Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFOs with Speeds up to 27,000 MPH

TheMacGuffin

The reason I put "Green Fireballs" in quotes is because it is a misnomer and was known to be so at the time, just like Ken Arnold's "flying saucers" was a misnomer and the "Phoenix Lights" as well.

In reality, as I have pointed out many times on here, the "Green Fireballs" were not all green, were not all fireballs, were not only seen at night, and came in various shapes, sizes and colors.

atmospheric plasma phenomenon doesn't exclusively occur on fixed constructs i.e shape, colour, location, duration, etc...

Many of them also lasted for a duration far longer than meteorites and ball lightning, so those explanations really explain nothing at all.

do you have any data which backs said claim? re duration of uaps?

atmospheric plasma phenomenon doesn't exclusively occur on fixed constructs i.e shape, colour, location, duration, etc...

do you have any data which backs said claim? re duration of uaps?

I don't believe that they account for any but a small handful of UFO reports, except maybe those that last a few seconds at most, nor do I think they could possible account for the UFOs tracked, filmed and photographed in this flap, which sometimes lasted 20 or 30 minutes or an hour or more.

That abstract you posted does not match anything that was observed in these UFO cases, or any UFO cases that I am aware of.

It is postulated that ball lightning is initiated by a lightning stroke that forms a large sphere of heated material. The following models are considered: (1) cooling spheres of air; (2) cooling spheres of air containing small amounts of sodium vapor; (3) cooling spheres of mixtures that are by weight (a) 7 / 8 carbon vapor and 1 / 8 air or (3 / 4 copper vapor and 1 / 4 air. For each model calculations are made of the temperature profiles, output radiation, and average mass density as a function of time, taking account of energy transfer due to conduction, radial convection, and emission and absorption of radiation. Models 1 and 2 are deficient in explaining the properties of ball lightning in that the spheres are lighter than the surrounding air and thus rise. With model 3, although the average mass density can approximate that of air so that the ball does not rise, there is insufficient emission of visible radiation. It is possible, however, that chemical processes, which are not considered in the present calculations, occur at the boundary of the sphere of suspended particles and the surrounding air and give relatively constant emission of light.

Edited by TheMacGuffin

I don't believe that they account for any but a small handful of UFO reports, except maybe those that last a few seconds at most, nor do I think they could possible account for the UFOs tracked, filmed and photographed in this flap, which sometimes lasted 20 or 30 minutes or an hour or more.

uaps are not tracked on radar? do not last more than a few seconds?

That abstract you posted does not match anything that was observed in these UFO cases, or any UFO cases that I am aware of.

It is postulated that ball lightning is initiated by a lightning stroke that forms a large sphere of heated material. The following models are considered: (1) cooling spheres of air; (2) cooling spheres of air containing small amounts of sodium vapor; (3) cooling spheres of mixtures that are by weight (a) 7 / 8 carbon vapor and 1 / 8 air or (3 / 4 copper vapor and 1 / 4 air. For each model calculations are made of the temperature profiles, output radiation, and average mass density as a function of time, taking account of energy transfer due to conduction, radial convection, and emission and absorption of radiation. Models 1 and 2 are deficient in explaining the properties of ball lightning in that the spheres are lighter than the surrounding air and thus rise. With model 3, although the average mass density can approximate that of air so that the ball does not rise, there is insufficient emission of visible radiation. It is possible, however, that chemical processes, which are not considered in the present calculations, occur at the boundary of the sphere of suspended particles and the surrounding air and give relatively constant emission of light.

that was posted to highlight about the presence of copper

i was referring to the discussions re the fireball phenomenon... you were making some bold claims based on outdated data.

Why are the reports "outdated"? At which date do you think that we should start taking UFO reports seriously? Do you have some kind of cut-off that says we should ignore reports from the 1940s and 1950s?

uaps are not tracked on radar? do not last more than a few seconds?

I've been in many discussions like these before, and the type of things you are thinking of simply do not match most UFO reports that I know about. Certainly I'm not going to set myself up as an expert on plasmas and ball lightning, but my understanding of it is that is is a very short-duration phenomenon and not easily confused with the types of UFOs being discussed in cases like these.

This was one response to the 1952 Life magazine article on flaying saucers and possible "visitors" from space:

Captain Daniel McGovern...wrote “I was very closely associated with Projects ‘Twinkle’ and ‘Grudge’ at Alamogordo, N. Mexico where I was chief of the technical photographic facility at Holloman Air Force Base. I have seen several of these objects myself` and they are everything you say they are as to shape, size and speed.” (LIFE, April 28, 1952).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nicap.org%2Fncp%2Fncp-brumac.htm&ei=DBqvUNrBB4v88QSpwoHwBA&usg=AFQjCNEEErXY_uAoZ2aW7XhqeFfcQWhusA&sig2=AkUI6MXssMZ1Au_e1KfUZw

Why are the reports "outdated"? At which date do you think that we should start taking UFO reports seriously? Do you have some kind of cut-off that says we should ignore reports from the 1940s and 1950s?

don't twist my words.... i was specifically referring to the following train of thought....

but they were not meteorites, ball lightning or anything else along those lines:

how did you reach to such a conclusion?

I didn't. LaPaz and others reached it long ago.

and what was his criterion? the following?

Second air sampling attempt at Crozier's lab. More copper particles are obtained. LaPaz is convinced that this is evidence of the artificiality of the fireballs but Crozier is more cautious.

your own link stated...

"However, a curious fact has been recorded by aerologists. Concentrations of copper particles are now present in the air of Arizona and New Mexico, particularly in "fireball areas." These were not encountered in air samples made before 1948."

what does that mean?

I've been in many discussions like these before, and the type of things you are thinking of simply do not match most UFO reports that I know about. Certainly I'm not going to set myself up as an expert on plasmas and ball lightning, but my understanding of it is that is is a very short-duration phenomenon and not easily confused with the types of UFOs being discussed in cases like these.

read a little more.... and pay close attention....

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/PublicationScheme/SearchPublicationScheme/UapInTheUkAirDefenceRegionExecutiveSummary.htm

don't twist my words.... i was specifically referring to the following train of thought....

and what was his criterion? the following?

what does that mean?

If you read the other items I posted, that was hardly his only criterion for arriving at his conclusions.

read a little more.... and pay close attention....

I read the summary, although I do not agree with the premise that a UAP is always and everywhere the same thing as a UFO, or that it could account for all the UFO cases posted here as some sort of catch-all explanation.

This 1949 memo to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force actually did use the term UAP, although it was not referring to ball lighting or plasmas.

This was the same UFO that LaPaz stated was definitely not a meteorite either.

Subject: AFOSI Case 18; Green Fireball Event Witnssed in New Mexico

Date: January 30, 1949

Francis Ridge:

This case is listed for the record, since it has been incorrectly listed as a New Mexico case for so many years. Sighted and photographed in New Mexico, this event took place in Texas. It is listed in the updated catalog of BB unknowns by Brad Sparks:

Jan. 30, 1949. Near Amarillo (at 34°50' N, 104°5' W) to near Lamesa (at 32°48' N, 102°22' W), Texas. 5:54 p.m. (MST). Thousands of witnesses over several states saw spectacular green fireball, N-S trajectory triangulated by Dr. Lincoln LaPaz as 12 mile altitude over Amarillo area descending slightly on nearly horizontal 143-mile path to near Lamesa disappearing about 8 miles altitude. No noise except slight hissing. 100+ witnesses interviewed. (Sparks; FOIA).

http://www.nicap.org/sands490130dir.htm

sands490130doc.jpg

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Here was another one that LaPaz couldn't explain, since it climbed vertically and then leveled, which meteorites simply do not do.

http://www.nicap.org/albuq490217Bdir.htm

Subject: AFOSI Case 24; Vertical Climb, Then Leveled Off

Date: February 17, 1949

Francis Ridge:

This report is not an original BB unknown, but has been included in the Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns by Brad Sparks.

Cases 23 and 24 are apparently the same object viewed at different or overlapping times on its trajectory. Case 23 is truck driver Herman Wilcox at about 6 PM (actually 5:57) from near Grants, NM, and Case 24 is UNM Prof. Marvin May at 5:57 PM from Albuquerque (who with his training in meteorite tracking with LaPaz has the more accurate time than the truck driver). There were also about 100 guards at Sandia Base including the Officer of the Guard, sighting it at 5:59-6:06 PM evidently.

Univ. of NM Prof. of Civil Engineering Marvin May, an associate of Dr. Lincoln LaPaz in meteorite tracking, saw a brilliant white object in the W at 6° elevation at 5:57 p.m. for >6 mins. Object was first round [1/3 Full Moon in size at this point apparently] then shifted to ellipse as it approached then appeared to be elongated like a bent pipe with corners, 1 Full Moon in length and 1/10 in width. Object made slight climbing turn to the N, shifted to peach color [yellow-orange?] as it made rapid sharp turning climb to the S at the end, disappearing in cloudless sky by diminishing in size and brightness. 100 Sandia Base guards including Officer of the Guard saw a yellow-orange cigar or yellow-red cigar-shaped object for 7 minutes from 5:59 to 6:06 p.m. (BB Maxwell Microfilm Roll 5, pp. 546-557, NARA Microfilm Roll 88, p. 401, Roll 91, p. 412; FOIA; Saunders/FUFOR Index) 9 mins 100+ 1 UNM Civil Engr Prof / meteorite tracker (LaPaz assoc.)

Here's another one that dived, climbed, reversed course and leveled off:

http://www.nicap.org/tucum490327dir.htm

Subject: AFOSI Cases 42 to 45

Date: March 27, 1949

Francis Ridge

:

6-6:30 PM incident. This report is not an original BB unknown but is listed in the Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns by Brad Sparks as case 159 and the La Paz catalog as case 42. Few details and docs hard to read, but here's Spark's BB summary:

March 27, 1949. Tucumcari (35°10' N, 103° 44' W), Montoya (35°6' N, 104°4' W), New Mexico. 6-6:30 p.m. Various witnesses, including police officer, postmaster (Montoya, N.M.), newspaper editor (Tucumcari Daily News), saw a contrail-like yellow-­amber-orange object, length/width ratio 5:1, 1/6 moon's diameter, slowly moving from S (205° azimuth) to W (254° azimuth) at about 45°-60° elevation (75° at Montoya moving 180° to 260° azimuth), wiggling slightly, at first in a vertical orientation [?], dived steeply-leveled-climbed 2-3 times, reversed course once at top of a climb, a bright glitter of white light at a leveling off. No sound or trail. (FOIA)

The Queensland University of Technology report was only done in 2010. Surely those findings supersede the La Paz documents?

An hypothesis presented in this paper is that the passage of the Queensland fireball meteor created an electrically conductive path between the ionosphere and ground, providing energy for the ball lightning phenomenon. A strong similarity is noted between the Queensland fireball and the Pasamonte fireball seen in New Mexico in 1933. Both meteors exhibit a twist in the tail that could be explained by hydrodynamic forces

It seems a very promising insight into green fireballs that is likely to offer some answers.

• Like 1

A very strange UFO report from Camp Hood, Texas in the same period, with very small UFOs flying around.

http://www.nicap.org/hood490427dir.htm

Form: 97 Initial Report

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:51:06 +0100 (BST)

Subject: April 27, 1949, Camp Hood, Texas, UFO Report (BBU)

Cat: 1

To: Francis Ridge <nicap@insightbb.com>

April 27, 1949. SE of Killeen Base, Camp Hood, Texas. 9:20 p.m. 2 Army soldiers [Pillett and Belislandro?] on patrol saw a blinking violet object 1-1/2 inches in diameter 10-12 ft away and about 6-7 ft above ground in motion, passing through branches of a tree before disappearing. At 9:25 p.m., 2 miles away 4 Army men sighted a 4-inch bright light, with a 2-4-inch metallic cone trailing in the back, 600 ft away 6-7 ft above ground silently approaching from the NE in level flight at 60-70 mph, disappearing suddenly in the SW at 150 ft away. At 9:37 p.m. the same witnesses saw a 2-inch white light appear 100 ft away to the NNE flying in a zigzag in level flight about 6 ft above ground, disappearing suddenly. At 9:39 p.m. the same witnesses saw a 3rd light in the WSW. (FOIA; FUFOR Index; Jan Aldrich)

MAXW-PBB5-1509.jpg

MAXW-PBB5-1510.jpg

Camp Hood seems to have hard a UFO flap of its own in April and May of 1949.

May 7, 1949; Killeen Base, Camp Hood, Texas (BBU)

7:40 p.m. Lt. Mardell Ward, at the Army's UFO observation post, and another observation site, spotted a brilliant white diamond-shaped object at triangulated location 15,000 ft away at 1,000 ft 57 secs 2+ real-time triangulation altitude headed NW. Object was tracked for 57 seconds as it traveled 20 miles (at 1,300 mph) while changing color from white to reddish to greenish as it dropped altitude and dimmed then disappeared. No sound. (FOIA; Jan Aldrich; Loren Gross Jan-Jun 1949 Supp p. 79, erroneously put at Los Alamos)

May 8, 1949; Killeen Base, Camp Hood, Texas (BBU)

10:08-10:17 p.m. Lt. Mardell Ward, at the Army's UFO observation post, and 2 other posts sighted brilliant diamond-shaped object to the W moving NW or NE at 1,600 ft altitude slowly dropping. Severe radio interference during sighting, none afterward. (FOIA; Jan Aldrich; Loren Gross Jan-Jun 1949 Supp p. 80, erroneously put at Los Alamos) 9 mins real time triangulation.

http://www.google.co...K06VIPBulQQLkDA

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Even arch-skeptic (and intelligence officer) Donald Menzel had his own UFO sighting at this time:

May 12, 1949; Holloman AFB, New Mexico (BBU)

9:30 p.m. (MST). AF contract solar astronomer, Donald H. Menzel, of Harvard Observatory, was being driven by military car from Holloman AFB, on Hwy 70 just outside the base, en route to Alamogordo [headed ENE on road azimuth 66°], when shortly after leaving the base he saw a bright reddish star Antares about 6°-8° East [to the lower left] of the nearly Full Moon estimated to be 15°-18° above the ridge line [99.3% illuminated Moon at about 19° elevation 136° azimuth, Antares at about 11° elevation 132° azimuth] rising above the Sacramento Mountain ridge.

Shortly afterward he noticed first one small round white light low about 3°-4° over the ridge to the lower left of the Moon and star and then another identical light to the right of the first and in horizontal line, about 3° apart [at roughly 122° to 125° azimuth, 5°-6° elevation, seemingly over Moore Ridge, summit 7,264 ft, 32°42'22" N, 105°51'11" W, 15 miles away]. Each light was white possibly slight greenish tinge, about 0 to 1st stellar magnitude, the left one slightly brighter, both increasing in brightness as if possibly rising above a haze layer, both initially "fuzzy" but apparently sharpening in edge contrast. Each light suddenly disappeared one after the other before the car could be stopped. Menzel estimated that as the car traveled 50 mph it created a 3-mile baseline over which he nevertheless noticed no perceptible change in the lights' azimuths, or perhaps no more than 1° to 2°, hence a distance he calculated at 180 miles and object "diameter" about "¾ mile" (4,000 ft) [correct figure 2,300 ft]. (Sparks; BB NARA Microfilm Roll 88, pp. 904, 920-1; Roll 91, pp. 424-5; Maxwell Roll 6, pp. 241-9) 4 mins 1 witness 1/4 Full Moon

More UFOs chasing missiles, which later got reported in True magazine.

Category: 08; Photographic Evidence

Subject: Two UFOs Pace V-2 Rocket

Date: June 14, 1949

#1302: 1949/6/10 15:40 15 106:30:0W 33:0:0N 3333 NAM USA NMX 8 12

WHITE SANDS,NM:HIQ USN CREW++:2 WHT SCRS PACE V2 ROCKET:1 PASSES

THRU EXHAUST

Ref# 133 GROSS,L.:UFOs a HISTORY-1949/2 books Book # 1 Page 82 MIL. BASE

Francis Ridge:

Not listed among the original BB Unknowns, this case IS listed in the Comprehensive Catalog of Project Blue Book Unknowns by Brad Sparks. According to Sparks, the date must have been the 14th, rather than the 10th as previously thought.. There was a report in the LA Times that there was film taken but AFOSI was told the film showed nothing. The WSMR launch records show the only Navy missile launches in the period were the Viking No. 1 on May 3rd and No. 2 on Sept 6, 1949, and nothing in June 1949. There was however an Army V-2 launched on June 14, 1949. My search of the BB microfilm records turned up the correct date and the fact that it WAS a V-2 rocket. The film may have showed something but there is no evidence to support it as yet.

Richard Hall:

Features: Pacing of......missile, high-speed ascent. A crew of Navy engineers and technicians under the command of Commander Robert B. McLaughlin were testing an upper atmosphere missile, with observation posts all around the missile test range. When the missile had attained a speed of 2,000 feet per second on its upward flight, it was suddenly joined by two small circular objects that paced it, one on each side. One of the objects then passed through the missile's exhaust, joined the other, and together they accelerated upwards leaving the missile behind. Shortly afterwards, Cmdr. McLaughlin received reports from five observation posts scattered at all points of the compass; all had witnessed the performance of the two circular UFOs.

http://www.nicap.org/wsands2dir.htm

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Pacing of Navy Missile

June 10, 1949

White Sands, New Mexico

mc-01.jpg

The last appearance of Flying Disks which I feel is reliable enough to report occurred in early June. I did not see it personally, but the circumstances are impressive enough for me to include them here.

This day we were firing a Navy upper atmosphere missile. Shortly after its take-off, two small circular objects, guessed to be approximately 20 inches in diameter, appeared from no place and joined the Navy missile on its upward flight. (Similar small disks have also been previously reported as well as the larger types mentioned earlier.)

At about the time the Navy missile was doing well over 2,000 feet per second, the object on the west side passed through the exhaust gases and joined its friend on the east. They then apparently decided the missile was not going fast enough for them. They accelerated, passed the Navy missile and sailed off upward and eastward.

Some eight minutes after the Navy missile had fallen back into the range, I received a radio report from a very powerful optical observation post located on a mountain top. The Navy missile, it said, had just passed over the mountain and was going out of the range to the west. This could have been one of the two objects that we had seen and which had changed direction, or it could have been a third one.

The odd thing is that before long I had reports from eleven men in five separate OP's, none of which could communicate with each other and which were located at different points of the compass. All had seen the two objects perform as I have described.

Putting together all the data observed in three appearances, one of which I had seen for myself, and all which I believe beyond doubt, I decided that it was necessary to look outside the known world for an answer.

No one realizes better than I do that the explanations which follow may be incorrect. I think, however, that there is too much evidence from too many reliable sources for us to be content with inconclusive explanations, and we must press on to find an answer.

I think that the saucers are piloted space ships, first, because of their flight performance. The White Sands Saucers were most definitely capable of changing their direction while above our atmosphere. This extreme maneuverability -- plus their large size -- eliminates for me the likelihood of their being operated by remote control.

Source: HOW SCIENTISTS TRACKED A FLYING SAUCER, Cmdr. Robert B. McLaughlin, USN

http://www.nicap.org/wsands2mc.htm

Could these UFOs also be related to the ones seen at Mt. Palomar Observatory in California in the fall of 1949, that tripped off the cosmic ray detectors on multiple occasions for at least ten days?

Form: 97 BB

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:37:57 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Sighting of 16 to 18 unusual objects on October 14, 1949, at about 1315, near the Palomar Observatory (BBU)

Cat: 10

To: Francis Ridge <nicap@insightbb.com>

Oct. 14, 1949; Mt. Palomar Observatory, Calif (BBU) 1:15 and 1:20 p.m. Observatory Manager of Public Relations Harley C. Marshall drove away from Observatory when he saw a perfect "V of V's" formation of about 16-18 silver [round?] objects without tails or wings overhead traveling at high 1 + 1 EM effects on cosmic ray detector speed to the NW and emitting a sound like jets but not quite the same which noticeably lagged behind visual location of objects in the sky by about 35°-40°. Marshall stopped car and observed objects disappear [behind?] cloud cover that extended from horizon to about 45° elevation. [Marshall returned to Observatory] and phoned Asst. Superintendent-Electrical B. B. Traxler on duty who at about 1:20 p.m. saw one dark unidentified object traveling to the SW while checking the cosmic-ray Geiger counter recording equipment and saw that the needle had jumped off scale for several secs.

For the next 10 days another 21 incidents of off-scale cosmic-ray detector incidents occurred at scattered times fitting a periodic 1.5-hour time schedule, a phenomenon not seen before or after, and unexplainable by equipment failure or radio interference from aircraft. Several Navy aircraft of differing prop and jet types were flown near Palomar Observatory using radio, altimeter and radars on Oct. 21 and Nov. 2 in an unsuccessful effort to trigger the Geiger counter. (Jan Aldrich; McDonald list)

Statement by Mr. Harley C. Marshall, Manger of Public Relations at Palomar Observatory,

Subject: Sighting of 16 to 18 unusual objects on October 14, 1949, at about 1315, near the Palomar Observatory and high radiation reading on a recording geiger counter at Palomar Observatory at the same time the objects were sighted by Mr. Marshall

Statement by Mr. B. B. Traxler, assistant superintendent (Electrical) for the Observatory.

He could offer no explanation for the action of the geiger counter.

http://www.bluebooka...e=MAXW-PBB7-913

Page ID (PID) 1px.gif MAXW-PBB7-913 1px.gif Collection 1px.gif NARA-Maxwell 1px.gif Roll Description 1px.gif Maxwell Blue Book 7 1px.gif Document Code 1px.gif N/A Frames 913 - 915

http://www.nicap.org...palomar_dir.htm

Edited by TheMacGuffin

Form: 97 BB Docs

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:27:35 -0600

Subject: SECRET Document Mentions Correlation Between Sightings and Rise in Radiation

Cat: 10

Distribution: CE, SHG, NCP

In the summer of 1952 it was reported to Project Blue Book that in the past several years there have been some instances where there existed a supposed correlation between the visual sighting of unidentified object and a rapid rise in radiation count on radiation detecting devices in areas close to the Mt, Palomar Observatory, California, and later at Los Alamos, New Mexico. In early fall of 1952 Project Blue Book began to make inquiries about these occurrences. It was found that in October 1949 such an incident had occurred at the Mt. Palomar Observatory and that the Navy had investigated. It was also learned that several times during 1950, 1951, and 1952 that same occurrence had taken place at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico.

In regard to the Palomar incidents, the Navy flew several aircraft over the area on Oct. 21 and Nov. 2, 1949, with different types of radio, radio altimeter and radar equipment to see if anything could trigger the geiger counters, but failed. There were 21 episodes of the cosmic ray geiger counters going off-scale over the next 10 days and then suddenly stopping, without explanation.

Page ID (PID) 1px.gif NARA-PBB85-762 1px.gifCollection 1px.gif National Archives (NARA) 1px.gifRoll Description 1px.gif NARA Blue Book Roll 85 1px.gifDocument Code 1px.gif T1206-85

From PBB Status Report No. 10, beginning at

http://www.bluebookarchive.org/page.aspx?PageCode=NARA-PBB85-766

http://www.nicap.org/docs/1949radiation.htm

So what are we to make of all these strange UFOs, UAPs or whatever you care to call them, diving, climbing, reversing course, traveling at extremely high speeds and high altitudes, chasing missiles, sighted by thousands of witnesses, tripping off radiation detectors, filmed, photographed, triangulated, by scientists and military witnesses over a period of months and years?

What are they? Where do they come from? These were questions being asked at the time at the highest levels of the US government and they were clearly a matter of serious concern at the time.

There is a lot of speculation about what they could be, but we have a number of witnesses and experts on record who stated publicly that these things simply did not behave like meteorites or any other known natural phenomena, nor did they act like any man-made objects that existed then in 1948-51. If they were, no such craft have ever been identified as coming from the US, the Soviet Union or anywhere else.

I do think they were putting on quite a show, however, basically demanding our attention for some reason. They got it, too. Beyond that, I regret to say that I have no real answers or conclusions.

• Like 1

Here was Harry Truman at a press conference talking about how there were "always things like that going on" with flying saucers, and that he discussed them at "every conference" they had with the military.

He stated that they were never able to give him a "concrete report" about them, although it is obvious that they were being noticed and investigated. I can only say that Truman has the reputation for being a straight shooter and an honest man, so perhaps they really were struggling to answer the big questions about what these things really were, where they came from and what they wanted.

I don't think Truman was a liar at all. Here was a guy who once said "I don't give anybody hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell".

But what is the truth about UFOs?