Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

Still Waters

I find it hilarious when I look at the word Gay in the whole sense of the word. Seriously look at the past history of marriage where most of it was forced for business. If you weren't married you could be seen as Gay(Pleasant and cheerful/Happy because you are a bachelor not forced in to a union for monetary benefit, not the current popular meaning homosexual which stems from this ).

Every time I see the church trying to ban gay marriage, I giggle because it shows what they really want to make illegal. People being happy. Which really shows what kind of group they are.

Also The Philippines Church Banned the gay merriage..But For Me it's totally legal as long as they are happy with each other why not...??Hmmm..

• Like 1

Why should I read something that inspires hate, intolerence, death and torture? Ah yes, because it's somehow the word of god. Because it's somehow relevent to what Jesus said, even though it was codified 5 centuries after Jesus' death and had been added to by many people over that time.To be honest, none of it seems like it's reliable because of that.

What it is, is laws written by people who made claims it was from god. And while, yes some may be things from Jesus himself a lot of it is actually filler. Let me ask you, how much of the bible is actually about jesus and how much is the teachings of others before and after him? If the teachings of jesus really are so important, why is there so much of those others and why are they held in suuch high regard?

Blasphemy!

Its peoples beliefs you're fighting against.

Blasphemy!

Its peoples beliefs you're fighting against.

:-*

Sometimes people's beliefs need to be fought against. We fought against rascism and sexism, even though those beliefs were held by people (and held up by religion). This is no different.

• Like 1

If the entire western world legalises gay marriage, that is a true sign of - The end of times, because that is the final seal to be broken for Lucifer to come out of his cage and we are doomed !!!! LOL

there is nothing christian about churches being against gay marriage.. thats the irony..

if Jesus was living today, im sure he would accept all people as equal and all situations, including gay marriage in his churches.. i even think the Jesus in the bible was gay.. that long hair, that gentle nature, hanging out with all those sexy disciples, nailed to a cross.. so camp, with a sadomasochist slant..

but in all seriousness who would want to get married in a church anyway?? eek!!!

• Like 2

there is nothing christian about churches being against gay marriage.. thats the irony..

if Jesus was living today, im sure he would accept all people as equal and all situations, including gay marriage in his churches.. i even think the Jesus in the bible was gay.. that long hair, that gentle nature, hanging out with all those sexy disciples, nailed to a cross.. so camp, with a sadomasochist slant..

but in all seriousness who would want to get married in a church anyway?? eek!!!

From reading and observing his character in the book, I'd say of course he would be more accepting, and he would put a lot of christians to shame while doing it

• Like 4

Unless I'm missing something God is quite clearly against it in the Bible.

Laws protect religious freedom in this country so you'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

Laws protect religious freedom in this country so you'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

Are saying Jesus himself speaks out against gays? I doubt he ever did, or ever would

And who says we most be tolerant?

It is interesting to see times change 20 years ago this would have to be a gay website to even talk about such things and there would have been deffinately been way more gay bashing which would have probably been allowed on this thread. Pay attention all who hold any hatred toward any group... Things change, societies change, religions change, nothing is as solid as it seems.....

* edit that is to say if it were not a gay website their would be allowed gay bashing

And of course I understand social forums such as these were not as available ....

Edited by SpiritWriter

Are saying Jesus himself speaks out against gays? I doubt he ever did, or ever would

Let us be tolerant of love and not hatred... :)

It's not 'clear that god is aghainst it. Jesus mentioned nothing about it and the amount of times it's mentioned can be counted on one hand (with the leveticus side being among laws that no one follows and the other main mention attributed to a misteanslation).

Actually when it comes to religious freedom the law doesn't protect it all that much. If you want to discriminate against a gay person in a place of buisness you can't under any circumstances. In fact the only place where it is 'protected' is in religious buildings during services. So no, this isn't something we should be tolerating just because it's a religious belief.

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 2

I thought gay marriage was legal in the UK, but I guess I was mistaken. What about those who are not Christian? Why do they have to follow Christian law? Pagans don't have an issue with gay marriage and are happy to preform rituals for same sex couples.

As an American I've got no skin in this game, so to speak, but I do live in a state which recently through public vote legalized gay marriage. I voted for gay marriage and here was my reasoning for doing so. Marriage is not regulated by churches, it is regulated by law. You apply for a marriage license from the government, you pay taxes based somewhat on marital status, divorces certainly fall under the jurisdiction of the courts. In other words marriage, because the state has taken control of it, and regulates itthrough laws, has nothing to do with religion. So under law people must be treated equally. To deny one segment of a population certain rights while granting them to others is wrong. It was my feeling therefore that while it is strictly up to the church whether or not they wish to perform a ceremony, it is the jurisdiction of the government to grant the actual marriage. Our governments must provided equal rights and equal protection under law so gay marriage should be legal.

I don't beleive that our systems are so different that it would be different in England.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

In my opinion god wants us to value our sexuality. There are things, situations, mind sets, abuses etc that pervert us, that truly prohibit a healthy spirit and the growth of that... The example of Sodom and gomorrah was the state of this perversion. Sexuality is a serious thing and should be analyzed for your own person....

• Like 2

i could swear on my left hand that you will never get support from the other churches as they base their religion on the bible, as for the others i can understand from your point of view that they are christian but surely you cant be contraryto the bible and be a christian.

This might sound like its inciting an argument but you unknowingly insult christians with your suggestions of bettering christianity by christians not believing in christianity.

re: bolded statement

if this were true then there would be no christians. there is not one human being alive christian or otherwise who has followed or agreed with the bible's teaching and laws to the letter. therefore they all fall short of being 'christian' as you define it.

to be a christian is to follow the teachings of jesus. the rest is subject to interpretation

• Like 4

re: bolded statement

if this were true then there would be no christians. there is not one human being alive christian or otherwise who has followed or agreed with the bible's teaching and laws to the letter. therefore they all fall short of being 'christian' as you define it.

to be a christian is to follow the teachings of jesus. the rest is subject to interpretation

Amen! Some traditionally minded Christians would surely call me a heathen and think I was consorting with the devil for some of the stuff I think and do and read. But I can assure you I am christian thru and thru..... Amen and hallelujah. God is good all the time. :)

• Like 3

the law says so

It's not 'clear that god is aghainst it. Jesus mentioned nothing about it and the amount of times it's mentioned can be counted on one hand (with the leveticus side being among laws that no one follows and the other main mention attributed to a misteanslation).

Actually when it comes to religious freedom the law doesn't protect it all that much. If you want to discriminate against a gay person in a place of buisness you can't under any circumstances. In fact the only place where it is 'protected' is in religious buildings during services. So no, this isn't something we should be tolerating just because it's a religious belief.

The laws protecting religion read almost identically to the laws protecting gay rights.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I thought gay marriage was legal in the UK, but I guess I was mistaken. What about those who are not Christian? Why do they have to follow Christian law? Pagans don't have an issue with gay marriage and are happy to preform rituals for same sex couples.

We had civil partnerships instead. When they were first introduced no religion could do them (even those that wished to) and it took quite awhile for the religious groups that wanted to to be able to (and even then it was harder). When the gay marriage law was first proposed it was gonna be the same sstory, just civil marriage but religious grous campaigned so now they can oopt in (unfortunately ones campaigned withn the paranoid stance they'd be forced to, which has lead to the law going overboard).

The laws protecting religion read almost identically to the laws protecting gay rights.

Laws protecting religion always have limits. After all the bible and koran and others can be read in such a way that allow people to get away with all kinds of horrors. The law has to ensure that religious freedom is possible, but doesn't go so far as to let religious people have a free for all. ie the bible says it's ok to stone people, but if a group of christians got together and stoned someone to death and were found by the poolice, they couldn't cry 'the bible says I can' and get too go free.

Two main cases come to mind. The first was a catholic adoption agency. When the law changed so gay coupled could adopt they HAD to follow the new law. They weren't protected just because they wee a religious buisness.The second is the christian b and b that refused a gay couple. They were taken to court and they lost. Again, their 'religion says so' did not give them a get out clause for following the law.

The only places that get exemptions are actual churches and that's only until they provide a public service. When that happens (like with the adoption service) they have to follow the law.

Edited by shadowhive

the law says so

Prove it..go on then..Show me where the law says we must show tolerance towards any belief?

To show tolerance, means to put up with.. The law in the UK and Ireland doesn't say what we can and cannot put up with in our lives.. We do not have to tolerate anything

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Let us be tolerant of love and not hatred... :)

I'll be honest here, you personally are under no obligation to show me or anyone else tolerance of our beliefs, whatever those beliefs may be. You can if you wish, but you are not under any obligation, that is my point