Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephant dung coffee beans

Still Waters

Forget robusta and arabica - this is the world's most expensive coffee, given its unique flavour by...an elephant's digestive tract.

The thought of a coffee bean passing through an elephant's internal organs might not leave coffee-lovers overly enthused.

But the unique coffee, created in the hills of northern Thailand, is now the world's most expensive variety.

http://www.dailymail...-elephants.html

• Like 1

There is also Kopi Luwak, coffee beans that have passed through the GI tract of a civet, and has also been called the most expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

There is also Kopi Luwak, coffee beans that have passed through the GI tract of a civet, and has also been called the most expensive.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Kopi_Luwak

We've had threads posted on here about that coffee too :tu:

The Black Ivory coffee in the article is described as "now the world's most expensive variety". Whether it is or not I don't know. Either way I'll stick with my regular brand of decaff, not that I like coffee very much anyway, I prefer tea.

Lots of coffees are from animal poo . It's always expensive,because someone has to pay the bean finders .

You don't think they take minimum wage to go fingering around in piles of poop .

And elephant poop,oh my god.

I would need 75$,an hour,minimum .

• Like 3

The only system I want my coffee beans to have been through is mine.

• Like 2

Make it stop......please

• Like 1

I just swallowed some coffee beans.

Any offers before they come out? :w00t:

• Like 4

This is why I drink tea. Coffee tastes like sh**.

Hahahahaaa!!! That was good.

• Like 1

We've had threads posted on here about that coffee too :tu:

The Black Ivory coffee in the article is described as "now the world's most expensive variety". Whether it is or not I don't know. Either way I'll stick with my regular brand of decaff, not that I like coffee very much anyway, I prefer tea.

I prefer tea as well. Recently I found a smoked black tea, Lapsang Souchong, which I've come to like. The aroma is definitely has an ash quality to it that is pleasant, at least to me. I've been thinking of using a fair bit in a batch of Rauchbier to enhance the smokiness of that style.

• Like 1

If a rich person gave me this i would spit it out and say u dirty girty, this is coffee. They would say its the most expensive coffee its made through elephant dung and i would just leave lol.

you would never see stephen fry doing a twinnings advert for tea waiting for thee freshest cup of elephant tea, coffee drinkers need to convert. You drink coffee for the caffiene and you drink tea for the pleasure :)

I prefer tea as well. Recently I found a smoked black tea, Lapsang Souchong, which I've come to like. The aroma is definitely has an ash quality to it that is pleasant, at least to me. I've been thinking of using a fair bit in a batch of Rauchbier to enhance the smokiness of that style.

i love lapsung tea, smells like a bonfire but tastes lovely.

• Like 1

So they want us to plant Elephant crap-beans in our coffee? How stupid do they think we are?

I think this is aimed at those with more money than sense, about 1% of us last I heard :P

• Like 2

If a rich person gave me this i would spit it out and say u dirty girty, this is coffee. They would say its the most expensive coffee its made through elephant dung and i would just leave lol.

you would never see stephen fry doing a twinnings advert for tea waiting for thee freshest cup of elephant tea, coffee drinkers need to convert. You drink coffee for the caffiene and you drink tea for the pleasure :)

i love lapsung tea, smells like a bonfire but tastes lovely.

I agree. If you ever had Rauchbier, it has more a smoked meat quality. Lapsang has the ash and smoke.

Both Civet and Elephant dung coffee are not coffee's I'd drink even if it was given to me, and I LOVE coffee.

1. Both are Robusta coffee beans on par with freakin' Folgers.

2. Pooping them doesn't make them better quality beans. They'e still Sh*&!

Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick. And I find it hard to believe people will pay that kind of money for bad quality coffee.There's a sucker born every minute isn't there?

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

I'm sure they clean it well before roasting and serving but, eww... It's the thought.

Who was the first person to dig through civet poop for digested coffee beans...and why did the person do that in the first place?! And now elephant poop?

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 2

I'm sure they clean it well before roasting and serving but, eww... It's the thought.

Who was the first person to dig through civet poop for digested coffee beans...and why did the person do that in the first place?! And now elephant poop?

The roasting process alone would kill anything icky ... They probably do nothing more than rinsing it before loading it into the roaster.

Either way... Thailand doesn't grow Arabica beans... so what the elephants are eating is crappy Robusta grade coffee. And no amount of poop can change that.

• Like 1

Just the idea of drinking this kind of coffee is freaky.....

Edited by CuriousGreek

Reminds me of the cheap coffee they had where I used to work. Mystery coffee in unlabeled bags that was extremely bitter. Who knows what was in it.