Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South Pacific Island 'proven not to exist'

Still Waters

I'm pretty sure that's the island Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 crashed on. :yes:

You looked serious when you said that (then I saw the nodding smiley-face). From memory, was that Castaway?

Note to self: NEVER fly Oceanic!

After thought: I was going to say that this was sort of like Pluto's demotion from a planet, but at least Pluto wasn't voted into non-existance.

Edited by Likely Guy

You looked serious when you said that (then I saw the nodding smiley-face). From memory, was that Castaway?

Note to self: NEVER fly Oceanic!

After thought: I was going to say that this was sort of like Pluto's demotion from a planet, but at least Pluto wasn't voted into non-existance.

Not Castaway. It's from Lost the television series. I miss that show.

It's one of those giant fish that look like islands but move around all the time.. :-*

The Kraken :tu:

Very interesting...I would love to go to the co-ordinates to see for myself!

19*12'59.67"S 159*56'22.75"E (Sorry I don't know how to do a degrees symbol) What makes it interesting is the fact that it's blurred out. Google must have took the satellite photos, saw nothing was there and blurred it intentionally....... BUT WHY????

Edited by Champagne Supernova

it's not every day you get to undiscover something!

i'll be very interested to hear how this 'island' managed its way onto maps to begin with

They say that "map makers" make intentional subtle "mistakes" so they can tell if their maps have been copied.

Maybe its a Klingon battle cruiser that crashed into the sea and its cloaking device is still on. :cry:

It has to be the real location of R'lyeh

The black out area on google is approximately 14 miles long (NW-SE) and 4 miles wide.

I'm wondering if it doesn't exist, Who named it "Sandy"?

Maye be the original photos of the area had a smudge on them hence they just thought its an island.

• Like 1

It's on google maps because someone put it there. Government theory of control. Dun dun dun dun. Seriously though, it's pretty odd we have -only- just found out now.

Could it simply be a shallow reef that appears from time to time?

I wondered exactly the same thing, but the article says:

Scientist Maria Seton, who was on the ship, said that the team was expecting land, not 1,400m (4,620ft) of deep ocean.

So nope, no reef.

However, looking at the image:

_64311441_new_caledonia624x350.gif

Should it show up as black?