Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black floating amoeba orb

Fargone

I am very much a newbie to message boards. Bear with me. My mind was completely blown this morning and I am trying to find a logical explanation for what I saw (and my cat) but I can't!

Around 4:30am I woke up to one of my cats shuffling around and making noise. I checked the time on my phone and rolled over to see what my cat was getting into. As I re-situated myself laying on my back I noticed something a little to the left of my vision. I blinked to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing. Floating above the side where my husband sleeps and making its way towards my side was this blacker than black orb thing, about the size of my hand. It changed shapes as it was moving ever so slowly. I blinked again, really hard, to validate this was happening. The object was towards the end of the bed, where my other cat sleeps. She perked up because she saw it too! The orb hovered over my legs, almost like it was looking at me or acknowledging my presence. My feelings were more of shock/awe and I kept thinking, what the...? My cat then tried attacking this black orb thing. She swatted and acted as if she had it pinned down to the bed. I am trying to rationalize everything and was like, cool, it is a bug. BUT I live in North Dakota, its November, 25 degrees out and the size would be more like a bird not an insect. Ugh. I got up and looked to where she was digging in the blanket and there was nothing there. My cat's ears were pinned back and she honestly looked as confused as I felt. The rest of the morning she was by my side (not typical behavior for her) and the other cat was whinier than usual.

I think I am sensitive to some things, but more of a feeler than an actual seer. I am wondering if this is a member from my family that has passed or just an accumulation of energy from my husband and I? (trying times of late) Today would have been my grandma's birthday, although she died 16 yrs ago. My favorite uncle passed away almost a year ago...... Could it be a message from my mom? I HAVE NO IDEA. I have ruled out my vision because my cat was a witness too. I told my husband about it this morning. I think he believes me, haha. His response was, 'Is that why I am so sore?' Could that be?

Will I be seeing more of these black orbs? Has anyone else had similar experience? I would love to compare stories. I feel like a dork about it because I honestly didn't think I would have an experience like this.

• Like 6

I've never seen an orb but I have seen a ghost. I have seen other unusual things that I have a hard time believing they were real. Something was standing by my bed one time that scared me to death. Looked like the devil and I covered my head up hoping it would go away and I was just seeing things but when I looked again it had moved to the foot of my bed. I screamed at it in the name of god it wasn't welcome in my home and it turned around and ran out of the room. It wasn't sleep paralysis because I had no problem moving or talking and it was daytime with the sun shining in plus I had been awake several minutes just not wanting to get up.

• Like 1

Most bedrooms aren't as dark as we'd like to think they are. While I have a denim curtain in my bedroom, light from the streetlight right outside manages to get in anyway. Plus there's the glow of the digital numbers on my alarm clock. If a computer is kept in the bedroom, there are lights usually that glow constantly.

• Like 2

I have sheer curtains (I need to wake up with sun). Clear moonlit sky/street lights/snow makes for a lit room. My guess it is more of an energy thing than an actual spirit as I wasn't thaaaat scared. So many life things happening! I am curious if this will happen to me when I am on the road for work.

Thanks for the welcome! ;)

• Haha 1

I have sheer curtains (I need to wake up with sun). Clear moonlit sky/street lights/snow makes for a lit room. My guess it is more of an energy thing than an actual spirit as I wasn't thaaaat scared. So many life things happening! I am curious if this will happen to me when I am on the road for work.

Thanks for the welcome! ;)

The bit where you say "blacker than black orb thing, about the size of my hand" fits with the Tengu of Japan or the UK equivalent. It wasn't a floating orb imo, but a 'little man' crytpid with jet-black fur which can move quicker than the eye can see.

The bit where you say "blacker than black orb thing, about the size of my hand" fits with the Tengu of Japan or the UK equivalent. It wasn't a floating orb imo, but a 'little man' crytpid with jet-black fur which can move quicker than the eye can see.

A little man? You're losing it.
  • Haha 2

i'm trying to imagine something that is blacker than black. i mean that's got to be pretty black!

• 5 months later...

I've been doing searches today for "smoky orb" "floating ball" etc and finally stumbled upon this post. Let me explain as I saw EXACTLY what you described last night or rather early this morning.

I woke up at about 3:30am , which has been happening on and off for a while but not that much recently. I thought it was having to go pee etc.. Anyway I looked up at the ceiling to my right and hovering right below the ceiling was this smokey ball that seemed to be morphing or swirling it's difficult to describe that part but it seemed like it had a texture? It was the size of of perhaps 50% larger than a tennis ball. I too blinked to make sure it wasn't something stuck in my eye but it was still there. It disappeared not in an instant but seemed to shrink and disappear I'd say in a second? I was literally stunned as I couldn't believe what I'd just seen! It was as if it was intelligent as i did sense perhaps it disappeared when I recognized its presence?

I did have a strange experience when I was 14 (I'm 40 now) hearing a cacophony of voices but that was different though also involved waking in the night, at least that time. My mom at the time wrote it off as me experimenting with drugs or something. That's another post entirely but equally as terrifying.

Reading your post describes what I saw. I've lived in a new townhouse for 11 months almost to the day and haven't seen this before, though now wonder just why I've been waking at almost the exact same time on a regular basis, though its been over a month since it happened last. Did it happen again to you?

• Like 3

I've been doing searches today for "smoky orb" "floating ball" etc and finally stumbled upon this post. Let me explain as I saw EXACTLY what you described last night or rather early this morning.

I woke up at about 3:30am , which has been happening on and off for a while but not that much recently. I thought it was having to go pee etc.. Anyway I looked up at the ceiling to my right and hovering right below the ceiling was this smokey ball that seemed to be morphing or swirling it's difficult to describe that part but it seemed like it had a texture? It was the size of of perhaps 50% larger than a tennis ball. I too blinked to make sure it wasn't something stuck in my eye but it was still there. It disappeared not in an instant but seemed to shrink and disappear I'd say in a second? I was literally stunned as I couldn't believe what I'd just seen! It was as if it was intelligent as i did sense perhaps it disappeared when I recognized its presence?

I did have a strange experience when I was 14 (I'm 40 now) hearing a cacophony of voices but that was different though also involved waking in the night, at least that time. My mom at the time wrote it off as me experimenting with drugs or something. That's another post entirely but equally as terrifying.

Reading your post describes what I saw. I've lived in a new townhouse for 11 months almost to the day and haven't seen this before, though now wonder just why I've been waking at almost the exact same time on a regular basis, though its been over a month since it happened last. Did it happen again to you?

Hi there, she posted in november, you are probably not going to get a response, but what you are both wittnessing is a fairly common occurrence associated with sleep paralysis and hyonogogic imagery. I have seen that smoky mass and chased it down my hallway.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

http://www.google.com/search?q=sleep+paralysis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#itp=open0

• 1 year later...

I have seen a black floating "thing" 3 times in the past 10 years. One was large, probably 4ft, and the others were approximately 2-2.5'.

The first time I saw one I woke up in the middle of the night and the big one was hovering above my husband. It had long 'tentacle' things that seemed to sway soft & slow, and many of them were touching him. He was a VERY light sleeper, and yet no matter what I did, he wouldn't wake up. At first, I rubbed my eyes~it was still there. I tried kicking him. Pinching him. Yelling. Nothing I did woke him up or even made him flinch. I rolled over to try & go back to sleep & when I peeked a minute later, that thing was still there. Back & forth~I tried everything. It never disappeared. It seems like longer, but I'm guessing this was a 15 minute ordeal. I finally wrote it off as a giant spider web that had partially broken free from our cheesy popcorn ceiling and went back to sleep. There was no web when I woke up.

The second time, (only a week or so after the first), I had just laid down midday and closed my eyes. Not sure why I opened my eyes, but I did & it was floating low to the ground and coming towards me. I got angry when I saw it, yelled a few bad words, and it disappeared. During this same time frame, (week), my cat was sleeping on the bed while I laid on my belly reading. Out of the blue she wearily glances my way, her eyes dilated as she looked right above me, and she randomly dove across the bed onto my face attacking me with her back claws. (First time I've ever thrown a cat!)

The last time, only a few months ago, I woke up to see one hovering above me and I, again, was NOT happy. I cursed a bit, angrily, and the thing sucked into itself~poof! Gone.

Could it have been a hallucination? You betcha. I would prefer to think so, but there is that slim chance that there is more to it. Is there a commonality among those of us who've see this? Pets? Sleep disorders? My ex was diagnosed with bladder cancer right after (he's fine now)? Each were followed by a death in the family? I wake up multiple times every night? Are we all seeing the same thing? Different versions?

My sister called me one morning years ago because she had awaken in the night to see a dark thing hovering above her. She looked at it, declared it to be nothing more than that black balloon, only to realize in the morning that she didn't HAVE a black balloon.

Just something to think about.

• Like 1

My partner had a very odd experience similar to this. He saw a black ball of fur about the size of a basketball hovering in mid air. He said it was there, moved slightly, and then was just gone. We were both experiencing all sorts of phenomena during that time, including poltergeist-type activity, disembodied voices, and shadow beings.

My partner had a very odd experience similar to this. He saw a black ball of fur about the size of a basketball hovering in mid air. He said it was there, moved slightly, and then was just gone. We were both experiencing all sorts of phenomena during that time, including poltergeist-type activity, disembodied voices, and shadow beings.

Ever read Steven King's, "Four Past Midnight" or seen the very bad movie, "The Langoliers"?

I haven't. Neither has the partner. I'm assuming there might be floating black balls of fur in them?

Edited by ChaosRose

I haven't. Neither has the partner. I'm assuming there might be floating black balls of fur in them?

Yep, and somehow they eat through the space/time continum. Maybe Stephen King heard the same stories and based his story on them. IDK.

It wasn't dark on any occasion. First time, there was the light from the kitchen shining in as well as the TV on in the room (we didn't have a door for our BR). Second time was midday. This last time I fell asleep on the couch (different house and years later) with the TV on and a light from the adjacent area. It's odd, though, how many people see the same damn thing and describe it in their own unique way. I was truly ANGRY the last 2x, but think I'd like to see it again. I want to know what the heck it is. I may rack up the courage to touch it~I'll let you know how that works out ;)

What gets my mind racing is not being able to wake up my ex. He was such a light sleeper. It's not like I was laying there not moving. I sat up, leaned in close, backed away, rubbed my eyes many times, whispered and poked...then pinched and spoke loudly, on and on. I rolled over a few times and it was always there when I looked again.

Edited by puddlebug74

• 1 month later...

Just had a similar experience last night. I was up late until around 3am. Went to bed woke up around 4ish after dreaming. My eyes were wide open and I saw this floating ball with tentacles but they were all balled up but moving slowly. I though maybe it was something in my eye and I'm just seeing it really close up, like dust on a lens. It was like a bunch of thick works sorta curling around each other. It looked similar to a brain I guess but definitely in perpetual slow motion. I kept telling myself that I'm calm, I'm not afraid and it's ok to see something like this. In other words I was inviting the experience by trying to stay still to make sure I wasn't tripping. Similar to not trying to scare off a bird or animal in observation. It reminded me of the Van Gogh, Starry Night painting a bit.

Just wondering if this is a case of sleep depravation combined with my recently adopted vegan diet. I don't drink, smoke or do any type of drugs to bring on a hallucination of sorts. I do stare at a computer screen often. The room gets really really dark at night also. The only light is the red light from the alarm clock which is in the direction I was looking and saw the presence. I'm not going to try and force the experience again but it was quite fascinating. I was trying to think was I between a dream and awake stage... but I was definitely awake. After it sort of faded away I sat up to make sure I wasn't just dreaming then I wen back to sleep.

• 1 month later...

My girl friend and I have had something exactly like this in our apartment. We live in a very small one bedroom apartment in Colorado Springs, CO that has been there since the seventies. My girl friend has trouble sleeping at night so our TV is always on. She was asleep when I woke up. I looked up and saw a black orb floating above our bed and directly above my girl friend. It didn't reflect any light from the TV. It was the size of a baseball, it was solid black, it's tough to put into words something you have never seen before, or ever even heard of, but it seemed to be in constant motion but never changing. It too had short tentacles that were also in constant motion but still looked the same. I looked up at it for about 4 to 5 seconds. I blinked hard thinking there may be something in my eyes. It was still there. It didn't have eyes that you could see but I had the feeling that it was looking at my girl friend. Right after I blinked hard, it looked over at me and slowly moved away towards our closet and disappeared into the wall. I didn't wake my girl friend because I didn't want to frighten her and she has a thing with being very over dramatic. I waited until later to tell her. Due to the fact that the was floating above her and I told her that it was looking at her, she became very frightened. Like I said, she is always over dramatic. I also remember I did not get the feeling that I should be afraid. But I DID get the feeling that it was made up of pure, powerful energy.

About a week later, my girl friend called me at work in the middle of the day and said "why did you come in here, wake me up with your cold hands on my face and then leave?". I told her I have not left my office all day. Apparently she saw someone in our apartment, standing in the bedroom doorway. She said the person walked up and put both hands on her cheeks and turned around and walked out into the living room. She had been sleeping and was very groggy at the time. She said the hands that touched her cheeks were very cold. She was annoyed thinking that it was me, went in to the bathroom, came back out and whoever it was had left. She told me that because she thought it was me, she wasn't looking closely at who ever it was. She checked the only entry to the apartment and both the knob and the dead bolt were locked. When I told her that I had not been home she was very frightened. She called a friend of hers who is a "sensitive" and takes part in ghost hunting with a group of people that all have some sort of Psychic abilities. She told him all about our experiences. He told her he had never witnessed a black orb with tentacles and was not sure exactly what it was. About a week later he called her and said he was at work when a feeling came over him (I guess that's how it works for him, he has unexpected visions). He said that this entity that we saw is a young man that inhabits the apartment building. He didn't know how he came to be there but he just stays there and kind of keeps a watch over the apartments. He said he thinks his name is Kyle. He also said that he enjoys "playing" with my girl friend. Which means to me that he likes to scare her. He's doing a good job of it.

In January, 2015, I stayed at home one day because I was sick. Both my girl friend and I were laying in bed watching TV. Both of us saw this orb come out of the closet, it was the size of a volley ball this time, travel about 10 feet toward the bathroom. As soon as we turned to look, it darted into the bathroom and disappeared.

We are moving out of the apartment at the end of this month and we both are hoping that nothing follows us to our next apartment. We are both more than happy to get out of there. I haven't even mentioned in this statement all of what has been going on since we moved onto this apartment. Just the direct sightings. There have been things falling off the counter in the Kitchen in the middle of the night. Most notably pans fall out of the dish strainer and onto the floor. Pictures falling off the walls. I don't think he likes us there. That's OK though. We don't like him either.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have witnessed this as well. I describe it as a ball of yarn with lots of loose ends swirling around. I could not discern whether it was good or bad but it sure seemed to know when to disappear. At the time I was just beginning my introduction to God. Many, many things have happened since that defy logic but it's almost as if I'm desensitized to high-strangeness. There is really nothing that could show up that I would fear.

• 1 year later...

Ok so I've lately been waking up too this big black thing. It's always on my ceiling. It has tentacles and is not an orb. I am wondering if this is the same thing you guys were seeing. I am really confused. At one point in time it was spikey, which I found really weird. But the last time I saw it, the tentacles got a lot longer. And I mean a lot longer! At first it was small. Now it's getting bigger. for instance at one point it was not even half way to the floor. Now its like half way to the floor with its tentacles. I cant remember what I did exactly the last time I saw it. I just remember waking up and seeing tentacles hanging and for some odd reason I closed my eyes then thought to myself no what the **** did I just see and opened my eyes again and was like holy ****. I remember panicking and thinking about heading for the door but the tentacles were so long to the point in which I thought I would be grabbed if I went to turn on the light . Wait!! I just remember I wanted to use my phone for a light, to see if I could use the light to see this thing better. But I think it warped. Or may'be it put me  to sleep I cant really remember what. I really wish I could remember the rest. And the other first encounters. I also remember, this thing like warps in and out of my room. I remember it doing that. Which is really weird.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know I'm not the only one.  I have been waking up to orbs at my parents house ever since I moved back home in 2012 (I don't live there now, but see them if I stay in my old room).  Sometimes they are just shadow orbs.  But sometimes they have amoeba-like tentacles, or pointy edges.  They will come close to my face, about an inch away, and I wake up because I can sense a presence.  It is like they are trying to wake me up.  Then, they just float there for about 20 seconds, as if they are looking at me.  Then, they slowly float away.  If I try to talk to them, they float away faster. 

I have also seen two ghosts there, a little girl, and a man, at two different times.  They are like shadows more than anything.  I couldn't make out details or see their faces.  They both woke me up frantically.  I heard, "wake up, wake up," in my mind. 

But I usually see shadow orbs.  I have seen them more times than I can remember.  I have seen them other places before, but usually only at my parents house.  

• Like 1

@Cory  & @Seeingthings Just a reminder this thread has been inactive for a very long time and it is highly unlikely that you will get many replies

10 hours ago, Seeingthings said:

Good to know I'm not the only one.  I have been waking up to orbs at my parents house ever since I moved back home in 2012 (I don't live there now, but see them if I stay in my old room).  Sometimes they are just shadow orbs.  But sometimes they have amoeba-like tentacles, or pointy edges.  They will come close to my face, about an inch away, and I wake up because I can sense a presence.  It is like they are trying to wake me up.  Then, they just float there for about 20 seconds, as if they are looking at me.  Then, they slowly float away.  If I try to talk to them, they float away faster. 

I have also seen two ghosts there, a little girl, and a man, at two different times.  They are like shadows more than anything.  I couldn't make out details or see their faces.  They both woke me up frantically.  I heard, "wake up, wake up," in my mind. 

But I usually see shadow orbs.  I have seen them more times than I can remember.  I have seen them other places before, but usually only at my parents house.  

You can easily oust this kind of thing, as well as other phenomena.

I don't know what belief system you have, but just use something from that. In the absence, you can find the LBRP online. It'll help get things back in balance.