Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Misidentifiction almost deadly

Neognosis

This is the father of a friend of mine:

https://www.google.com/search?q=irondequiot+man+shot+hunting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

The hunting party was several of his sons and nephews, all of whom are very experienced woodsmen.

My friend's father is going to be ok, but it is a very serious gunshot wound, and if not for cell phones and helicopters, he might not be recovering.

So, whenever anyone calls eyewitness reports "evidence" of bigfoot, think of how an experienced woodsman shot my friend's father, because he thought he was a deer. Sometimes when you are expecting or hoping to see something, you see it. Even when it's not what is really there.

This is why many places have laws requiring hunters to wear at least one item of blaze orange. It might not look good, but it may very well save your life.

I never understood "hunting game". We are given a surplus of meat in our day-to-day lives, yet we still demand the ability of acquiring our own. When a hunting trip goes badly (for example, a buck attacks a human), it's all over the news; however, when an individual shoots a deer, it's fine and goes unannounced (except amongst those whom are close to the hunter). From what I have gathered, this practice is viewed as masculine or "manly", however I see nothing manly about shooting an animal when it is not required...

That being said, I hope your friend's father is alright.

• Like 2

I recall being chastised here for talking about crazy, drunken rednecks being in the woods during hunting season. I'm so very sorry for this happening to your family.

I recall being chastised here for talking about crazy, drunken rednecks being in the woods during hunting season. I'm so very sorry for this happening to your family.

He was shot by a member of his own hunting party.

We are human, no one has to be drunk or even have a red neck, to cause an horrific injury or a deadly mistake.

But if human, we suffer the painful emotional and psychological consequences. I couldn't even begin to fathom what the person in the OP is going through.

Edited by QuiteContrary

For God's that isn't better, that's worse. And ether way he's shot while hunting......and by a member of his own hunting party. Yeah, thank Heaven's they weren't drunk, just..........

Probably best I just let this go and not say what I really think. This is a terrible tragedy and arguing over what's what is both stupid and disrespectful I think, and yesd I am including myself in that group.

Neo, sorry for what happened blessings and prays for all involved.

Edited by keninsc

This is the father of a friend of mine:

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

The hunting party was several of his sons and nephews, all of whom are very experienced woodsmen.

My friend's father is going to be ok, but it is a very serious gunshot wound, and if not for cell phones and helicopters, he might not be recovering.

So, whenever anyone calls eyewitness reports "evidence" of bigfoot, think of how an experienced woodsman shot my friend's father, because he thought he was a deer. Sometimes when you are expecting or hoping to see something, you see it. Even when it's not what is really there.

Neo,

I hope he recovers 100%. Sorry to hear about this tragic accident. Be thankful he is ok, a deer rifle cartridge is could have easily killed him.

Glad he is ok.

Some things should be left un said or posted.

See below.

He was shot by a member of his own hunting party.

We are human, no one has to be drunk or even have a red neck, to cause an horrific injury or a deadly mistake.

But if human, we suffer the painful emotional and psychological consequences. I couldn't even begin to fathom what the person in the OP is going through.

Neognosis,

Sorry to hear of your friends fathers unfortunate accident. My best wishes are with him and his family.

Some time ago I posted several similar stories, one was a particularly disturbing account of a man who killed his 8 year old son when he mistakenly ID'd him as a turkey. Unfortunately this kind of occurrence happens every year and it serves as a reminder that despite claims to the contrary; none of us, no matter our profession (including law enforcement officers), or level of outdoors experience, are 100% accurate at interpreting what we are actually seeing, especially when we want to see something, whether it's a deer, a turkey, or bigfoot.