Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

End of the doctors surgery?

Still Waters

Plans to replace face-to-face doctor's surgery appointments with treatment over the phone or via computer weblink will put lives at risk, ministers and campaigners have warned.

The new system of 'virtual clinics' favoured by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt could spell the end of traditional doctor's surgeries with appointments conducted on iPads and Skype, and test results delivered by text message.

The Sunday Express reported that NHS bosses are importing the idea from India and believe the changes would cut £2.9bn almost immediately, a good chunk of the £20bn the NHS must save to fill its funding gap.

http://www.dailymail...ve-NHS-3bn.html

• Like 1

Seems that the Health Secretary's name IS rhyming slang after all. This is the worst idea ever. Save money at the cost of lives.

• Like 6

Ah yes, more from the techno-evangelists; "We can do everything Online these days". Can they physically examine someone through the medium of the Net, then? How do they propose doing that? Are they proposing to be able to do reliable diagnoses and decide on the correct treatment based on people telling them over the Phone? Pillocks.

And the part of the population that usually tend to see doctors most often, tend to be the elderly; how many of them are familiar with iPads and Skype, and how many would be confident entrusting pesonal details to such devices? How do the Government propose ensuring confidentiality?

• Like 3

Finally the universities will have to teach "distance diagnosis".

• Like 1

I don't think this is a good idea at all. I think this may be the way of the future though in health care and it won't get any cheaper either, just shoddier health care. The death toll from medical mistakes will rise too. One hacker, one virus and everyone gets the wrong diagnosis or prescription.

The underlying cause for this is not enough doctors for our overpopulated world. Maybe we should concentrate on making sure there are enough physicians to go around.

I think all doctors should have to do bedpan duty for about a month so they will have more respect for those that work with them.

• Like 1

Despite not being a 'man of faith' I nevertheless am praying fervently for a massive heart attack when it's my time to shuffle off this mortal coil. No half-interested GP's, no slow starvation/dehydration on a 3rd World hospital ward - just a second's sharp flash of pain and my relatives saying "He was dead before he hit the floor"!

• Like 4

Plans to replace face-to-face doctor's surgery appointments with treatment over the phone or via computer weblink will put lives at risk, ministers and campaigners have warned.

The new system of 'virtual clinics' favoured by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt could spell the end of traditional doctor's surgeries with appointments conducted on iPads and Skype, and test results delivered by text message.

The Sunday Express reported that NHS bosses are importing the idea from India and believe the changes would cut £2.9bn almost immediately, a good chunk of the £20bn the NHS must save to fill its funding gap.

http://www.dailymail...ve-NHS-3bn.html

Importing it from India? but thats where we get a large % our doctors from anyway.

As it stands, if you go to the doctors today, they will be typing what you say into their computer and coming up with what the computer tells them, this we could have done ourselves at home, difference is, the doctor will then give you a prescription for some anti inflammatory tablets, no matter what the computer says you have.

How do i know this? because its what has happened to me.....and my husband, he went to the doctor about the excruciating pain in his foot, she gave him anti inflammatories, this carried on for 1 year, as it turned out, eventually he went to the hospital....he had 2 fractures in his foot.

if you really do have a serious problem and know that anti inflammatory tablets are not the answer, then go to your nearest hospital instead.

I dont bother Doctors anymore , I dont trust them ,last time I went about Arthritis in the hand (pretty painfull) about 4 yrs ago ,the Doc gave me a prescription for Paracetamol, I binned it in disgust, you can buy a packet for 20 pence.

• Like 1

I dont bother Doctors anymore , I dont trust them ,last time I went about Arthritis in the hand (pretty painfull) about 4 yrs ago ,the Doc gave me a prescription for Paracetamol, I binned it in disgust, you can buy a packet for 20 pence.

Notice how the brand changes, depending on which one the doctors are promoting for the pharmaceutical at that time?

its only when you get to the chemist, if they are any good, they will tell you, you can buy it cheaper if you buy a brand one from behind the counter, and theres not much difference in the products.

Notice how the brand changes, depending on which one the doctors are promoting for the pharmaceutical at that time?

its only when you get to the chemist, if they are any good, they will tell you, you can buy it cheaper if you buy a brand one from behind the counter, and theres not much difference in the products.

I was advised by a reputable Chemist that Ibruprofen (anti-imflammatory pill) is definitely not good for you,as it can have nasty side effects like causing stomach wall bleeding,liver malfunction,although it also takes away pain.Aspirin is also not recommended.so He said Paracetamol is the least harmfull to your system.

I was advised by a reputable Chemist that Ibruprofen (anti-imflammatory pill) is definitely not good for you,as it can have nasty side effects like causing stomach wall bleeding,liver malfunction,although it also takes away pain.Aspirin is also not recommended.so He said Paracetamol is the least harmfull to your system.

he was right, BUT its ok, cos now the doctor will prescribe you another tablet which will help deal with the stomach problems. I had it when i was given diclofenac. no doubt in time if they realise there are side effects not yet known of, they will prescribe you something else to deal with that.

At one time, my husband was on so many tablets, you could hear him rattle while he walked.

Seems like an impersonal, sterile and almost dehumanizing (without being overly dramatic) possibility where the context is concerned. The world seems to be going that way anyhow. It makes sense with replacing cashiers with self service machines in supermarkets (even though the job losses are damaging for society) but having a screen discuss your health or concerns is a worry. The concept would be totally different if you were talking to a friend or a loved one but this isn't a welcome idea imo.The evolution of tecnology for communication is a wonderful thing for the most part and extremely useful but there is the danger that it can take the emotion/human factor out of interactions in the future - not sure if that makes sense, kinda hard to explain! You may as well be talking to a medical robot or something (And I'm sure such things will be giving injections to kids in the not too distant future!).

Some types of telemedicine are impressive and actually can save lives while lowering costs. An example is that a Radiologist sitting at home and looking at a high resolution monitor can diagnose abnormal images from anywhere in the world. So the X ray, CT or MRI can be done in a small town with no Radiologist working there and still get a top notch diagnosis. But to try a primary diagnosis in such a way seems almost insane.

Good Thinking and then, i can see it now though..... these things IN the PHARMACY .

When I was a kid, convenience stores use to have tube testers... Machines that would test vacuum tubes for electronic devices (radios, and tv's mostly)... They were'nt really all that accurate...

So I guess the next thing is a 'body tester'... Just enter your name and a few lights go on and off, a brief whirring noise, some clunks and then a piece of paper pops out and says:

"Dear sir or madam, you are pregnant. Please insert your left leg up to the knee to have your brain tumor removed. A bottle of XXXXXX pills will be dispensed below to cure your halitosis, take as directed." When all you wanted was your blood pressure checked....

The other thing I got from this article was that from now on our medical 'chats' will be with the same person who does the IT trouble calls for IBM... And we all know how well that works out...

I would hate to have anything other than a face-to-face consultation. Anything else would put me off and it can only work to a certain extent anyway as they can't tell just by talking to you. In most cases you need to be examined in some way as well, so I can't see how just talking to you like that will save them very much money in the long run.

Here for minor ailments, they also encourage you to ask the pharmacist at your local chemist first, some chemists have rooms for that purpose so you can ask in private. I've never fancied that idea myself but then I don't usually go to the doctors unless I have to, but I will say I've been very glad of them this year when I had to go into hospital to have surgery. I was well looked after by all involved.

As it stands, if you go to the doctors today, they will be typing what you say into their computer and coming up with what the computer tells them

It's all changed from when they used to write everything down on paper and keep in your file The computer is where your medical records are stored now, they type to update it and add to your notes. In my experience that's done after the doctor or whoever has listened to what you've got to say. As far as I'm aware I haven't been given any medication based on what the computer screen says, the doctor decides first and then types it in.

The medical practice we belong to have an online registration where we can log in and book or cancel appointments and request repeat prescriptions, among other things. It's very handy but I still think an online consultation is a no no.

Edited by Still Waters

One hacker, one virus and everyone gets the wrong diagnosis or prescription.

Not even that! Just the stupidity of the human race is enough. You'll have seen that picture of a stickman wherethe punchline is "either I've got a cold, or liver cancer" or something to that effect?

The medical practice we belong to have an online registration where we can log in and book or cancel appointments and request repeat prescriptions, among other things. It's very handy but I still think an online consultation is a no no.

The problem is, many people will start looking up their symptoms on google, some already do, and sometimes it can get all exaggerated. What could actually be a simple cold, could be mistaken for tuberculosis, a simple cut on the knee and suddenly the person is going to get gangrene and could have to have their lower leg amputated.

There are people out there who just will not settle with a simple explanation. What about those with hypochondria?

The problem is, many people will start looking up their symptoms on google, some already do, and sometimes it can get all exaggerated. What could actually be a simple cold, could be mistaken for tuberculosis, a simple cut on the knee and suddenly the person is going to get gangrene and could have to have their lower leg amputated.

There are people out there who just will not settle with a simple explanation. What about those with hypochondria?

Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing, I agree and should never be used as a substitute for seeing a doctor. However, Googling for information can be useful depending on the reason for the search. Before my surgery I had various tests done at the hospital and being able to look them up to find out more about what was involved beforehand, I found very helpful as then I knew what to expect each time I went.

Prescriptions too, it's handy to know exactly what you've been given. Looking them up on Google will tell you more about them.

• Like 2

I think all doctors should have to do bedpan duty for about a month so they will have more respect for those that work with them.

Hiya "H", They probably do at some stage, there's a couple in my small town who work in the local bar/supermarket/MacD's to earn a few $'s to get them thru' college,and they are very polite good guys,always cheery.The problem is that these jobs are pretty crap with basic wages,but at least they are trying.

See, my local surgery, or practice, or whatever they are called at the moment, is a really good one with top-notch docs, but I've heard so many people have real complaints regarding some; I guess some are in it for the money, and others are in it for the sake of their fellows. It's a shame really; they have a service to provide. And what you said about Ibroprufen; yeah, it really pans in my stomach if I have to take it with any real regularity! Not good at all! I barely even take paracetamol these days if I can get away with it.

Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing, I agree and should never be used as a substitute for seeing a doctor. However, Googling for information can be useful depending on the reason for the search. Before my surgery I had various tests done at the hospital and being able to look them up to find out more about what was involved beforehand, I found very helpful as then I knew what to expect each time I went.

Prescriptions too, it's handy to know exactly what you've been given. Looking them up on Google will tell you more about them.

absolutely, I always look up any new tablets given to me, its easier to read sometimes than the details in the box, it is also good for others opinion.

the internet is very good for helping to understand or even self diagnose. But for some people, they can end up thinking the worse,

i have seen people turn up to doctors for minor reasons, but to them its a life and death situation. Saying that, not sure if diagnosis from the internet or going to the doctor will make a difference to their frame of mind.

• Like 1