Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many alien civilizations are there ?

Saru

Just a thought- Perhaps alien civilisations are trying to contact us by telepathy which is instantaneous and breaks the light-speed barrier?

Furthermore perhaps humans have been picking up these alien telepathic communications for years, but the human mind is unable to process them properly.

Foe example suppose aliens broadcast this telepathic message into space "Hello, we are on another planet", and it's picked up by a human.

But instead of coming across loud and clear, it triggers hallucinations in the recipients mind and he thinks he's having a close encounter or abduction.

Drugs are bad Mkay.

What makes you feel telepathy is an option? As far as I know, it is entirely a science fiction concept with no basis in reality whatsoever. Plenty of hippies to argue otherwise I realise that, but when it comes down to hard evidence, no amount of duress torture, happiness or promise has managed to make such a sense surface, nor does it exist in nature that we are aware of.

Telepathy has about as much fact behind it as does the Voyages of the USS Enterprise - great story, but it's exactly that, a story.

And I take it your are assuming that telepathy does not use some sort of "wave function" but more "spooky action at a distance" I take it?

Edited by psyche101

I adopted Noelle after she'd been through some terrifying times and was the first safe haven she'd ever had. As a result, we were pretty much inseparable for the majority of the time we were together. Even now, that bond exists despite there being 3500 miles between us.

Gidday Mate

It warms the heart to hear you speak of her. Inspiring to hear such pure goodness still exists out there.

How'd it go? :-)

Really well thanks :D She is just glowing, had just been down to the local shopping centre and had her picky taken with her little boy, and a python wrapped over her shoulders! I sure was not expecting that, but the best visits are the unannounced ones, thanks for the inspiration mate.

I had two 4-pair Cat5 cables plus a fiber pair pulled to each major workstation. (Minor ones didn't get fiber.) At the same time, I made sure that there was provision to pull new cable (copper or fiber) in case that became inadequate. There was absolutely no POTS cabling anywhere. None at all. There were major budget battles along the way but overall I came out ahead with what I needed while conceding some points I could live without. (Of course, I never told anyone that part. ;-) )

Ahh, you kingdom for a fibre! Ever read the BOFH? Interesting It tales ;) Simon would have a suggestion on how to "acquire" fibre I am sure. Cat 5 is limited to 75 bps isn't it, you would have had your work cut out for you!

Always budget battles in IT! So much gets wasted on accountants insisting on the latest bloody WIndow's the day it comes out! Just to force the clients and colleagues to all upgrade! They do not see hardware so it does not exist, in fact, that last part sounds a bit like an echo in here LOL.

Yep. Kind of takes the idea of "Wizard War" (Ref: WW II) to a whole new level. :-D

:tu:

Dropped it? I think they buried it! "I believe they exist therefore they exist," seems to be the current trend of thought. This makes it all but a religion - maybe a cult? - which is a not good thing where skeptical inquiry is needed, even if it's by other believers who happen to believe a slightly different version. I know Boony swore off CTs - or at least 9/11 - and I finally gave up on that particular area.

:w00t: Put it better than I possibly could have. :tu:

Darn that Boon, getting a life and all!

I think I would agree, what we re seeing lately is reminiscent of a cult, that level of obedience to a certain ideal no matter what sensibilities confront their whacky promotions.

Your sig says it all, we need new cases & data. Batting around the old ones ad nauseum accomplishes nothing. But then, the "investigators" are basically FTBs looking for proof of their beliefs. Anything skeptics consider interesting is automatically written off as not being real. Ah, that's the ticket. Consider all the old cases as being of interest and they'll all go away. :-D

Cheers mate, it took me as very apt, and spending much time in here as I tend to, it seemed rather appropriate. The old cases are interesting, but more from a military point of view. There was so much going on I still struggle to fathom half of it. Thos directors Lost Shaman pointed out during the BOLA discussion were really far more sophisticated than I would have imagined for the time frame. We still have our Demons, Portage County, and as you mention, Lonnie Zamora, these perplexing conundrums will outlive us both I feel but all the same, it's enjoyable to stretch the grey matter about maybes in the meantime, but yes, with a fresh approach. I think we have outlived our modern Gods of the sky, and it is time to confront them.

I wish I could see Noelle ... *sigh* ... Hope it went well ... :-)

Cheers, old friend

My wish is that your wait is short. I am spoiled with a mere half hour drive.

All the best my friend.

Unfortunately I am flat out oversubscribed these day and simply have no time to engage, although I miss the debates here a lot. I do, however, pop in every day to follow what is going on, but sadly I cannot afford the time to post very much. Hopefully in February things will turn out to the better.

Gidday Mate

I know where you are coming from, my contributions have been rather sporadic of late as well, but always good to see you, and hope the new year see's you in well. I have rather hit the ground running myself. I am also a glutton for punishment it seems :D.

I must admit that I miss Sky. At least he put in a good effort and truly argued for his position. And there were real data points to research and argue. Discussing stacking rocks is just...absurd. I think TV is really rotting some people's brain.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Indeed, it feels good to be able to offer the man praise, in so many passionate debates we became quite heated, yet he always held his tongue and maintained the mark of a gentleman. Todays nonsense is nothing short of childish by comparison to the level Sky pushed a debate to. He made a debate interesting, todays debates are the same question for tens of pages.

I must say, he was 100% right about Red Tails, a very good movie. The man keeps some impressive company. If there is a UM hall of fame, he deserves a place in it.

I miss Sky, but am happy to see he is in his new niche, and comfortable. I kind of hope he does not come back, because he has become something of a legend, and Indeed I agree, he was ten times the man when it comes to the current silly debates such as how did man mange to pile rocks up. Todays "believers"** truly pale by comparison. Sky was a military man, and as such commanded respect. I sort of hope the legend lives on, as I fear he might have some trouble living up to the shoes he left. For sure, not a debater has come close to filling them. Long Live Skyeagle409.

Hey Psyche,

Happy New Year mate!! hope you all had a lovely time.

(yes me and the Quilliuses all did, many thanks :tu: )

with regards to Sky not returning, although I see your point I still think it would be great to have McG and Sky on the same thread arguing the cases......dont you think?

Hey Psyche,

Happy New Year mate!! hope you all had a lovely time.

(yes me and the Quilliuses all did, many thanks :tu: )

with regards to Sky not returning, although I see your point I still think it would be great to have McG and Sky on the same thread arguing the cases......dont you think?

Cheers mate

Up and down, lost a mate over the break, that was sad, but he was a fighter, and did well, and inspiration to us all right to the end. Always good to see the kids in daylight hours too :D

Indeed, I would welcome the old bird back, it just seems sometimes legends can become larger than life, heck, I am singing his praises! I'd hate to see a slip up, or something happen, and the legend lose some status. People are usually remembered for the last bad thing they did, not good, Sky has managed just the opposite, he was not Superman, but a great and passionate debater all the same and walked with his head held high, and with everyones deep respect. I'd like him remembered as the man even the skeptics missed. I think few can make such a claim.

But as you say, all the same, it would be great to have a real "believer" back, the current batch would be tripping over their jaws. It would also be a little stomach turning to watch some of the more cretinous attempt to steal any victory he has as their own.

You know what they always say when meeting a legend.

I thought you would be bigger?

Either way, I am good. Like you say, it's good and bad imagining both options.

*Quillius exemption to the current set of believers/discussion continues to apply :D

​Mate, you do a good job of stepping in with a whole new set of boots as opposed to filling old ones. We just need a couple more of you. Every considered becoming Raelllian? (They claim to clone, amongst other things) You are the new way my sig says we need. A new approach for a new frontier. Sky is a heavily experienced man, and we all deserve him a salute for his fine service to our way of life, he will remain a legend, but that new direction is what will take us from the dark ages. Thinking outside the box, challenging the parameters. The time for guessing is gone, the time for Gods in the sky is gone. Your approach will continue to earn the respect of the skeptical crowd, and it is restoring credibility to a subject that has suffered great blows from the credulous. It is fair and honest, and most of all, confronting. As long as people like you push the hard questions, I think the phenomena has a chance of crawling out of this hole it has languished in for so very long.

Your direction will see that tin foil hat come of forever. I am confident of it. I think you are one of the most important posters to happen to this forum for a long time. You have picked up a torch that has burned so many us us, and are wielding it in a way that we all can admire. You bridged a gap many do not dare, and one most do not even realise exists. As far as this subject goes, I think one could not do better than to approach your good self about it. Just quietly, I think some legends would have a hard time keeping up with you, even Skeptical Ed, whom I had the pleasure of meeting before his departure from the forum. You have never refused good evidence, you have never taken the fringe approach, you have always asked fair and honest questions. I honestly fail to recognise how any single poster could possibly ask for more.

Preferably one should approach you in the opposite direction! :w00t: I think some of our best discussions have been "head on".

Good times, bad times, but also new times.

Cheers mate

Up and down, lost a mate over the break, that was sad, but he was a fighter, and did well, and inspiration to us all right to the end. Always good to see the kids in daylight hours too :D

Indeed, I would welcome the old bird back, it just seems sometimes legends can become larger than life, heck, I am singing his praises! I'd hate to see a slip up, or something happen, and the legend lose some status. People are usually remembered for the last bad thing they did, not good, Sky has managed just the opposite, he was not Superman, but a great and passionate debater all the same and walked with his head held high, and with everyones deep respect. I'd like him remembered as the man even the skeptics missed. I think few can make such a claim.

But as you say, all the same, it would be great to have a real "believer" back, the current batch would be tripping over their jaws. It would also be a little stomach turning to watch some of the more cretinous attempt to steal any victory he has as their own.

You know what they always say when meeting a legend.

I thought you would be bigger?

Either way, I am good. Like you say, it's good and bad imagining both options.

*Quillius exemption to the current set of believers/discussion continues to apply :D

​Mate, you do a good job of stepping in with a whole new set of boots as opposed to filling old ones. We just need a couple more of you. Every considered becoming Raelllian? (They claim to clone, amongst other things) You are the new way my sig says we need. A new approach for a new frontier. Sky is a heavily experienced man, and we all deserve him a salute for his fine service to our way of life, he will remain a legend, but that new direction is what will take us from the dark ages. Thinking outside the box, challenging the parameters. The time for guessing is gone, the time for Gods in the sky is gone. Your approach will continue to earn the respect of the skeptical crowd, and it is restoring credibility to a subject that has suffered great blows from the credulous. It is fair and honest, and most of all, confronting. As long as people like you push the hard questions, I think the phenomena has a chance of crawling out of this hole it has languished in for so very long.

Your direction will see that tin foil hat come of forever. I am confident of it. I think you are one of the most important posters to happen to this forum for a long time. You have picked up a torch that has burned so many us us, and are wielding it in a way that we all can admire. You bridged a gap many do not dare, and one most do not even realise exists. As far as this subject goes, I think one could not do better than to approach your good self about it. Just quietly, I think some legends would have a hard time keeping up with you, even Skeptical Ed, whom I had the pleasure of meeting before his departure from the forum. You have never refused good evidence, you have never taken the fringe approach, you have always asked fair and honest questions. I honestly fail to recognise how any single poster could possibly ask for more.

Preferably one should approach you in the opposite direction! :w00t: I think some of our best discussions have been "head on".

Good times, bad times, but also new times.

I am really sorry to hear about your loss Psyche, it certainly keeps perspective in tune and ensures we remember to value the time we have.

and yes couldnt agree more about daylight time with the little ones :yes::tsu:

As for the rest of your post I am really flattered and humbled Psyche with all those kind words. Do remember though, the dance required two not one participant.....and I can only wish to have the knowledge you have across so many subjects.

I fully agree that our best discussions were indeed head on and shows how well both sides can work with mutual respect in hand.

I have spent quite a bit more time lately researching my old two favourites...Pascagoula and Portage County. May fire up Portage again soon, I really need to know more about the abondoned car and exactly when 'seven steps of hell' angle was first introduced. Basically trying to investigate the abondoned car some more and also revisiting the photo.

See you over there soon mate

:tu:

Gidday Mate

Good afternoon. Minor monsoon this AM which took the power out here for some 7 hours. Made going to my psychonanny appointment a bit entertaining since traffic lights weren't functioning at very busy intersections.

It warms the heart to hear you speak of her. Inspiring to hear such pure goodness still exists out there.

I don't know that I do anything special. I feel that I'm doing what any parent should, taking care of my little girl. We are close though and always have been.

Really well thanks :D She is just glowing, had just been down to the local shopping centre and had her picky taken with her little boy, and a python wrapped over her shoulders! I sure was not expecting that, but the best visits are the unannounced ones, thanks for the inspiration mate.

Always a pleasure. I'm going with the idea that said python was well fed and not too excited about making either of them into a meal. :-)

Ahh, you kingdom for a fibre! Ever read the BOFH? Interesting It tales ;) Simon would have a suggestion on how to "acquire" fibre I am sure.

Simon is my hero, doncha know. :-)

Cat 5 is limited to 75 bps isn't it, you would have had your work cut out for you!

Heck, Cat3 can do 10/100 when the wind's right and Cat5 loafs there. Cat5's been tested with 100/1000 Ethernet and operated flawlessly. It does take some precautions to make it work that fast but the capability's there and some nets are running it that way. Cat5E and Cat6, neither of which were on the horizon when the original pulls were made, are improvements on basic Cat5 and both are quite comfortable with 100/1000 Ethernet. Cat5 and up are quite happy with about anything you can throw at them including video.

Always budget battles in IT! So much gets wasted on accountants insisting on the latest bloody WIndow's the day it comes out! Just to force the clients and colleagues to all upgrade! They do not see hardware so it does not exist, in fact, that last part sounds a bit like an echo in here LOL.

The closest they come to seeing the hardware is the PC in front of them and it somehow is magically different from everyone else's. Win95 was still a dot on the horizon - and an ill-defined one at that - when I left the college (Kinda makes me feel ancient, now that I think about it. :-/) but the concept was still very much in evidence. OTOH, we had folks arguing for Arcnet vs Ethernet since we had an installed base already. Well, yeah. We did. But that was because Arcnet was available before Ethernet at our price level initially but Ethernet was dropping in price rapidly. Gotta love accountants who live in yesterday.

Darn that Boon, getting a life and all!

Yeah, something Simply Must Be Done about that. We can't have members of the team going off and doing stuff like that. ;-)

I think I would agree, what we re seeing lately is reminiscent of a cult, that level of obedience to a certain ideal no matter what sensibilities confront their whacky promotions.

It occurs to me that a number of the folks involved came up on X-Files et al and it stuck in their heads as a documentary or something. The assorted UFO et al "reality" shows don't help one bit. And, of course, YouTube is a great contributor to the expansion of that group. (Ref: Your sig.) "I saw it on (television|the internet) so it must be true," seems to be a major portion of the belief set. That's frightening.

Cheers mate, it took me as very apt, and spending much time in here as I tend to, it seemed rather appropriate. The old cases are interesting, but more from a military point of view. There was so much going on I still struggle to fathom half of it. Thos directors Lost Shaman pointed out during the BOLA discussion were really far more sophisticated than I would have imagined for the time frame. We still have our Demons, Portage County, and as you mention, Lonnie Zamora, these perplexing conundrums will outlive us both I feel but all the same, it's enjoyable to stretch the grey matter about maybes in the meantime, but yes, with a fresh approach. I think we have outlived our modern Gods of the sky, and it is time to confront them.

*nod* ... agreed. I have my own theories about the Battle of LA but unfortunately it's theories and not a single theory, and they tend to be in conflict among themselves. There are a few others like Portage County and Lonnie Z but only a very few. The rest are either explainable by mundane phenomena including hoaxes or never will be fully explained yet have been beaten to death like Roswell. Hmmm ... Roswell begat the assorted Groom Lake & Wright-Patt conspiracy theories, in a way. How cool is that, a 1940s event "uncovered" around 1980 starting all kinds of CTs with no tangible evidence whatsoever.

My wish is that your wait is short. I am spoiled with a mere half hour drive.

One critical factor is that she doesn't want Daddy to see her as she is now but rather wants me to remember the lovely, lively and active lady she was. I can understand where she's coming from but she hasn't quite figured out it doesn't matter to me. She's still my little girl no matter what.

All the best my friend.

And to you as well.

• Like 1

Your direction will see that tin foil hat come of forever.

Dammit, I just bought a new one, custom made even! We can't do away with them yet!

Dammit, I just bought a new one, custom made even! We can't do away with them yet!

Well I guess there's more than one way to turn heads than just being handsome I suppose... :lol:

BTW: it's good to see you around the forums again Kludge, I always get a smile or some smarts from your posts...sometimes both. :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate

Well I guess there's more than one way to turn heads than just being handsome I suppose... :lol:

Well, with my dashing good looks, I don't need to make a fashion statement but I didn't want a plain off-the-rack tin foil helmet either. :-D

BTW: it's good to see you around the forums again Kludge, I always get a smile or some smarts from your posts...sometimes both. :tu:

Thanks. I'll be in and out since I have some projects going on that require my attention but it's all good and I'll be on board as much as possible. Of course, one can never tell where I'll pop up next. Bwaaahahaha ...

• Like 2