Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiveForTomorrow

Clouded Leopard Cubs Arrive at SD Zoo

8 posts in this topic

Two Clouded Leopards playing around at their new home. I don't think too much is known about these in their natural habitat. Hopefully they can learn some new things about the species.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtcfatZhav8[/media]

1 person likes this

Whilst I was in Nepal, rumours began about a family of Cloudeds being seen in the Kali Gandaki Gorge not too distant from where I was living. It's too far West for them usually and well out of their range, but having a day or two spare, I got a couple of Gurkhas together and drove over there to have a look. We spent two days there but sighted nothing but a few Ghoral mountain goats. Never mind, it was a nice couple of days out.

Any story that begins with "Whilst I was in Nepal" is a good story. Why were you living in Nepal? Extended vacation?

Beautiful creatures.. I would love to see one of these in the wild as well, ealdwita. I think it would be cool just to go to Nepal.

Any story that begins with "Whilst I was in Nepal" is a good story. Why were you living in Nepal? Extended vacation?

I am a retired officer of the Royal Gurkha Rifles and since I've retired, I've been involved with ex-Gurkha soldiers and their families, both in Nepal and UK. Also with recruiting. Every year, I get to go over there to the British Gurkha Camp at Deep Heights (just to the NE of the City of Pokhara in the Annapurna foothills) for a few months. Not too taxing though, and there's plenty of free time. (And I get paid!!!)

Wow, once a year! I am not 100% sure if it was nepal (I think it was), but someone told me about eating this Yak up there that only survives in high altitudes because it eats the moss that grows up there. They said it was delicious. You ever try this or here of this?

Beautiful creatures.. I would love to see one of these in the wild as well, ealdwita. I think it would be cool just to go to Nepal.

I've never seen Cloudeds in Nepal, Nikki, but Snow Leopards are much more common. There's plenty of prey for them all year round, but they can make a damned nuisance of themselves by eating domestic cattle (which are easier to catch than nimble mountain goats!)

Nepal is one of the most beautiful countries in the world IMO. If I had my way I'd live the rest of my life out there. (It may happen yet - Watch this space!)

Wow, once a year! I am not 100% sure if it was nepal (I think it was), but someone told me about eating this Yak up there that only survives in high altitudes because it eats the moss that grows up there. They said it was delicious. You ever try this or here of this?

There are no wild yaks left in Nepal, but there are plenty of domesticated ones, also yak/cattle hybrids. I've eaten yak many times, and it is very tasty. Also yak cheese called chhurpi and yak butter in hot green tea. (Much nicer than it sounds, especially after a day in the mountains!)