Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Every bomb dropped on London during The Blitz

Still Waters

If you've ever wondered how close London’s landmarks came to being blown up in the Blitz, a new interactive map has the answer.

The Bomb Sight project allows people to zoom in on a map of the capital to see the damage inflicted during the heaviest period of bombing by German planes.

It was created by a collaboration between Dr Catherine Jones of the University of Portsmouth and the The National Archives, and funded by the charity JISC.

http://www.dailymail...ndon-Blitz.html

• Like 1

... While for Hiroshima, they'd need just one.

That's progress, in just five years.

And now the one dropped on Hiroshima wouldn't compare to the ones we have today.

And now the one dropped on Hiroshima wouldn't compare to the ones we have today.

Actually, the biggest nuke on record (50 MT) was exploded in 1961; the ones we have today are quite modest by comparison. Not that they wouldn't (God forbid!) do the job.

*jaw hanging*

I never had any idea,it was ......this bad . Unreal .

*jaw hanging*

I never had any idea,it was ......this bad . Unreal .

Worst. Birtish suffer realy heavy bombing. Then british start to bomb German historical sites then Hitler British historical sites.

Then came bombing of Dresden.

Actually, the biggest nuke on record (50 MT) was exploded in 1961; the ones we have today are quite modest by comparison. Not that they wouldn't (God forbid!) do the job.

1.5 MT is your average one today.

Detonated as a airbust weapon above London it will incinerate every burnable thing (including flesh) out to about 12 miles. Few Londoners would be left alive.

Worst. Birtish suffer realy heavy bombing. Then british start to bomb German historical sites then Hitler British historical sites.

Then came bombing of Dresden.

What we did to Berlin was impressive.

I went there in the 80s and they were still rebuilding it. We bombed it to complete rubble. (soz German members we're all friends now).

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I went there in the 80s and they were still rebuilding it. We bombed it to complete rubble. (soz German members we're all friends now).

You dont need to apologize to German members. They were deluded by only party in country. Nazist killed all their political opponenets in Germany. Germans were beheaded.

Therefore Nazists were Germans but Germans were not Nazists.

BTW Dresden in my eyes is war crime.

Im also against use of Nuclear weapon on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Edit: Impressive is kind hursh word but then again my russian/japanesee English is probably worst then any member on UM. So, who m I to judge?

Edited by the L

The Russians contributed quite a bit as well.

Politicians should stick to politics and let the generals fight the wars.

the generals always have to fight the wars because of the politcians. Of course, that doesn't mean that if there were no politicians, there'd be no wars, since left to themselves, Generals (or colonels, like our lamented friend Mr. Gadaffi) tend to have ahabit of deciding to become politicians themselves..

• Like 1

The Russians contributed quite a bit as well.

East front was main German front. Any student of history knows that. Same as China was main Japanese front. Around 80% of Japanese soldiers were in China.

You have to ask yourself how did the Nazists loose?

Russian winter/Soviet manpower

Loss of air superiority after the Battle of Britain

Entry of US in 1942

Hitler's failure to heed his Generals (In particular Rommel, Guderian and von Manstein, and relying too much on the likes of Goering, Keitl and Dietrich)

Lack of raw materials (especially oil) after the failure to occupy the Caucasus

There are more, but IMO those are some of the main ones.

• Like 1

Russian winter/Soviet manpower

Loss of air superiority after the Battle of Britain

Entry of US in 1942

Hitler's failure to heed his Generals (In particular Rommel, Guderian and von Manstein, and relying too much on the likes of Goering, Keitl and Dietrich)

Lack of raw materials (especially oil) after the failure to occupy the Caucasus

There are more, but IMO those are some of the main ones.

Thats what offical history tell us. Personally I think that Rommel (when you mentioned him) is unbelivebly amazing figure. I hope that one day we will see movie about him.

All you mentioned plus many other complex factors. I like to think that Soviets can be thankfull to have had Zhukov which brilliance put dot on "i" on east front (Russian west). The death of Mr.56 took genious from Pacific front.

Then you have other side of medal story. German side. Japan side. Which is different then ours. Ofcourse they teach in school same as we because they must. But among people there are all kind of stories.

• Like 1

Rommel movie (It's a bit old, but quite accurate)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043461/

One of the most basic mistakes that the invading Germans committed, was the treatment of the inhabitants of some of the countries they conquered. In many lands, (especially the Baltic states, southern Russia etc.) the Germans were welcomed by many as liberators from Communism. Had they been treated better, they may well have served as an effective buffer against advancing Soviet troops after Stalingrad (a major turning point in the war IMO)

You are correct though, there were many and complex reasons for the outcome of WWII.

Rommel movie (It's a bit old, but quite accurate)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043461/

One of the most basic mistakes that the invading Germans committed, was the treatment of the inhabitants of some of the countries they conquered. In many lands, (especially the Baltic states, southern Russia etc.) the Germans were welcomed by many as liberators from Communism. Had they been treated better, they may well have served as an effective buffer against advancing Soviet troops after Stalingrad (a major turning point in the war IMO)

You are correct though, there were many and complex reasons for the outcome of WWII.

Thanks mate. I didnt new about movie.

I believe that Germany did loose a war and German people. But that Nazists didnt loose war at all. I think it was a deal they all get away in south America.

Edited by the L

My grandfather was a young boy during the War and he remembers looking out of the window at home and seeing an eerie orange glow in the night sky along the horizon.

It was Manchester ablaze.

For some reason he was never evacuated to the relative safety of the countryside like millions of other British children and like two of my other grandparents.

zzz8129c_mcr_blitz_piccadil_450x180.jpg

Manchester's Piccadilly ablaze on the night of 22nd/23rd December 1940.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun