 21, 2012 as if the Mayans knew that would be the last day humans would be around. However, the archeologists say that these the newly discovered tables — which pre-date the oldest known codex by as much as 500 years — span over 7,000 years of time, stretching far beyond of present age. So, you can breathe a little easier, though the news will come as a big shock to the tourism industry in Belize and other "entreprenuers" who are willing to take all your money off your hands before the big one hits.

http://www.theatlant...end-2012/52191/

As to Nibiru... If it was coming so soon, it would be close enough to be Seen By the Naked Eye at this point. I mean it would take Mars almost a year to swing over and hit the Earth even with its orbital velocity was somehow turned perpendicular. Since we don't see it, and we don't see any gravitational effects. (Which we would see.) I mean... we detect worlds the size of Earth around other stars by their gravity effect on their sun for Crying out Loud. How could a big rocky planet hide litterally right next door? And if Nibiru is coming super fast, then hell, it will shoot through faster then any craft ever made by man could catch, so I don't see how anyone could move from there to here anyway.

Q: Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Planet X or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?

A: Nibiru and other stories about wayward planets are an Internet hoax. There is no factual basis for these claims. If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist. Eris is real, but it is a dwarf planet similar to Pluto that will remain in the outer solar system; the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles.

http://www.nasa.gov/...012.html#nibiru

Let's see what else???

Earth's magnetic core reversal.... This has happened many times, relatively commonly in fact. Which is what makes people so scared I guess. But, the reality is that science has tracked this event using crystals in volcanic stones of varying ages to show that this effect occurs over tens of thousands of years, not minutes, hours or days. And it generally starts with the field going toward zero for centuries, which we have not seen yet. And... since it has happened so often, then it is easy to say that it is not an Appocolypse event, but simply a chance to get a sunburn a little easier.

Changing frequency over time

The rate of reversals in the Earth's magnetic field has varied widely over time. 72 million years ago (Ma), the field reversed 5 times in a million years. In a 4-million-year period centered on 54 Ma, there were 10 reversals; at around 42 Ma, 17 reversals took place in the span of 3 million years. In a period of 3 million years centering on 24 Ma, 13 reversals occurred. No fewer than 51 reversals occurred in a 12-million-year period, centering on 15 million years ago. Two reversals occurred during a span of 50,000 years. These eras of frequent reversals have been counterbalanced by a few "superchrons" – long periods when no reversals took place.

Duration

Most estimates for the duration of a polarity transition are between 1,000 and 10,000 years. However, studies of lava flows on Steens Mountain, Oregon, indicate that the magnetic field could have shifted at a rate of up to 6 degrees per day about 15 million years ago. This was initially met with skepticism from paleomagnetists. Even if changes occur that quickly in the core, the mantle, which is a semiconductor, is thought to act as a low-pass filter, removing variations with periods less than a few months. A variety of possible rock magnetic mechanisms were proposed that would lead to a false signal. However, paleomagnetic studies of other sections from the same region (the Oregon Plateau flood basalts) give consistent results. It appears that the reversed-to-normal polarity transition that marks the end of Chron C5Cr (16.7 million years ago) contains a series of reversals and excursions. In addition, geologists Scott Bogue of Occidental College and Jonathan Glen of the US Geological Survey, sampling lava flows in Battle Mountain, Nevada, found evidence for a brief, several year long interval during a reversal when the field direction changed by over 50°. The reversal was dated to approximately 15 million years ago.

http://en.wikipedia....gnetic_reversal

Now go forth and Fight Ignorance. and if they will not listen, at least you tried and have the knowledge that the Facts (and Logic) are on your side.

Edited by DieChecker

You're not doing it right. You have to believe or it won't work.

I tried believing I wouldn't get hungover ... I ended up both disappointed and with a headache.

• Like 3

Ahhh sounds like you are being forced by new agers to believe as they do or else, who knows what the f..u..ck what? LMAO...

IMO stay away from new age BS, live in the moment, in the NOW, you can die before the end of the world or any natural disaster visits your hometown, so enjoy and live life while you still can.

All these end of the world prophecies (sjoe-wee another mayan calander was discovered, another date for the end, wait hold on I am still fretting over the first one that was said to HIT earth in 2000 lol) are just negative energies and suck the life out of you, wanting you to feel bad and depressed...

And this vampire sucking end of the world dogma shizness only prevents you from completing your spiritual journey in the here and now, if you keep on holding unto something that is irrelevant for your spiritual path!

Relax if the sh!xt hits the fan, you know at least you lived and did NOT sit in a small room all day on your computer stressing yourself up about tales of doom... Don't let life pass you by by letting new age demons seduce you and take your focus off LIFE... Life is really beautiful outside of new age paradigms...

Edited by araxia

Now go forth and Fight Ignorance. and if they will not listen, at least you tried and have the knowledge that the Facts (and Logic) are on your side.

you know, i do worry about our younger generations.. I had a young girl, about 17 come to me the other day at work and she asked .. "joan, I need help, I have a teacher in New Orleans, and I am trying to do a name lookup, I typed in NO for the state New Oleans, but got no results, why?"

After I closed my eyes and swallowed, I looked at her and said 'honey, type her first and last name, and put LA as the state. She asked why LA and I said 'because New Orleans is NOT a state, it is a city."

I was stunned that I had to explain to her, and more stunned when she said 'but isn't LA a city in California?".. I then had to tell her it is Louisiana...

I worry worry worry about the future.. and not because of a doomsday either.

• Like 4

Well on the plus side if the world ends I don't have to go to work in the morning.

Or pay taxes

• Like 2

This is only for those with open minds.

It is not just the Mayan calender, but also I Ching which when put into a chart looks like a heart beat and this stops. Then there is the Pyramid of Giza which may be like the I Ching chart of a heart beat, only it is built with stone, and is a record of history built in the form of hall ways that pass through the pyramid marking the different period of time, There is also astrology and Tarot cards, that can be seen as complimenting the rest.

But this end of not the end of all things, but a beginning, and if you want an understanding of this, you can go to

http://www.lawoftime...andhistory.html

I am back. I finally found an explanation of fractals and I Ching that goes with above information. http://survive2012.com/index.php/fractal-ching.html

Edited by me-wonders

This is only for those with open minds.

It is not just the Mayan calender, but also I Ching which when put into a chart looks like a heart beat and this stops. Then there is the Pyramid of Giza which may be like the I Ching chart of a heart beat, only it is built with stone, and is a record of history built in the form of hall ways that pass through the pyramid marking the different period of time, There is also astrology and Tarot cards, that can be seen as complimenting the rest.

But this end of not the end of all things, but a beginning, and if you want an understanding of this, you can go to

http://www.lawoftime...andhistory.html

I am back. I finally found an explanation of fractals and I Ching that goes with above information. http://survive2012.com/index.php/fractal-ching.html

why do you care if all these things POINT to the end of the world? Everyone must die eventually be it before or after the "end" of this world? It seems to me those who are frightened to die and do not believe in another world than this one goes ballistic about stuff like this all the time. Do you have a fear of dying? What does all these "end of the world" stuff matter in anyway? Or at least to you?

Wonder what will happen when 2013 rolls around without incident and the doomsday theorist are left with nothing more than revising "The Date"

• Like 1

Wonder what will happen when 2013 rolls around without incident and the doomsday theorist are left with nothing more than revising "The Date"

the new agers would be out of business finally, they can stop messing with people and swindling them.

funny-dyslexics-bank-robbery-joke.jpg

they have air in their hands... nothing solid... all is an illusion in the new age world remember.

the new agers would be out of business finally, they can stop messing with people and swindling them.

funny-dyslexics-bank-robbery-joke.jpg

they have air in their hands... nothing solid... all is an illusion in the new age world remember.

Sadly no. Its not the first doomsday prediction and i predict it will not be the last.

• Like 2

Yeah, and on a side note, I'm so sick of tele-evangelist promoting a "near end of the world" and you need to send them money to be both "informed" by buying their books and CD's, and thus be "saved"

• Like 2

Well theres been so many "doomsdays" throughout history for example some people thought the world was going to end in the year 2000 but that didnt happen. I think maybe some people want the world to end so they can excuse themselves of responsibility "why should i study if the worlds going to end" but thats just my conjecture.

• Like 2

Well theres been so many "doomsdays" throughout history for example some people thought the world was going to end in the year 2000 but that didnt happen. I think maybe some people want the world to end so they can excuse themselves of responsibility "why should i study if the worlds going to end" but thats just my conjecture.

Yeah, such "predictions" really don't help the furtherance of society for some susceptable individuals, since they view the "end" of the world as being so "near"

You would think that people would go on past evidence of 'fact'.

How many doomsday predictions have their been, predicted by some method like, ghosts.. tarot, whatever

or done by preachers preaching they know the time that all will end.. or by some humans from our past..

and they came true? How many end of the world predictions CAME TRUE?

You would think then, that people would comprehend that such premonitions/prophecies are silly and not true.

Though I admit that the end HAS come true for many many many people, who have died and will die today, it is the end for them.. and the end will eventually come to earth itself.. far far into the future..

That... I will believe in.

• Like 1