Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU clamps down on tax avoidance

Render

The European Commission has announced a series of proposals designed to tackle the "scandalous loss of much-needed revenue" EU members suffer through tax evasion and tax avoidance.

These include a tougher stance on tax havens and ways to close loopholes.

Some big companies take advantage of these loopholes to avoid paying millions of euros in tax.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20627280

• Like 1

If there are loopholes why not take advantage of it. I think it is better to close the loopholes than raise taxes on those less able to pay them.ColorChangingFlower.gif

My God, they've got a nerve! Whining about "much-needed revenue" when billions are being wasted throughout the EU through mismanagement, funding dodgy schemes and lifestyles the rest of can only dream about! Can anybody remember when their accountants last 'signed off' the EU budget?

Somebody show us the exit!

• Like 3

The Whole concept of the EEC clamping down on something is somewhat laughable but if it suits them they will do it,definately time for the UK to look for the Exit because the Clowns are running the Circus...

• Like 1

Tax not 'voluntary', Alexander tells firms

Danny Alexander has told multinational firms that paying tax is an obligation, not "a voluntary choice" they can make to please their customers.

The chief secretary to the Treasury was speaking in regard to Starbucks, which last week said it would voluntarily pay more UK corporation tax.

Mr Alexander told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that the government was continuing efforts to tackle tax avoidance.

He said this work was taking place both in the UK and abroad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-20657312

Edited by Render

If it is Legal NOT to pay Tax then what is the problem???

That only some get the benefit of not paying. If your earnings are too small you pay every penny without breaks

That only some get the benefit of not paying. If your earnings are too small you pay every penny without breaks

Then the problem lies not with Legal non - payment, but with the system that allows it.

Then the problem lies not with Legal non - payment, but with the system that allows it.

Which is exactly what they want to "clamp" down on.

Then "Clamp down" is possibly the wrong term to use as it pre-supposes manipulation of a system that is illegal.

But I get your point, and agree with it. Introduce new Legislation to close these loopholes, you would not believe the amount of tax and Social Security that I have to pay (and yes, I pay it) for myself and my employees. Give all of us SME's a 1 month moratorium each year, on paying these taxes and you would a huge increase in employment