Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Judge Rules Tobacco Cos Admit To Lies

Simbi Laveau

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-orders-tobacco-companies-admit-deception-012657936--sector.html

Judge orders all US tabacco companies to make public service announcements ,where they must admit to lies perpetuated on the American public,about the true dangers of cigarette smoking.

The lies dating back to 1964 ,must be rectified.

The announcements can run for up to two years. The companies may appeal .

So now,it took 60 years to admit this danger...so maybe in 2073 ,the pharmaceutical companies will be doing the same.

We can hope ....

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

Yep. It destroys lives.

I don't understand it at all really, but I've entered into my cycles with chewing tobacco for a while. It's not a whole tract of joy let me tell you, should have never tried it

well that's their profits ... up in smoke B) *YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!*

Read some of the comments .They are quite interesting.

Should we be asking you which hat you're wearing,on any given day ?

Like,what hat are you wearing today ,if I may ask ?

It's no longer a practice, but back in the 50's and 60's young men entering the military were given free cigarettes. Does that make the government complicit? Don't know. But it certainly generated huge numbers of new customers for the tobacco companies.

But it's a good ruling by the judge, and will hopefully be upheld on appeal.

• Like 1

Does anyone these days really need PSA's to realize the dangers of tobacco and has anyone in the last 40 years really bought into whatever lies they are telling? Besides, I thought that's what the surgeon generals label warnings were for. Goodness. Anyway, I am a smoker and I quit giving most of my money to Phillip Morris almost 2 years ago. I roll my own smokes now. A bag of tobacco and a couple cartons of cigarette tubes is only about $20 or around $0.70 a pack on average. The only time I buy Marlboros is when I really have no other choice and that's 10 packs or less a year. They taste like crap and are filled with chemicals whereas the stuff I buy is all natural. Yes I know it not healthy by any means and yes I know what a terrible habit smoking is. It's a love/hate relationship as I believe it is with many smokers. I have often said that there is no more addicting and dangerous drug in the world than tobacco. I know there are hard street drugs but the number people tobacco has a hold on compared to the number of junkies is, well I don't know but I'm sure there is no comparison which one has a greater effect on society.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

oh, please.

even nazi did study and had huge antismoking campain in late 30's early 40's, and it was not secret reaserch, so it was know to be harmfull before 60's.

Wait, tobacco companies lied and smoking is bad for you?! I am shocked! SHOCKED!

-monocle pops out- Whatwhatwhat? Next you will be telling me those fixed wing 'aerocrafts' will be carting people across the ocean! Preposterous! -scoffs-

Edited by Hasina

-monocle pops out- Whatwhatwhat? Next you will be telling me those fixed wing 'aerocrafts' will be carting people across the ocean! Preposterous! -scoffs-

psshht. "aerocraft" indeed! Nothing will replace the steam engine in power and efficiency, madam. The power of steam will carry us across the oceans in luxury. Why, just look at that new Titanic ship. Sure to be top of the libe, no doubt.

psshht. "aerocraft" indeed! Nothing will replace the steam engine in power and efficiency, madam. The power of steam will carry us across the oceans in luxury. Why, just look at that new Titanic ship. Sure to be top of the libe, no doubt.

You sir are the rum cad that only seeks to befoul the air and spoil the coast line.

Sail sir, sail is the cornerstone of a civilised society. And if you need to get about within a country, well there are canals for that.

• Like 1

You sir are the rum cad that only seeks to befoul the air and spoil the coast line.

Sail sir, sail is the cornerstone of a civilised society. And if you need to get about within a country, well there are canals for that.

Your "sailing boats" are nothing but rubbish, sir! Your canals have befouled my beautiful lands! I used to see naught but crops and mollies! Now it's just your disgusting filth filled channels!

I challenge your best "sailing boat" to my steam vessel! Then, and only then, shall we see whom the better man is!

Your "sailing boats" are nothing but rubbish, sir! Your canals have befouled my beautiful lands! I used to see naught but crops and mollies! Now it's just your disgusting filth filled channels!

I challenge your best "sailing boat" to my steam vessel! Then, and only then, shall we see whom the better man is!

-holds up two flintlock pistols- Gonna race like dogs? Or duel like men?

• Like 1

-holds up two flintlock pistols- Gonna race like dogs? Or duel like men?

-grabs pistol- I am willing to kill or die for honor, madam!

oh, please.

even nazi did study and had huge antismoking campain in late 30's early 40's, and it was not secret reaserch, so it was know to be harmfull before 60's.

Yes,and this is how stupid the American public is.

Unless a scheister doctor tells them this,they believe everything they read,despite decades of proof.

I'm telling ya,2073 ,the truth about big pharm will come out ,and everyone will go ...ohhhh....reeeally !?!?!?!????

How much you want to bet that every tobacco company will be looking into buying an ecig line. Lorillard has already done it with Blu and you've probably noticed they're marketing the crap out of it now too. I haven 't decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing yet. One one hand it's good because ecigs have no known harmful side effects, it might be bad if the tobacco companies change that by adding a bunch of harmful things to them.

Yea but e-cigs will never take off because they're not addicting and from I've heard from a couple people they pretty much suck and are not satisfying. And I know this is an ironic question considering the alternative but how safe is it to inhale water vapor on a long term basis?