Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magnetic Wormholes Are Real

I love it when a good piece of science-fiction turns out to have been foresight ....

"Star-gates, magnetic portals, vortexes in space: Science fiction writers have given the concept of extraordinary openings in space/time all sorts of names to explain how travelers from far distant realms of space, time or both, arrive in Earth skies. However, this is a science fiction ploy to enable a good story, is it not?".....

....Well?....read this...

http://www.eresey.co...rtals-do-exist/

perhaps interstellar travel will be possible within my lifetime after all! :tu:

[must start to save my pennies for holiday to 'Risa' !]

Cheers.

Edited by 1963
  • Like 2

I think interstellar travel has already been going on just not by us. Maybe this will make it possible.

“They’re places where the magnetic field of Earth connects to the magnetic field of the Sun, creating an uninterrupted path leading from our own planet to the sun’s atmosphere 93 million miles away.”

=================================================================

trust me people, you do not want to be travelling there!

"A favorite theme of science fiction is "the portal"--an extraordinary opening in space or time that connects travelers to distant realms. A good portal is a shortcut, a guide, a door into the unknown. If only they actually existed....

It turns out that they do, sort of..."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/mag-portals.html

Thank God they're starting to pinpoint these portals. I was starting to worry about the Starship Enterprise in the future. Imagine what would happen when Spock and Kirk were trying to get away from the Klingons and they had to start looking for the wormhole portal?

Edited by BlackRedLittleDevil
  • Like 1

My question is whats at the bottom of a black whole, near the singularity.

I don't want to disappoint anyone, but these are not wormholes in any sense of the word, as the NASA article posted by Likely Guy explains.

These are ``channels'' in the Earth-Sun magnetosphere. That's all.

Particles from the Solar wind are deflected by magnetic fields. In these ``channels'' the particles can flow without crossing field lines, so these magnetic structures act as ``guides'' for the Solar wind.

It is more of a highway than a portal. The particles still travel the entire 93 million miles (or more, depending on how straight the magnetic channel is) through space from the Sun to the Earth normally.

These portals aren't really that interesting for space travel because most spacecraft have their own means of propulsion and can basically ignore the Sun's magnetic field. (I suppose they might be interesting for spacecraft propelled by the Solar wind.)

• Like 3

My question is whats at the bottom of a black whole, near the singularity.

Our lost luggage!

What is around a singularity in the center of a black hole?

There are 2 possible answers.

First answer...Some people believe that a black hole is empty, and cold, and the singularity in the center is smaller than the neucleus of an hydrogen atom, yep smaller than a single proton. This infinite small spot is also so heavy, and dense, that everything drawn into the event horizon falls into the singularity, which never gets bigger, just more heavy. The heavier the singularity, the more gravitational pull, the further out the event horizon will be.

Second answer...some people believe that a black hole is solid with a core and a mantle. When matter falls into a black hole, all atoms are stripped of their electrons. The light and energy are forced into the core while the protons and neutrons are smashed together making up the mantle. So to answer your question, I think you would find trillion degree temps around the absolute center of the black hole.

Here is an article on a couple of black holes we have recently discovered in our own milky way, just 10,000 light years away.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9585571/Two-black-holes-found-lurking-inside-Milky-Way.html

Edited by Pyridium

Our lost luggage!

And all the single socks that throughout time mysteriously have disappeared in washing machines....

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1