Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photographer takes picture of man on tracks

Render

There is a sociology study that reveals that the more people that are present when another person is in need of help, the less likely people will not help.

• Like 1

Right.

Surely with only less than 1 minute, most of the bystanders(and the victim of course) likely could hear/see the train coming.

While one could certainly be labled a "hero" for saving that man's life(which obviously did not happen), I'm not so sure that I could blame the bystanders for not placing their own selves in a potentially lethal situation during a rescue attempt.

Let's keep in mind that many people were MUCH closer to the victim than the photographer.

I'm certainly not excusing anyone, I'm just saying it is the way society functions. It's screwed up.

You are more likely to get help the fewer people around.

My daughter just wrote a paper about it for her humanities class. Very interesting.

I'm certainly not excusing anyone, I'm just saying it is the way society functions. It's screwed up.

You are more likely to get help the fewer people around.

My daughter just wrote a paper about it for her humanities class. Very interesting.

I'd be interested in where she got those stats. It's been my personal experience that people will jump in there and help if someone else innitiates it.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in where she got those stats. It's been my personal experience that people will jump in there and help if someone else innitiates it.

But the more people around, the less likely someone is to initiate it. That's the point of the study, see what I mean? I'll ask her and see if it came from her book or where tho. :yes:

Wait, here you go, it's called the bystander effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Edited by coldethyl
  • Like 1

But the more people around, the less likely someone is to initiate it. That's the point of the study, see what I mean? I'll ask her and see if it came from her book or where tho. :yes:

Well, I've never been one to ask why isn't anyone doing anything. I'm more the one that jumps in and demands help if needed. So far, I haven't been disappointed. :tu:

• Like 1

Well, I've never been one to ask why isn't anyone doing anything. I'm more the one that jumps in and demands help if needed. So far, I haven't been disappointed. :tu:

Hope you got the link after my edit. It explains it better.

• Like 1

Hope you got the link after my edit. It explains it better.

Yeah, thanks...can't say I haven't been bitten in the butt under certain circumstances.

Maybe I should clarify...I saw a guy beating up his "girlfriend" outside of a bar. Needless to say, I responded as if she was a "victim". Well, she turned on me and defended the guy, claws and all... in a heartbeat. Ya know, I would do it again, but I have been a whole lot more cautious of her!

In that instance it bit me in the butt.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1