Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl, 8, bitten by dolphin at SeaWorld

Still Waters

Eight-year-old Jillian Thomas is so obsessed with dolphins that when her parents brought her to SeaWorld Orlando last week, she made sure to visit the dolphin cove twice.

But she and her parents received the fright of their lives when the marine mammal lunged toward her during the feeding and snapped his toothy snout around the 8-year-old's hand.

Eight-year-old Jillian Thomas is so obsessed with dolphins that when her parents brought her to SeaWorld Orlando last week, she made sure to visit the dolphin cove twice.

http://www.orlandose...0,3056755.story

Well..what is nice is that the girl did not seem too bothered by the incident and was actually worried about the animal.

I agree that more supervision was needed and perhaps the family should have been instructed on how to properly feed the dolphins.

Also..one should always be aware that these are still animals and sometimes even in the best of circumstances something can happen.

Well..what is good is that there is no lawsuit or anyone screaming for the animal to be killed or something.

Interesting, the kid seems to have more sense than the adults here. She seems to understand that the dolphin is simply an animal that got carried away at snack time.

• Like 6

I think the Dolphin thought it was grabbing a fish. I think it is a bad idea to have kids feeding dolphins like that. Dolphins don't belong in a fish tank. It is cruel to keep them that. I have never been and won't go to Sea World.

• Like 1

I'm glad she was a smart enough little girl to not let things get carried away. I'm sure the dolphin wasn't trying to bite her and was only going after the fish, and I'm glad she realized it.

• Like 2

Bless her, she'll prolly grow up to be a Marine Biologist! <3 Tough lil cookie!

Maybe they could use a padded extension for children that clamps the fish enough for the littlies to reach out and feed them!

Edited by xCrimsonx

Dolphins are agressive towards each other in the wild. Many have bite marks and scratches on their bodies and fins. Naturally sooner or later one will take a nip at a human if they are in close contact.

I watched the video, it looks just like it was going after more fish because she lifted the plate up. (which apparantly she was told not to do) But that's exactly why kids probably shouldn't be doing this. Kids get excited, kids get distracted, kids make mistakes. Hand feeding any kind of animal you are taking a risk.

She seems like a smart kid though. Too bad her parents decided to post the video to the media/public after promising her they wouldn't show it to anyone.

• Like 4

Jillian did not get an infection but she was melancholic for a few days. She worried the dolphin was might be hurt after eating the paper plate in her hand and she prayed for it, her mother said

Jillian did not get an infection but she was melancholic for a few days. She worried the dolphin was might be hurt after eating the paper plate in her hand and she prayed for it, her mother said

...and the parents are probably worried about the amount of money that they can get an attorney to sue for.

...and the parents are probably worried about the amount of money that they can get an attorney to sue for.

Don't give them ideas, buddy!

• Like 1

I think the Dolphin thought it was grabbing a fish. I think it is a bad idea to have kids feeding dolphins like that. Dolphins don't belong in a fish tank. It is cruel to keep them that. I have never been and won't go to Sea World.

Yeah I hate the idea too.

There's an old beach town several hours north of where I live that has dolphins coming into the shallow waters every morning and afternoon. Apparently it's been happening since before the British settlement.

They have daily feedings of the dolphins, usually done by a marine biologist or similar that also teaches a bit about them. It's good to see them up and close in their natural environment.

Monkey Mia, yes funny name.

The parents can't sue because as Sarah pointed out everyone else was following the rules but she did not. Leave your paper plate on the ledge. Also if you have ever been to Seaworld's Dolphin Cove you would know that the rules also state to walk away as soon as you are done so others can have their chance. She stood there, held up her paper plate, and that is what the dolphin went for. Guess the girl wasn't that smart after all but I bet she never makes the same mistake again.

I watched the video, it looks just like it was going after more fish because she lifted the plate up. (which apparantly she was told not to do) But that's exactly why kids probably shouldn't be doing this. Kids get excited, kids get distracted, kids make mistakes. Hand feeding any kind of animal you are taking a risk.

She seems like a smart kid though. Too bad her parents decided to post the video to the media/public after promising her they wouldn't show it to anyone.

Awesome post but I disagree with the last two sentences. Her father released the tape as a warning to other parents. That is a valuable service because most parents probably figure it is a controlled environment and nothing can go wrong. This will put others on edge to always watch your children and insure they are following the rules to minimize risk.

Awesome post but I disagree with the last two sentences. Her father released the tape as a warning to other parents. That is a valuable service because most parents probably figure it is a controlled environment and nothing can go wrong. This will put others on edge to always watch your children and insure they are following the rules to minimize risk.

I understand wanting to warn other parents, though I would hope that most other parents would already realize the risks and that though they are usually friendly, Dolphins are still animals. Large animals. (we all know that even a cat, dog, goat etc might bite if you are feeding it)

I still don't think it was necessary to force the kid, while still hurt and upset, to show off her injuries because "It was important" and then plaster it online. I think that the footage of her being bitten would have been enough of a warning if they really felt it was important to warn other parents.

• Like 1

Dolphins are agressive towards each other in the wild. Many have bite marks and scratches on their bodies and fins. Naturally sooner or later one will take a nip at a human if they are in close contact.

It's the big friendly smile that fools us!

The animal's mouth shut around the girl's hand, pulling her toward the water and then, it let go.

Good thing she wasn't feeding the Killer Whales!

I see your point of forcing her to show her injuries now.

It seems it was simply going for what it thought was a fish. They are very intelligent, and when confined and seeing this everyday, they would associate the tray for holding fish, it just got a bit carried away. There was no aggression.

• Like 2

It seems it was simply going for what it thought was a fish. They are very intelligent, and when confined and seeing this everyday, they would associate the tray for holding fish, it just got a bit carried away. There was no aggression.

Still, the dolphin attacked an innocent child...it MUST pay the ultimate penalty!

Make it watch the movie Flipper 19 times in a row!

• Like 1

Still, the dolphin attacked an innocent child...it MUST pay the ultimate penalty!

Make it watch the movie Flipper 19 times in a row!

You're right, it must be done. And as much as i hate to say it, i agree the ultimate punishment should be applied... Someone find my VHS...

• Like 1

Parents seem like morons.

It's people like them that cause "do not eat" or "do not drink" on obvious things like bleach.

The sign is sufficient enough, it obviously states that for a reason. Why would it need to be explained, I thought it would be obvious.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly. The parents are the ones who should be blamed for this happening. When you are told specific rules and then ignore them, then, it is your responsibility for anything wrong that may happen. Poor kid, but, really, the parents should have been watching. Passing the blame on to hide their own lack of common sense just makes them look sillier IMO.