Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man cheats death after speeding train hits

Still Waters

A father who was hit on the head by a train travelling at 70mph cheated death and walked away with just whiplash and swelling.

Stephen Wright had been standing on the edge of the railway platform feeling nauseous and did not spot the train speeding towards him.

As he leant over, he felt a bang on his head from the packed commuter train, which was not scheduled to stop at the station.

http://www.telegraph...s-his-head.html

Drunk I'd be willing to bet. Feeling nauseous and leaning over the tracks? Too many beers after work.

• Like 4

Drunk I'd be willing to bet. Feeling nauseous and leaning over the tracks? Too many beers after work.

That would mean he was relaxed so the impact wouldn't be as bad. So it makes sense. :tu:

• Like 1

I'm just glad it wasn't the comedian Stephen Wright.

There's a guardian angel watching over him for sure. When it's not your time to go, it's not your time to go. Very lucky man indeed.

And now think about that train driver for a minute: imagine you pass a station at 70 mph, and you see a man leaning over the tracks, knowing you can't possibly stop in time.

• Like 1

I wonder if this was on CCTV. It'd be cool to see a video of him getting hit and surviving.... But he has to be careful... Head trauma is dangerous.... If he gets headaches he should go to the hospital. Poor bloke.

Lucky guy, that had to hurt. Must have been scary since his kids were with him, glad nothing more serious happened. :(

Edited by sarah_444

fascinating. One thought- he's got some decent padding with that haircut of his.

Might sound silly, but I saw part of a program some time ago that showed scientists looking into the phenomenon of babies falling from flat blocks and surviving almost unscathed- and they discovered that the nappy can provide a remarkable amount of shock absorption...

So it's kinda an interesting coincidence that he fell from a flat block as a baby and survived too!

I think this is a man who has gone through life with the right padding at the right time. :P

Some people die falling off a 3' ladder and some survive falling from a plane. The human body is an effed up friggin thing.

Edited by mrknownothing
  • Like 1

Hope it "knocked" some sense into to him to not do that again. :passifier:

Lucky guy, that had to hurt. Must have been scary since his kids were with him, glad nothing more serious happened. :(

Oh yeah, lucky is an understatement - he could easily have been sucked right into the gap between the train and the platform with a train going past at that speed and proximity.

• Like 1

Apparently, alcohol does something to you, I forget what, but if you're drunk and jump off your house roof and break a leg, you're less likely to feel any pain, or you may not even break any bones at all because of how flimsy you are. Thats perhaps what happened here.

Then again, he was smacked by a train, so who knows? It's a wonder the guys neck wasn't broken.

That had to hurt like hell. Wonder if there was any damage to the train?