Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sex change operation ,for a cat

Simbi Laveau

http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2012/12/05/aussie-cat-has-sex-change-surgery/

A male cat underwent a sex change operation ,to save his life. He was prone to bladder stones ,and the last one,would have cost him his life ,so they opted for the 1500$ sex change .

He is recovering .

The operation ,as far as I know,is unheard of in the USA ,but its becoming popular elsewhere .

• Like 3

Ha ha ha now that's what I'm talking about. :w00t:

The title gave me a little bit of concern at first haha. But really I would do next to anything to save a pet from death.

• Like 2

Well male cats have far more urinary issues ,than female. Things like high ash content in food,or uric acid problems ,can kill them .

I'm guessing it won't change the cats personality much,except maybe make it more mellow ?

I would do it for one of my cats,in a heartbeat .

• Like 1

As long as he's.. I mean She's... Happy. lol

It's kinda funny though, but should it really be called a sex change? I mean it's not exactly the point of the OP is it? lol

Well that's how they titled the article .

I guess they remove the penis,prostate ,and reconstruct the urethra ,so ....the cat is more female than male now.

I'm sure he's thinking ,"I don't feel any different pa"

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Actually, this isn't really a 'sex change'...more like they simply restructured the cat's urinary tract. If "he" was neutered before the operation I doubt the cat noticed any change to "she" status. Probably just happy to be able to use the sand box without pain.

Actually, this isn't really a 'sex change'...more like they simply restructured the cat's urinary tract. If "he" was neutered before the operation I doubt the cat noticed any change to "she" status. Probably just happy to be able to use the sand box without pain.

I'm not sure. I don't know if the prostate secretes anything post neutering .As only the testicles are removed in neutering .

Let me see if I can figure out what the surgery entails ,that would make it be worded as a sex change ,other than the penis is removed ?

I assume that has to be done,so there's less urethra to be clogged up .

Well, this isn't as bad as I thought it was. S'long as it isn't cause you think your cat would lounge better in a sunbeam as the opposite gender.

• Like 1

Ok,there are some photos of the surgery,but they are not too bad .

Dont look if you are squeamish

It is essentially removal of the entire penis .

They call is sex reassignment,because the penis is gone .

This is actually a veterinarians blog ,and he calls it sex reassignment.

It's just the terminology used for the proceedure .

http://thecatvet.blogspot.com/2007/02/sex-reassignment-surgery.html

I had to do that to one on my males. He almost died from a kidney stone. He was the same didn't bother him a bit. I was the one that almost had the heart attack after I got the vet bill.