Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reasoning Is Sharper in a Foreign Language

Still Waters

The language we use affects the decisions we make, according to a new study. Participants made more rational decisions when money-related choices were posed in a foreign language that they had learned in a classroom setting than when they were asked in a native tongue.

http://www.scientifi...oreign-language

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• Still Waters

• AwakenAscension

• CuriousGreek

Because they were paying attention. Not just drifting on autopilot.

I remember always thinking that in Europe, the autoban (or whatever hwy it was w/no speed limit) must be the most dangerous place to drive, but then I saw a study where they said though the accidents there are usually worse, the rate of accidents here in the US is way higher.. Then I was like "Ofcourse!" because we're always driving slow and multitasking.. playing w/the radio, text messaging, eating burgers and just going with it. If I picture myself driving 120mph, my whole focus is on what Im doing.

I imagine it is the same, if I am having to really pay attention to the language and understand what I'm doing with my money. If I make financial decisions exactly the same way that I always do, I can just do that and be thinking of two or three other things all at the same time. But if it requires focused attention (foreign language), I'll be centered in that moment, not fragmented in four different places in my mind.

Edited by AwakenAscension

I've often wondered this, that people with a second language can appear to be far more intelligible and concise about there subject, when they are talking about it in the non native language. I wonder if it also by passes the emotional processes of the mind involved in making money decisions.

That's not a case about me. My first language is Greek, but i could easily made a decision in both English and Greek, if i had to, no matter what that decision would concern...but that's up to everyone's knowledge of a language, mentality and so many other factors.These experiments are not 100% reliable. (Note: I did not write my last sentence due to the exceptions, that, as you may all know, exist in everything around us).