Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A time of expectation

markdohle

A time of expectation

Waiting, we all do a great deal of it during our lives. It is not always pleasant, often very annoying and yes it can be bone wearying and tedious. Be it at airports, hospitals, doctors’ offices etc., it is often a chore to just sit and stare. Looking at magazines often only makes it worse. We love arrivals, when the tension of waiting is over. You can’t have one without the other however, sort of like hot and cold.

Advent is also about waiting and I believe that the times that we sit in a space and wait for ‘something’, it can bring to mind that this is an important aspect of our lives. When we pray, it can often seem like we are yet again, waiting, it is just on the Lord this time and we endure it, or run seeking to escape from the experience of ‘nothingness’. We can learn that we can wait on the Lord, if we look deeply into our lives and find out we do it all the time in just about every area of our lives, we just have to, we have no choice. In praying and waiting on the Lord we can refuse the grace filled invitation to deepen our intimacy with infinite love.

It is in our making that act of faith in the Lord that our waiting is fruitful. That gives us the courage and yes, allows us to receive the grace to simply ‘be’ in God’s presence. Perhaps we will slowly ponder a verse from the Scriptures. Or if Catholic or Orthodox will finger our rosaries to calm the body down, allowing the mind to focus and come alive and to draw in scattered energies. Or looking at nature or have a calming cup of tea; it does not matter what we do if we are seeking the Lord and a deeper love and relationship that often will go beyond concepts and words.

Advent is a time of expectation, of something that is beyond our wildest dreams, yet it can also seem boring if we do not slowly allow ourselves to sit, wait and soak in the meaning of this blessed season. Christmas is from December 25th to Jan 6th. Advent is the four weeks proceeding this Holy Day. I think we lose a lot as Christians, when we jump into the Christmas season and its culturally driven chaos, and in the process losing the grace, peace , joy, and yes the discipline of just being, just waiting on the Lord.

The gift giving is good, the sharing is wonderful, the parties are often healing for many, yet if that is all it is, then for those who believe that Christmas means Christ-Mass, miss out on a great deal. Then there are those who get depressed at Christmas. Perhaps for some it would help if they did forgo all of the above if possible, but focus on the actual meaning of it all.

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 3

You bring up a good point here. I think many Christians spend too much of their time waiting instead of acting. I myself am a bit of an activist and workaholic. I'm impatiant at times and do hate waiting.

However the time we have on this Earth is short. Instead of waiting for things I think we should be acting. Now I know I'm divulging a bit from the discussion concerning Advent, but I think this applies. We are all waiting as Christians for Christ's return. Many of us spend most of our time simply waiting on this very event, when we should be acting on Christ's message. We are not in this life simply to have fun and enjoy ourselves, we are here to work and spread God's message. I'm not saying we can't have fun, it's just not our priority.

This life goes by in the blink of an eye, so yes. Enjoy yourselves, spend time with loved ones, make new loved ones, and never forget Christ's message.

• Like 1

You bring up a good point here. I think many Christians spend too much of their time waiting instead of acting. I myself am a bit of an activist and workaholic. I'm impatiant at times and do hate waiting.

However the time we have on this Earth is short. Instead of waiting for things I think we should be acting. Now I know I'm divulging a bit from the discussion concerning Advent, but I think this applies. We are all waiting as Christians for Christ's return. Many of us spend most of our time simply waiting on this very event, when we should be acting on Christ's message. We are not in this life simply to have fun and enjoy ourselves, we are here to work and spread God's message. I'm not saying we can't have fun, it's just not our priority.

This life goes by in the blink of an eye, so yes. Enjoy yourselves, spend time with loved ones, make new loved ones, and never forget Christ's message.

I don't disagree with what you are saying my friend, love will compel to act, that is what waiting on the Lord does, it heals the soul, it allows us to learn to accept ourselves and by that fact to accept and love others. Waiting is not a waste of time, but something creative and important for all. We all have deep, complex inner lives, and our often driven by many irrational fears and desires. If we are not really aware of them, then they will drive us. Our cultural is driven, perhaps even going mad LOL with all the frentic noise and running around.

Peace

mark

Edited by markdohle

Our cultural is driven, perhaps even going mad LOL with all the frentic noise and running around.

So true. It is good to make seperate time to reflect and be in peace. That is after all, the purpose of there being a sabbath.

• Like 1

So true. It is good to make seperate time to reflect and be in peace. That is after all, the purpose of there being a sabbath.

Our culture would perhaps be better off if that were remembered.

peace

mark