Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] Radi-Aid : Africa for Norway

Render

Frostbite kills too so lets spread some warmth, says music video designed to mock patronising and misguided appeals for Africa

Their effort is a serious critique of misguided development, and of the Western media coverage which often accompanies it. What they want:

1. Fundraising should not be based on exploiting stereotypes.

2. We want better information about what is going on in the world, in schools, in TV and media.

3. Media: Show respect.

4. Aid must be based on real needs, not "good" intentions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/19/radi-aid-charity-single-africa

http://www.africafornorway.no/

• Like 1

"Aid must be based on real needs, not "good" intentions."

====================================================

tell us about it, if there had not been so many corrupt people working within the aid charities, the aid donated out of good intentions would have reached those who needed it.

But i do find this an insult to those who have given and to all those who have worked hard within the charities which have made a difference to those who needed it.

maybe they can make a song donated to them!

Edited by freetoroam

I don't think they should be exploiting stereotypes either but that is what tears at peoples heart strings and causes them to donate. I've heard some charity groups will go into a poor village and pick out the dirtiest skinniest kid there to use as their poster child.

I'm assuming this is a parody? If not then it seems almost bizarre to me.

We may heard the 80s humanitarian hit 'Feed the World' with lyrics like "there's no snow in Ethiopia" and "they don't know it's Christmas", both it turns out to be completely false: Ethiopian has highland regions where snowfall can occur and a large Orthodox Christian population observes Christmas day. Conditions in Ethiopia in the 1980s was different under the then communist government known to use the seizure of emergency food relief supplies to gain more power over the citizenry. Famine in the Sudan continues to grow while Ethiopia's economy turned around when the communists are out of power, and remember the country of Ethiopia is over 3,000 years old where locals long lived a lifestyle and culture differing from ours, but there is some level of modernity as well.

Spoof African 'charity song' urges people to donate radiators to Norway

A spoof music video appealing to Africans to donate radiators for freezing children in Norway has become an internet hit, viewed more than 480,000 in five days on YouTube.

http://www.telegraph...-to-Norway.html

Thats it. it is a spoof, which is pretty insulting to all those who have done good for Africa.

I don't post link underneath my articles for my advantage you know...the guardian article (if anyone would bother clicking it and verify information) clearly states it is a spoof...lazy bunch.

+ the posted clearly states it is meant AS A CRITIQUE on the poor state of current charities.

Edited by Render

I don't think they should be exploiting stereotypes either but that is what tears at peoples heart strings and causes them to donate. I've heard some charity groups will go into a poor village and pick out the dirtiest skinniest kid there to use as their poster child.

they do that yes, which is exactly one thing they are critiquing

Thats it. it is a spoof, which is pretty insulting to all those who have done good for Africa.

No.

What's insulting is that 90% of those charities, which are in the hundreds possibly even thousands, keep raising money purely to sustain themselves..NOT to help anyone.

What's insulting is that they raise money for pointless tents and mosquito nets, while it's proven that those mosquito's can get true the net..instead of raising all the money for research against malaria. And why don't they do that? Because all those needy donators want to see if something happens with their money immediately, so they do freaking pointless stuff and waste money and time, so donators are pleased. That's the world on it's head and you condone this ??? My god...

What's insulting is that those charitable workers are the ones driving their fancy jeeps to the beach on the weekends past the camps full of poor ppl they should be helping 24/7.

What's insulting is what a previous poster mentioned which is absolutely true:

What's insulting is that we all keep pretending that they should carry on living on the world's handouts instead of building their own economy, which they are very capable of. But they are being blocked by getting charity money which goes straight to corrupt politicians, who are open about that themselves and African citizens have made many statements about this themselves, it's just a way of life for them now.

What's insulting is that we keep giving corrupt money instead of pushing them to raise money by taxes so they can sustain their own economy, just like the rest of the world.

What's insulting is that many companies from other countries (like Britian, that was most recently in the news for letting miners be killed and another for firing 8500 workers who asked for more pay) are exploiting the local population for extremely low payments, while a charity from the same country is next door. Instead of the freaking focussing on their own country and making sure those companies get more humane regulations.

And what's insulting is that the entire world knows about this but acts like their nose bleeds and just carries on.

And what's the most insulting of all is that ppl like you feel so freaking self-rightuous about others of yourself donating to charities they are too lazy to even research what happens with all the money, which is waaaay too freaking lil. It's so lil that Africans even had to set up spoof charity because they are tired of all this bs. And all you can say is : "im insulted" ???? Jesus Christ, how narrowminded is that. It's not freaking about you. It's not about anyone who possibly donates. Egotistical...just like all those charities.

Dambisa Moyo on why aid to Africa has been a disaster. full

https://www.youtube....h?v=dyf2Cf5GkTY

Africa and the Curse of Foreign Aid

Dambisa Moyo: Stop Sending Aid to Africa

Educate yourself instead of defending this mindless giving to charities to ease your own egotistic peace of mind.

Edited by Render

Render,

I know, hence my first post.

That's OK Africa. I wasn't giving my money to you guys anyway.