Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ghost hand

alanvat

A few years ago a friend of mine had to have his house exorcised,according to him they had seen lots of ghosts and had lots of strange things happening,well things went quiet for a while but recently they started back up again,my daughter stayed there a few weeks ago and like all teenage girls was taking photos on her phone and she caught this,let me know what you think

post-62241-0-30159800-1353511031_thumb.j

Looks like a double exposure of some kind. Cell phone cameras aren't exactly the best. I mean more than half the device is dedicated to other tasks.

Could be double exposure, could be manipulated photo, sometimes mobile phone cameras can blur and catch things in different places, could be a curious spirit! There's pretty much no way to figure it out now technology allows us to play around with images etc. The activity in the house might be related, children are full of energy and can provoke and intrigue active ghosts. Interesting shot either way :tu:

Edited by DancingCorpse

Here's how to reproduce this. It's a classic...

The flash is set for fill flash. That means that what we see in the photo is a combination of the light of the flash and the ambient light. Note that in this photo the light from the flash and the ambient light are just about even. This is not a powerful flash at all. To compensate for the weak flash, the shutter speed is slow to gather as much ambient light as possible.

Someone put a hand on the girl's shoulder when the flash went off then quickly pulled their hand back right after it went off. The girl stood still for the rest of the exposure which allowed the dim ambient light from her shoulder (where the hand was) to fill in that area. They removed their hand quickly enough so that, after the flash, there's no trace of this motion.

[Looking closer, there does appear to be a blurriness to the hand that indicates motion.]

Edited by scowl
  • Like 1

i think the girl in the background is scarier

:yes:

It the poster had said that no one saw the girl in the background and they don't know who she is, then that's a house I wouldn't sleep in!

• Like 1

What is the curved white line in the top quarter of the photo?

The photo looks like they were taking a picture of themselves in a mirror. Not only does the mirror have a curved cut at the bottom, it looks like two mirrors with curved cuts hung together (very artistic). The white curve is the small gap of wallpaper between the two mirrors. You can see the fancy wallpaper at the bottom of the photo.

That would also explain why the flash was so weak. It was being bounced off of the mirror(s) and the wallpaper.

Here's how to reproduce this. It's a classic...

The flash is set for fill flash. That means that what we see in the photo is a combination of the light of the flash and the ambient light. Note that in this photo the light from the flash and the ambient light are just about even. This is not a powerful flash at all. To compensate for the weak flash, the shutter speed is slow to gather as much ambient light as possible.

Someone put a hand on the girl's shoulder when the flash went off then quickly pulled their hand back right after it went off. The girl stood still for the rest of the exposure which allowed the dim ambient light from her shoulder (where the hand was) to fill in that area. They removed their hand quickly enough so that, after the flash, there's no trace of this motion.

[Looking closer, there does appear to be a blurriness to the hand that indicates motion.]

Well you live and learn. I decided to experiment and see if I could recreate the effect. I put the camera into manual mode and altered the settings accordingly and here's a couple of attempts at creating a transparent hand:

dsc0053mp.jpg

More useful knowledge for future use. Thanks scowl.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1