Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to keep a Christmas Tree Fresh

joc

My sister turned me on to this recipe and I have done it now consistently for 4 years...

To keep your Christmas Tree from drying out...use this simple recipe:

Mix 2 cups of Bourbon Whiskey and 1 gallon of water in a milk jug (or whatever).

Fill the reservoir with this solution and make sure to add to it every day so the reservoir never gets completely dry.

Use the cheapest bourbon you can buy...save your money for the good stuff to actually 'enjoy' watching the tree with...the tree doesn't care how cheap the bourbon is. I usually by a fifth for about 8 dollars. That is all you need.

The tree will stay as fresh as the day you bought it...long after Christmas is over. In fact...I always burn ours in the middle of the backyard, but I have to wait until May before it starts to dry out. Seriously!

So...enjoy that Christmas Tree...remember...a drunk tree is a happy fresh tree!

You are welcome! :)

Edited by joc

I never have to worry about that.. My Christmas trees are not real.. I never have to rush out to buy a new tree, fake trees last a lot longer

We use boiling water. When we first set up the tree, we fill the reservoir with boiling water because it's supposed to make the sap heat and flow better.

Then again, we usually don't set up the tree till the 22nd, and it's usually down and set outside for the wildlife by New Years, so we don't worry too terribly much about long term preservation of the tree.

I never have to worry about that.. My Christmas trees are not real.. I never have to rush out to buy a new tree, fake trees last a lot longer

The key word being...fake...lol. B)

We use boiling water. When we first set up the tree, we fill the reservoir with boiling water because it's supposed to make the sap heat and flow better.

Then again, we usually don't set up the tree till the 22nd, and it's usually down and set outside for the wildlife by New Years, so we don't worry too terribly much about long term preservation of the tree.

It's a tradition in our household...we like the look and smell of a real tree...and it has always been my daughters 'job' to...pick out the tree...we always go and get one the day after Thanks Giving...so..yeah...it is a big deal if you do that...and bourbon is the answer.

Also Scots pines don't seem to drop their needles. They tend to look a little irregular, but more's the charm.

Leave it in the forest where it belongs!

• Like 2

I'm sure you own consumption of whiskey has a lot to do with the tree always looking good(like other people in a bar) :w00t:

Oh, pass me a shot, please.

• 1 month later...

Leave it in the forest where it belongs!

I just saw this and...Christmas is way over...but...Christmas trees don't come from the forest...they come from Christmas Tree Farms where they are specifically grown for that purpose.

k..onto spring

I just saw this and...Christmas is way over...but...Christmas trees don't come from the forest...they come from Christmas Tree Farms where they are specifically grown for that purpose.

k..onto spring

Pedantically speaking then - "Leave them in the Christmas Tree Farm"! (The OP was about keeping them alive, if I'm not very much mistaken, and the half dozen Picea Abies in my area of woodland are as perky as they were on Christmas Eve!)

s11541.gif So there!

Pedantically speaking then - "Leave them in the Christmas Tree Farm"! (The OP was about keeping them alive, if I'm not very much mistaken, and the half dozen Picea Abies in my area of woodland are as perky as they were on Christmas Eve!)

s11541.gif So there!

The OPs title was How To Keep a Christmas Tree Fresh. Not...alive...

So there backacha! smileys-free-download-2415_zps30b45dfd.gif

• Like 1

So joc...Is your Christmas tree still fresh ? lol

The OPs title was How To Keep a Christmas Tree Fresh. Not...alive...

So there backacha! smileys-free-download-2415_zps30b45dfd.gif

I HAVE ENOUGH TO DO KEEPING MY ARMPITS FRESH!

• Like 2

So joc...Is your Christmas tree still fresh ? lol

No...I burned it the day after Christmas...it was pretty fresh, but it did get a bit dryer than normal...I think because it was right next to the fireplace which burned alot during the season because it was so freaking cold.

I have a cool video of it burning...I'll try to post it. Anyway...I will make a walking stick out of the trunk soon enough.

• Like 1