Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Government Report Supports Closing Guantánamo

questionmark

WASHINGTON (AP) — The prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, could be closed and the 166 detainees being held there could be absorbed safely by prisons in the United States, a government report says.

Many of the detainees are accused of plotting terrorist acts against the United States.

“This report demonstrates that if the political will exists, we could finally close Guantánamo without imperiling our national security,” said Senator Dianne Feinstein, the Senate Intelligence Committee chairwoman, who released the Government Accountability Office study on Wednesday.

Read more

We were told there were around 800 Detainees at the height of it's use?? .. which means around 600 have been released without being charged . ..(about 500 during Bush who in one of his releases of verbal excrement, called them all ..the worst of the worst ) How many have bee charged with anything? 3? Gitmo was for show. All it did was disgust most of the world and many U.S. military and political leaders as well.

The remainder of the uncharged detainees are to be "absorbed" by U.S. prisons ... for what? Aren't you supposed to be tried and convicted of something to be put in prison? It seems this "report" wasn't thought out very well?

• Like 1

We were told there were around 800 Detainees at the height of it's use?? .. which means around 600 have been released without being charged . ..(about 500 during Bush who in one of his releases of verbal excrement, called them all ..the worst of the worst ) How many have bee charged with anything? 3? Gitmo was for show. All it did was disgust most of the world and many U.S. military and political leaders as well.

The remainder of the uncharged detainees are to be "absorbed" by U.S. prisons ... for what? Aren't you supposed to be tried and convicted of something to be put in prison? It seems this "report" wasn't thought out very well?

The Report most probably was, Guantanamo was certainly not.

The Report most probably was, Guantanamo was certainly not.

I dunno quesrtionmark, I think maybe the small group of chuckleheads that came up with the idea gave it quite a bit of thought... i think they wanted to show the world that Unca Sam can do pretty much anything he wants... and to set Precedent, legal or otherwise, by instigating many of the "Measures" created , or employed, to fight THE 'war on terror'.

I dunno quesrtionmark, I think maybe the small group of chuckleheads that came up with the idea gave it quite a bit of thought... i think they wanted to show the world that Unca Sam can do pretty much anything he wants... and to set Precedent, legal or otherwise, by instigating many of the "Measures" created , or employed, to fight THE 'war on terror'.

And by that they have restricted the US in ways we had not experienced since the 19th century, they might have shown they can do what they want but the credibility in as far as human rights went straight through the tubies, to the point that they decided that it was better to have Libya (I kid you not) the seat in the UN human rights commission.

Obama promised to close that bad boy down during his couple of weeks in office.

He did. Congress would not go along.