Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Binge-drinking gene' discovered

Still Waters

Scientists believe some people have a gene that hard-wires them for binge drinking by boosting levels of a happy brain chemical triggered by alcohol.

The gene - RASGRF-2 - is one of many already suggested to be linked with problem drinking, PNAS journal reports.

The King's College London team found animals lacking the gene had far less desire for alcohol than those with it.

Brain scans of 663 teenage boys showed those with a version of the gene had heightened dopamine responses in tests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-20583113

• Like 1

BS. Just an engineered excuse to encourage binge-drinking, more lawlessness.

Sophie Lancaster, literally got kicked to death because her culprits were, apparently, really happy due to binge-drinking.

Edited by Insaniac
  • Like 4

if genetics can change due to traumatic situations like child abuse, why is it assumed that people have already got this certain gene and havent aquired through drinking.

read the title so might have the wrong end of the stick lol but heres the reference to the child abuse thing.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238625

• Like 1

I haves this geeene and I neverr bann ... bungee ... bingeded drinked in my antire lifes. iN fact,,, I oly drink too slocolize solocize impress the ladys. and just cause I woked up next to heddless maniquin this morning is ileverant .

• Like 2

There has to be a reason some people become alcoholics when others that like to party don't and have no problem stopping.

This is what happens when scientists have too many late nights...

So what about people who like a drink who havn't got the gene?

Are they going to nurse a drink in the pub all evening?

If they said there was a '"teetotal" gene that would be more plausible.

Alcohol effects everybody and there's no exceptions.

Of course scientists could be studying every strand of "junk" DNA under the microscope.

Then jumping to some wild conclusions and assumptions.

Watch this space...

Edited by Walnut Whip

There has to be a reason some people become alcoholics when others that like to party don't and have no problem stopping.

maybe some peeps genetic makeup are less resistant to genetic change

"Binge drinking by boosting levels of a happy brain chemical triggered by alcohol."

If the above is true, apparently it boosts levels of "happy brain chemicals" so high that it often becomes dangerous, therefor bad for both the drinker and society in general. It's bad and sounds like a lame excuse to encourage lawlessness.

Like I said, it seems Sophie Lancasters attackers were so happy, they decided to viciously beat her.

Am guessing they got the name of the gene, 'Rasgrf2', from the way people talk after way too much alcohol.