Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The rare burger may soon become endangered

Still Waters

It is a far cry from the traditional burger sold at fast-food outlets. All over the country restaurants are putting “gourmet” burgers on the menu, offering them from rare to well done.

Now council officials are cracking down on the freedom to choose how your burger is done, warning restaurants not to offer them rare or even medium-rare.

http://www.telegraph...endangered.html

I can't eat a well done burger or steak.They're disgusting to me ,ergo ,they would lose my business .

• Like 1

Same here. For me, red meat is more digestible if it is cooked rare or at least medium rare.

I don't need some government cronies telling me how I may eat my food.

As long as the meat is properly handles and stored, there is nothing wrong about eating it rare.

Of course this is in the UK so it doesn't affect those of us in the U.S however these measures are slowly being implemented too.

Such as some yahoo in New York (or someplace) banning soft drinks of certain sizes..claiming that he/she is just looking out for the peoples health.

I don't need some goomba in an office somewhere dictating to me what I can and cannot eat. I DO have access to books, libraries, internet, tv and so forth so I am well able to obtain my own information and make my own choices.

This is an absolutely classic example of how local aurthorities have far, far too much power. It all comes from the belief that they're Politicians, it's exactly the same insistence that they have to be doing something all the time.

• Like 1

I can't eat a well done burger or steak.They're disgusting to me ,ergo ,they would lose my business .

I'm just the opposite! I prefer all meat well done, even to the point of being charred on the outside.

I'm just uncomfortable with undercooked meat.....and forget about sushi....

• Like 2

I'm just the opposite! I prefer all meat well done, even to the point of being charred on the outside.

Oh well, you'd get on with Mrs.Ealdwita's sausages then. We usually end up selling them to the local Art College for their charcoal sketching!

• Like 1

E-coli is actually quite common in ground meat. IMO simply including a warning on the menu should be enough. Basically, one eats rare ground meat at their own risk.

Personally, I don't eat ground meat unless I'm the one to grind it (I use my own food processor).

• Like 2

Well I actually don't eat beef anymore,but growing up ,I loved it rare .Always .It was my moms preference ,and I think that's where I got it,but I liked it even more rare than she did.

Many many of my friends like well done beef ,so I understand it perfectly .

I do occ still eat sushi ,but I love tuna,and with the overfishing of blue fin now,I cannot ,with a clear conscience,eat it anymore .

My food choices dwindle ,as issues with animal cruelty for our dinner table ,go thru the roof .

It's just harder and harder to eat animal proteins with a clear conscience now .

I like my meat well done. I can understand their concerns about eating undercooked meat in a restaurant because of bacteria. Even if the meat is E-coli free what kind of bacteria is on the hands of the people that are preparing it. Did they wash them the last time they went to the restroom? I would have a problem with eating undercooked meat in a restaurant.puke.gif

If you become ill will you sue the restaurant or accept that the blame is yours for ordering it.

I don't know how anyone can eat undercooked meat, even the sight of it puts me off. Besides, the longer you cook it for the more tender it becomes...usually.

I had a hard time getting American tiurists to understand that in BC they could not order burgers rare or medium rare. The inner temperature to kill ecoli means that the burger has to be fully cooked. With sue happy people out there, I think making it an impossibilty to order undercooked burgers is a good idea.

Cooking? Ha - saw off its horns and wipe its butt - that'll do!

I like my burgers cooked through, but my steaks medium rare.

If I'm at a high dollar joint like Ramsey's place, I'd expect I wouldn't get anything that would make me sick.

Other places....

I know of two people, one of which was my mom, who likes hamburger completely uncooked.

To each their own I guess.

I know of two people, one of which was my mom, who likes hamburger completely uncooked.

To each their own I guess.

A Middle Eastern dish called Kibbeh is mostly just raw ground beef or lamb. That is the only food my Arabs friends make that I won't eat and I like my steaks rare.

Medium rare to rare for my steaks. Love the juices. Hamburgers medium rare. I love sushi.

Medium rare to rare for my steaks. Love the juices. Hamburgers medium rare. I love sushi.

My steaks are medium well, LOVE sushi, but hamburger has to be cooked for me to eat it.

Aslong as they don't mess with the Double quarter pounder w/c I won't need to fire my wrath on this planet, my one treat once a fortnight will be mine. XD Fancy shmancy. Meh.