Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we closing in on Bigfoot?

keninsc

The problem is we would have already found all cryptids or proved they don't exist by now if we had funding from governments rather than being completely independant. Another problem is the fact that even if Bigfoot isn't real and we have proved it, people will still believe and hunt for it so therefore I don't think the case will ever close.

Thing is you can't prove something doesn't exist, not matter what you do you can't cover everything.

I've often said what I'd like to do is win a lottery so I could mount up a real investigation and do a proper job of checking out sighting reports, especially those concentrated in a relatively close area. Yeah, but it would fun anyway since I enjoy being out in the woods anyway.

Bigfoot sighting here do not decrease during the winter. Even if they did, we now have hundreds of Bigfoots invisibly migrating across America across rivers and freeways every autumn.

Are you serious??? Have you ever tried to kill a deer with a rock??? I know of no hunters who hunt with rocks! Do Bigfoots build slingshots?

Hell yes I would! That means that some person has left a dangerous trap to purposely injure someone. If you come across these here, most likely you are getting near someone's marijuana crop which unfortunately are common on public lands around here. The Forest Service requests that hikers report traps like this since it's likely that more dangerous traps are around.

I've seen rocks all the time. How do these kill animals for Bigfoot again?

I've seen animals (mostly bobcat) try to hunt rabbits and squirrels and fail more often than succeed. Whenever I try to imagine a nine foot biped creature trying to grab a squirrel or dig a rabbit out of the ground, it sounds like comedy to me.

When im talking about a trap, i dont mean a big dear trap, i mean a rabbit or rat trap. We use them all the time here. It involves using a rock about the size of an analog clock propped up on a couple of sticks, one with a notch in it. Now say that the trap was sprung but with no animal in it. I dont think anyone would take notice of a rock on the side of a trail, even a larger one, if it was a normal rock. These types of traps would only injure someone if they tripped over them, but this would mean that they were set in the middle of the trail. This is unlikely, however because the traps wouldn't be set in the middle of a trail because the best place to catch a rat or rabbit or other small rodent, is in the deeper brush of the forest. At least that is the case where i live.

Well in the case of the small rocks, let me go and sharpen a rock by grinding it against another rock, and then throw it at you. Or even a dull rock. Last time i checked, rocks aren't exactly down feathers. Nut no, i don't think that Bigfoot kills deer with them, that would be strange.

I think that traps would be the best bet for a 'nine foot biped creature' to get any meat. However, here in North Carolina, there are many other food sources for such creatures. Nuts and fungi, and many roots are available in the winter and many other things are available in the summer where I live.

How do you define "hoaxes" and "hallucinations"? Were do "lies" fit in? Are they the same as "stories"?

How would you categorize Roosevelt's Bigfoot story or the Ape canyon incident?

I prefer to use the Merriam Webster dictionary to define the words i use. Here you go.

Hoax : to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

Hallucination: perception of objects with no reality usually arising from disorder of the nervous system or in response to drugs (as LSD)

b
:
the object so perceived

:
an unfounded or mistaken impression or notion
:

I think lies and hoaxes are one and the same. A story is a simple recounting of an experience. To me, whether it crosses the line into hoaxville depends entirely on the intent of the storyteller. If the storyteller believes the account and genuinely feels they are passing along truth, then its a story and in my mind would somehow, someway have to fall into the misidentification category. If there is any element of deception or truth stretching in the account then it is by definition a lie or hoax.

As far as the stories you mention - again, they are eyewitness accounts. To me - the status or qualifications of an individual making an eyewitness account have no bearing on the fact that they are also human, with fallible senses given the right circumstances of environment or mental/emotional state at the time. Noen of us record information objectively with our senses, much as we'd like to think we do. Everything we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel passes through our vast array of mental filters, fears, hopes, preconceptions, and biases in a split second before we decide what we are seeing.

NW you have been around here enough to know that I'd love to be a believer. There just isn't the evidence to date, that will allow that to happen for me. Until that time I have to take every eyewitness account for what it is - a story of unverifiable veracity, based on events recorded by that most subjective of recording devices - the human mind. Someday if real evidence is brought to bear and Bigfoots are proven to exist, then all of those eyewitness accounts will mean a good deal more. Until then, they are just stories.

• Like 1

Its my opinion personally that ALL bigfoot sightings fall into these categories:

1. Misidentifications of known fauna.

2. Hoaxes

3. Hallucinations.

Let me say clearly that I don't think all bigfoot sightings are lies. A person can easily be telling the truth but simply incorrect.

My point in the previous post is that IF bigfoots were real, they can't be sighted everywhere on every damn continent yet be so elusive nobody would ever catch one. To state otherwise is illogical.

That makes sense. A lot of people could just as easily be tricked. I really don't know... I just entertain the idea that it could be real given the circumstances... :unsure:

How do you define "hoaxes" and "hallucinations"? Were do "lies" fit in? Are they the same as "stories"?

How would you categorize Roosevelt's Bigfoot story or the Ape canyon incident?

Roosevelt's second hand story was probably a bear attack that was embellished over the years. The Ape Canyon incident was probably youths throwing rocks down the ledge at night not realizing that miners had built a small cabin down there. There wasn't a lot for kids to do around here back in 1924 and it's cool how large volcanic rocks break up into small pieces.

Roosevelt's second hand story was probably a bear attack that was embellished over the years. The Ape Canyon incident was probably youths throwing rocks down the ledge at night not realizing that miners had built a small cabin down there. There wasn't a lot for kids to do around here back in 1924 and it's cool how large volcanic rocks break up into small pieces.

Considering those in the cabin had opened fire with their rifles, it be foolish for any kids to keep up with the prank afterwards, which reportedly the attacks did. There were more to the attacks then just rocks against the wall, whomever was responsible had also climbed on the roof, and attempted to push in the door and the walls, each time provoking gunfire from those inside. Getting shot at repeatedly in the middle of the night is not most people's idea of fun.

• Like 1

Dude, when I was in the Marine Corps we had to give sentries empty rifles when they were guarding ammo dumps because there were rats and the guys would freak out and shoot at them. Most of us didn't want to die because some girlly Marine took a shot at a rat and blew up the damn fire base.

Listen guys there are no bigfoots, a hominid could not have made it the Americas, or there would be bones to be found.Big foots are all a hoax :)

Listen guys there are no bigfoots, a hominid could not have made it the Americas, or there would be bones to be found.Big foots are all a hoax :)

That's a legitimate stance and one I can't argue against. Now, having said that, I'm open on the subject but that's due to accounts told to me by two friends, these were guys I knew well and personally and because of what they saw and told me about I'm open to the possibility when the fact is the evidence tells me you're actually correct.

• Like 1

Considering those in the cabin had opened fire with their rifles, it be foolish for any kids to keep up with the prank afterwards, which reportedly the attacks did.

Why? Did they hit anything? Just because they heard some gunfire below didn't mean they were being shot at.

There were more to the attacks then just rocks against the wall, whomever was responsible had also climbed on the roof, and attempted to push in the door and the walls, each time provoking gunfire from those inside.

Again... did they manage to hit the supposed creatures only feet away? They didn't? And you don't think this is a rather enormous flaw in this wild tale?

Getting shot at repeatedly in the middle of the night is not most people's idea of fun.

Yet we are to believe that getting shot at repeatedly is Bigfoot's idea of fun. Unlike every other creature on Earth, when ya shoot at Bigfoot it just keeps a comin' atcha!

This tale has all the marks of a trivial incident embellished beyond plausibility.

• Like 1

too big to not be found already.... You're talking about an animal that is between 8 feet to 10 feet tall.... It's pretty much impossible for something that big to exist and not be found by now.
Edited by anonguy

That's what all animals instinctively do, except for humans.

Modern day humans, yes. Mother nature does provide the necessary tools needed for animals to survive and locate food sources within their respective habitat. Humans are tool users and a bipedal primate, with a large enough brain, could also be a tool user. While I may not have found conclusive proof of a bipedal primate while looking for evidence of such, I did however learn a new hunting technique from someone or something that lives off the land. I really need to talk to a socio-cultural anthropologist or someone who studies and catalogues different hunting techniques.

Drop me a line. I love to hear about it Stardrive.

• 3 weeks later...

Why? Did they hit anything? Just because they heard some gunfire below didn't mean they were being shot at.

Again... did they manage to hit the supposed creatures only feet away? They didn't? And you don't think this is a rather enormous flaw in this wild tale?

Yet we are to believe that getting shot at repeatedly is Bigfoot's idea of fun. Unlike every other creature on Earth, when ya shoot at Bigfoot it just keeps a comin' atcha!

This tale has all the marks of a trivial incident embellished beyond plausibility.

And yet you cannot stop lions and grizzly bears that are charging you even by shooting them or shooting at them. :hmm:

And yet you cannot stop lions and grizzly bears that are charging you even by shooting them or shooting at them. :hmm:

Yes, it is possible to stop a charging grizzly, even by just shooting around it. You may need to be Quick Draw McGraw though, depending on the situation. And of course you can stop a grizzly by shooting it.

Even bear spray can work. But every situation is different and there are no guarantees. Shooting one may even make the situation worse.

Paul Harvey tells a great story about a huge wild boar in Michigan that took hunters 8 rounds to bring down, though. And they weren't even supposed to live there.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I have never been charged by a bear black or grizzly, but I was once backed off by a group of dogs......who were actually pets that people allowed to roam free and when they all "pack up" then the pack mentality took over. After that I never go out in the woods without a firearm and that's usually my trusty S&W 4506.

I've never been attacked by anything except a large feral hog once when I was hiking in Northern Alabama/Northwestern Georgia in an area known as the Coosa River Gorge. I fired one round into the ground, in front of the damn thing and it didn't even slow down, I fired once more and I swear the round hit right under it's snout then finally I put a round squarely between it's eyes. That stopped it cold. I know that people worry about mountain lions, bobcats, bears and such but in my experience, which is a bit more than the average but not as much as others, "Dawgs and Hawgs" have been the biggest threat to me. I've never carried pepper spray because a good pistol can be a very effective deterrent in a non-lethal way and if you have to resort to lethality then it's in your hand and ready to go. No fumbling around and all that sort of stuff, just aim.

• Like 1

Yes, it is possible to stop a charging grizzly, even by just shooting around it. You may need to be Quick Draw McGraw though, depending on the situation. And of course you can stop a grizzly by shooting it.

Even bear spray can work. But every situation is different and there are no guarantees. Shooting one may even make the situation worse.

Paul Harvey tells a great story about a huge wild boar in Michigan that took hunters 8 rounds to bring down, though. And they weren't even supposed to live there.

bull****...your not going to stop a charging grizzly by shooting around it or with any type of spray...it would be literally a second away from the point you sprayed it. You need several rounds and heavy caliber unless you get a very very lucky shot off...

bull****...your not going to stop a charging grizzly by shooting around it or with any type of spray...it would be literally a second away from the point you sprayed it. You need several rounds and heavy caliber unless you get a very very lucky shot off...

No, it's not bull, but I never said it was run of the mill.

A real video circulated on the I-net some years ago of a guy stopping a charging mama grizzly with cubs by shooting around her. She ran away like a scalded dog.

"It’s a reasonable question, and by no means should hunters dismiss the power and value of their firearms, as we'll discuss later. But as is so often the case when it comes to bears, the answer is more complex than it might first appear.

Studies by biologist Stephen Herrero and others indicate that pepper spray works on charging bears about 90 to 96 percent of the time. Mark Matheny, a hunter who was seriously mauled by a grizzly several years ago while deer hunting north of Yellowstone Park, and who subsequently began a career devoted to bear self-defense and the manufacture of UDAP pepper spray, explains how a mere blast of cayenne aerosol can stop an angry

griz:http://sportsafield.com/content/grizzly-defense

There are several articles on this which are easy to find.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Wow, issues? You have them.

Grizzly Bear with a Bow....

Bowhunting%20Grizzly%20bear%20-%20Randy%20Ulmer.JPG

Lion with a bow...

Vinny%20Beranco%20Lion(1).jpg

Any questions?

• Like 1

I have never been charged by a bear black or grizzly, but I was once backed off by a group of dogs......who were actually pets that people allowed to roam free and when they all "pack up" then the pack mentality took over. After that I never go out in the woods without a firearm and that's usually my trusty S&W 4506.

What kind of wildlife do you have in your parts? Depending on the wildlife, .45 ACP may not have enough punch.

A .357 or .44 revolver may be better suited for boar, grizzly, black bear, and mountain lion.... if six rounds aint enough... well...

But most important is learning how to survive in the woods and how to prevent an animal attack from happening which is something I shouldn't need to address.

Grizzly Bear with a Bow....

Bowhunting%20Grizzly%20bear%20-%20Randy%20Ulmer.JPG

Lion with a bow...

Vinny%20Beranco%20Lion(1).jpg

Any questions?

Well, how many of these animals were recklessly charging the people who killed them???

I don't believe we're closing in on Bigfoot because I don't believe Bigfoot exists.

Of course any thing is possible. Probability obviously is another matter. When I was younger I wanted to believe in aliens, Bigfoots, the supernatural and all manner of ancient and unexplained mysteries. Again, while anything is possible that youthful desire to believe has faded.

If Bigfoot exists, so too like the Loch Ness Monster, I believe we'd have found hard evidence by now.