Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question for paranormal investigators

outsider39

If you are currently doing paranormal investigations,would you let scientists accompany you on your investigations? If you believe that ghosts exist,surely you would not mind someone in the scientific community going with you on your investigations.Funny I never see any scientists on " Ghost Hunters " or " Ghost Adventures ". Maybe there are no scientists out there who want to get involved in paranormal investigations.Does anyone know of any scientists out there who would like to do a study using the most up to date scientific methods to see if ghosts really can be proved to exist or not?Just curious.

• Like 3

I think the lack of investigation by scientists in this field is because how do you investigate the afterlife. I have seen a ghost so I don't need any more proof than that. How you would convince someone that has never seen one I don't know because so much can be faked. SleepingSeesGhostSmiley.gif

No scientist worthy of the description would go on a conventional ghost investigation, because the 'methods' used are totally un-scientific and likely to interfere with those that a scientist would want to use.

What methods would a scientists use that we wouldent want to use.?

TheyWould you like to explained to me how you would have a control in theses situations as well as being able to test and retest. A spirit? There not predictable and they don't preform on que

• Like 1

The problem with trying to bring a scientist in is that spirits can't be tested in a lab. So any experiments done are going to have flaws. Plus, ghosts are still human beings. Bringing a person into a laboratory will skew results, because people change their behavior when they're observed. So paranormal investigation, in my opinion, should be treated more like a social science.

• Like 1

if you have had experiences with spirits... then you dont need any of this crap... the spirit world EXITS !!! I cannot believe how many dumb arses there are in this world, "if it doesnt smack em in the face, and they cant see it... then it doesnt exist" Phew !!!

Trying to recall the TV series, but Professor Chris French accompanied the usual investigator types at alleged UK paranormal locations. He didn't see/hear/perceive/experience any of the things the investigators were claiming, ie movements, noises, touches, chills etc - and which were not backed up with detection instruments.

This isn't an exact science due to the nature of it. All we can do is continue to try new ways of getting evidence. And learn better techniques for using the equipment.

One thing that bothers me is most serous hunters are not trying to fake anything.

there spending there time and hard earned money just to get this evidence.

we spend hours and hours going over evidence, Researching places , the trying to learn the limitations of the equipment. How many skeptics have thought about these tthings?

You're looking at it backwards. You can't go in presuming that ghosts exist. You ought to apply the null hypothesis. Listen to the claims, create a hypothesis involving natural explanations, then test those. afterward, share your results instead of declaring something paranormal/ unexplainable just because YOU couldn't figure it out.

And when there aren't any natural explanations? Please explain a shadow in the middle of the room in mid air. And pictures being tossed down the hallway.

• Like 1

You can't go into an investigation knowing they exist?? Then you leave the paranormal investigations to beginners? After you have seen way too many things that can't be explained by anything else. You know

And when there aren't any natural explanations? Please explain a shadow in the middle of the room in mid air. And pictures being tossed down the hallway.

Who are you to say there aren't any natural explanations? How could you possibly think that?

You can't go into an investigation knowing they exist?? Then you leave the paranormal investigations to beginners? After you have seen way too many things that can't be explained by anything else. You know

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

There you go again, claiming that things Can NOT be explained, yet you make the argument from ignorance, saying that their paranormal. First, I don't think you can make the claim that they cannot be explained. second, by saying that it's paranormal, you, in turn, are giving it an explanation!

It's certainly safe to say that there are no known natural explanations for these paranormal phenomena. However that in of itself is entirely unscientific. If you were to go about it scientifically, you would attempt to rationalize and find the truth behind these phenomena. Saying that it's caused by the souls of the deceased is no more than an assumption that connot be proven scientifically. After all, the very essence of science is to explain the unexplained, which cannot be done here. All that is done with paranormal investigating is gathering evidence of the unexplained, which is then explained by the majority of investigators simply through assumptions and belief.

Essentially what I'm getting at is, the only benefit of bringing along a scientist would be to open their minds and make them aware that these phenomena are in fact real, since the overall scientific community currently accepts it all as faked or naturally caused. It is true that scientists just laugh off the subject and never even try to give it any true merit, but even if you open up the minds of scientists, it still would prove nothing since this subject cannot be proven at all scientifically. All that can be proven is that unexplained supernatural events do in fact occur, but will remain unexplained. It simply isn't scientific.

It's certainly safe to say that there are no known natural explanations for these paranormal phenomena. However that in of itself is entirely unscientific. If you were to go about it scientifically, you would attempt to rationalize and find the truth behind these phenomena. Saying that it's caused by the souls of the deceased is no more than an assumption that connot be proven scientifically. After all, the very essence of science is to explain the unexplained, which cannot be done here. All that is done with paranormal investigating is gathering evidence of the unexplained, which is then explained by the majority of investigators simply through assumptions and belief.

Essentially what I'm getting at is, the only benefit of bringing along a scientist would be to open their minds and make them aware that these phenomena are in fact real, since the overall scientific community currently accepts it all as faked or naturally caused. It is true that scientists just laugh off the subject and never even try to give it any true merit, but even if you open up the minds of scientists, it still would prove nothing since this subject cannot be proven at all scientifically. All that can be proven is that unexplained supernatural events do in fact occur, but will remain unexplained. It simply isn't scientific.

That's a lot of certainty. How can you say any of that for sure?

Orbs are explained naturally and with certainty but not many accept it.

A lot can't accept natural explanations like psychological issues either. (which can explain things being thrown, scratches, seeing things etc.)

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

K really you guys are in the gray area. What we do is not a science, even science is all theory. Hell, we all could be in a giant computer being controlled by dolphins playing a bad prank on us and no one would every really know.

I have an investigator in my group who has never had anything happen to him and he's a scientist. You should have someone who can think outside of the ghost box because some investigators get too set up on "it" being a ghost.

• Like 1

I'm an extreme skeptic and I could never understand the thought that if something from 'beyond' is able to affect this reality (or whatever you wish to call it) there should be at the very least a set of simple tests that can be repeated over an extended period of time to show that something is or isn't happening. Leave out the tests that cannot be proven themselves (psychics, ouija or any other sort of divination devices). Even if you cannot repeat a paranormal event doing this would hopefully rule out prosaic causes. I used to work with someone who was into the ghost hunting scene and I recommended he read the skeptics dictionary, not to ridicule but to give him the ideals to eliminate the uncertainty that goes along with the current methods that seem so popular and do explain some things that when left unlearned seem inexplicable. Just my 2cents.

• 1 month later...

For real stop the craziness of always wanting something to be explained. I know plenty of haunted spots with major activity you can come and explain since you want o explain so much and tell people their stupid for saying something is paranormal and can be explained.Everythig in this world has not been explained and you will probably never get the answer's your looking for untill your dead. Man cannot give the answer's to everything so lean back, scientist or not.If I'm in a house and pictures suddenly get snatched from my hands all the way to the next room what am I stupid!? No I think not it had to be paranormal and especially when no windows were open in the house yea whatever be skeptical all day that's your thing.I know all things aren't paranormal but certain things and situations there is no explanation but if you experienced it then your skeptical curiosity will change.

Edited by slaughtr

For real stop the craziness of always wanting something to be explained. I know plenty of haunted spots with major activity you can come and explain since you want o explain so much and tell people their stupid for saying something is paranormal and can be explained.Everythig in this world has not been explained and you will probably never get the answer's your looking for untill your dead. Man cannot give the answer's to everything so lean back, scientist or not.If I'm in a house and pictures suddenly get snatched from my hands all the way to the next room what am I stupid!? No I think not it had to be paranormal and especially when no windows were open in the house yea whatever be skeptical all day that's your thing.I know all things aren't paranormal but certain things and situations there is no explanation but if you experienced it then your skeptical curiosity will change.

I would love to take you up on that if I was able to..

have gone to pretty much every major haunted place here in west australia.. and guess what.. nothing.. no evp.. no orbs in photo's (plenty of dust spots and insects though).. no spooky feelings.. nothing.. zip.. nadda..

yet each of these place have apparently had all of it.. if you chuck a believer in a area.. they get something.. get a non believer and you get nothing *shrugs* go figure..

Reading the posts on this thread brings to my mind the memory of when I was a teenager and decided to test my psychokinetic powers, so I carefully leveled a table and than placed some marbles of different types at different locations on it, and sat down and systematically tried to move each one with my mind, using a variety of methods (visualization, future cognition, energy radiation, third eye, and so on).

Of course nothing worked.

Does that mean that the phenomenon doesn't exist? Anyone can see that this conclusion would be unjustified; all I can really say is that at that time and place that person (me) was either too ignorant or too weak mentally to achieve it. No experiment can prove something's non-existence with a single, or even millions, of negative results.

However, it did persuade me of one thing -- that I am not a psychic I have no proof, but sometimes the evidence is persuasive to all but those who would delude themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a paranormal group and we would definitely. Let a scientst come along. If they can find some explanations for things then why not? Ghost hunters arn't all idiots with emf meters like you see on tv. Some of us acually like thinking haha.

• Like 1

If you are currently doing paranormal investigations,would you let scientists accompany you on your investigations? If you believe that ghosts exist,surely you would not mind someone in the scientific community going with you on your investigations.Funny I never see any scientists on " Ghost Hunters " or " Ghost Adventures ". Maybe there are no scientists out there who want to get involved in paranormal investigations.Does anyone know of any scientists out there who would like to do a study using the most up to date scientific methods to see if ghosts really can be proved to exist or not?Just curious.

I've been exploring the paranormal for most of my lifetime. Our travels include exploring long forgotten areas, researching history, honoring the deceased, and many, many hours of driving less traveled roads. I have had paranormal experiences my whole life. My very earliest memories are of the 'monsters' that would stand in my dark closet opening and closing the sliding door.

It wasn't till I was a teenager that I realized that 'everyone' doesn't experience these things.

It's been a lifetime hobby of mine to explore the unexplained.

Anyway, I would be more than happy to include scientists, skeptics, and anyone interested along to our explorations. My husband is a diehard skeptic while my best friend is a diehard believer and we welcome all points of view during these journeys.

I live in Southern Illinois, so if anyone is ever in the area, and interested in a ghost exploration, then let me know (PM me anytime) :yes: