Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euthanasia

ZaraKitty

Hello UM, I would like to hear your opinions for and against legal euthanasia in extreme cases, e.g terminal illness or where the human may no longer use their body or something that makes them want to die.

Personally, I'm all for assisted suicide for the ones who need it. I would rather take a pill to die if I had terminal cancer than die slowly in agony for weeks.

• Like 2

I tend to agree, that if someone wants to end it, and has a actual reason, other then "I'm depressed", or "My boyfriend left", it should be allowed.

I think they should be allowed to die, especially If there suffering, sometimes DEATH is better

As long as it is not forced on somebody else but out of one's own personal choice then feel free(But be sure to keep the mess to a minimum please). The whole a fate worse then death comes to mind.

I also agree.

Especially in the case of a terminal illness associated with a LOT of pain(I've known several who truly suffered an agonizing death from various terminal cancers that totally put them in horrible pain.) Even prescribed morphine provided little relief.

I also know of one personal friend( a women) who had terminal throat cancer, and even with very high doses of morphine, her brother said that she screamed(as best she could) from unbearable pain just before she died.

Edited by pallidin

It's a very difficult topic.

Ppl discussing it usually also forget the other side of the problem: Who is going to execute the euthanasia and how will this person cope with this event? It can be extremely traumatic for a physician to have offered this "service". Psychological guidance has to be available for her/him also.

Doctors take the oath to do anything but kill ppl, euthanasia goes against what they stand for. Except for putting a stop to suffering of course. But how do you constitute suffering and how can you draw the line. Can a physician or patient ever be absolutely sure that if they allow the person to die that a medicine won't be discovered that same week? How do you deal with that uncertainty?

It's opening a floodgate, if someone is allowed to die because the suffering is simply inhumane...then what about a teenager who is being bullied to a severe degree and doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know most ppl can see this is not the same degree, but for the law and for the ppl experiencing it is a very real question that then needs to be addressed.

It's a very difficult topic.

... Except for putting a stop to suffering of course...

Truly, it is a difficult topic. I do agree.

All I know is what I have seen or been made aware of through friends.

You mentioned the possibilty of holding-on for a few weeks(or months) in the hope of a new cure.

This simply does not happen with stage 4 terminal patients. They don't usually have that much time.

EDIT: I'm not talking about stage1-2, which can "sometimes" be very successfully treated.

Early diagnosis is key.

Edited by pallidin

I would like to add:

As far as "morality goes, if I had both my legs blown-off, my lungs punctured by bullets, and half my brain blown apart, and I was screaming in pain, I would hope my "friends" would be compassionate enough to put a bullet in what's left of my head so that I would not suffer anymore.

Edited by pallidin

The idea of letting somebody die a slow lingering death when they want to end it quickly and people not giving in to that wish sickens me. I could do it easily. I'd do it for you Pallidin. I honestly think it takes a weak and selfish person not to.

Doesn't the modern Hippocratic Oath even mention that they might have to take a life?

• Like 1

The idea of letting somebody die a slow lingering death when they want to end it quickly and people not giving in to that wish sickens me. I could do it easily. I'd do it for you Pallidin. I honestly think it takes a weak and selfish person not to.

Doesn't the modern Hippocratic Oath even mention that they might have to take a life?

Thank you. I hope you can be there if the need arises for me. :yes:

We put animals out of their misery. If it's your wish that you die with some dignity and a doctor agrees to help you, what's the problem?

• Like 2

I'm all for euthanasia, suicide or whatever someone wants to do with their life. I have an illness which causes me great pain and misery some days and I feel in my heart that when it gets too much to cope with and I feel like a burden, I will do something about it, assisted or not. I'm really ok with that. Life is about quality not quantity surely?

• Like 2

I would do it in a heartbeat...

Providing I get consent from the person suffering.

Dogs,cats and other domestic pets get put to sleep at the vets.

Horses get shot after breaking their legs after a bad tumble.

^^^ This is considered humane to put the animal out of it's misery.

You can easily transfer this logic to humans.

However it's considered taboo to even think about it.

Btw if I was the one in agony I will tell somebody to pass the pills and the absinthe.

If they carry out my order that's entirely up to them if they can live with the consequences.

• Like 1

I agree for the right cases.

I just do not trust government and doctors enough to discern a reasonable case from a stupid one.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 1

I agree for the right cases.

I just do not trust government and doctors enough to discern a reasonable case from a stupid one.

That is an important point.

There have been many suicide cases which could have easily been avoided through proper meds.

Saying that, I understand the hesitancy with regards to psychotrophic meds. The fear of being a "drugged-out zombie"

I fought for several years, refusing those meds, then had to go through mental hell until I finally got on the right stuff(for me)

It's different for different people of course, and I'm not a zombie.

Good doctor I guess.

EDIT: I would like to add that not all requested euthanasia is appropriate for the reasons I described above.

However, for clinicaly terminal individuals, having a clear and indisputable terminal condition, AND with severe pain, I do support the idea.

Edited by pallidin

Whenever I hear about euthanasia It always brings to mind Jack Kevorkian and all the crap he had to go through just to give people there rightful end,

People should have the right to end their own lives whenever they choose. Plain and simple. No laws should be in place saying otherwise.

• Like 2

People should have the right to end their own lives whenever they choose. Plain and simple. No laws should be in place saying otherwise.

What about someone going through a depressive episode?

As for those who conduct euthanasia, ending someone's pain and suffering wouldn't be so bad. Rather humbling I think. You'd be helping them out, this is something people conducting euthanasia just need to understand.

I mean, I can't possibly understand what it would be to take someone's life regardless but you're setting them free.

What about someone going through a depressive episode?

There are always exceptions obviously however in the end if a person really wants to die, they will find a way to do so. We cannot nor should not be so arrogant as to claim to "know" what another person is feeling or going through. Speculate and imagine, yes. Knowing for a fact, no.

• Like 1

There are always exceptions obviously however in the end if a person really wants to die, they will find a way to do so. We cannot nor should not be so arrogant as to claim to "know" what another person is feeling or going through. Speculate and imagine, yes. Knowing for a fact, no.

I know when people go through depressive suicidal episodes or the like they are going through a spur of the moment sort of thing. They don't actually want to die in the long run.

• Like 1

I know when people go through depressive suicidal episodes or the like they are going through a spur of the moment sort of thing. They don't actually want to die in the long run.

Yeah, I agree.

That's why I'm only for it in cases of clinically verified terminal illness(such as cancer) associated with a lot of pain.

EDIT: Now, if the pain could be knocked-out, that could be a different story. However, I know for a fact that even large doses of morphine often doesn't alleviate the progressively severe pain.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

About suicide though how far do you "help" them live? Tie them to the bed? Rip out part of their brains? Cut off their arms and legs? There is only so much "help" you can give somebody before you need to let it go.

You can't stop suicide but you can stop depression. Which is what suicide in the end is all about. Some people learn it before it happens to them(People who never suicide), some people just learn it after they fail(People who try and do not die), some people never learn it(The ones who die which are the only ones you can't "help").

I don't hate death what I do hate is suffering. Which is why I believe suicide must be a choice made on your own and assisted suicide has to be agreed to by both parties.

I also think the only reason is why suicide is written as illegal is because of how people suffer when somebody does it. (To prevent suffering funny isn't it). Problem is whose suffering do we refer to for the law? on which grounds (mental/physical/etc) do we follow it??

I don't hate death what I do hate is suffering. Which is why I believe suicide must be a choice made on your own and assisted suicide has to be agreed to by both parties.

:tu:

• 3 weeks later...