Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

Still Waters

The Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government has announced.

Other religious organisations will be able to "opt in" to offering ceremonies, Culture Secretary Maria Miller told MPs.

David Cameron has said he wants churches in England and Wales to be part of the plans.

But Mrs Miller said they had strong opposition and would not be included.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-20680924

The Church of England and Church in Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government has announced.

Other religious organisations will be able to "opt in" to offering ceremonies, Culture Secretary Maria Miller told MPs.

David Cameron has said he wants churches in England and Wales to be part of the plans.

But Mrs Miller said they had strong opposition and would not be included.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-20680924

An extremely misleading topic heading.

I'm glad that we'll finally have same sex marriage. It's just a shame outspoken religions have scaremongered so much that they've had to have so many concessions, especially when they've already had protections and exemptions in place already.

Edited by shadowhive

As a christian i cant promote gay marrige but at the same time, i think that laws are meant to be put in place to protect the public, and homosexuality in no way endangers the public.

marriage from the church and marriage from state should be different things, if you dont believe in christianity theres no need to get married in a christian church as its contrary to the rules of the church that arnt meant to change. im sure there must be some churches of other religions or non religious registry offices that can be just as official for homosexuals and more pleasing to their needs. a preist held at gunpoint to marry the same sex might ruin their ceromony (jokes lol)

Edited by Armchair Educated

As a christian i cant promote gay marrige but at the same time, i think that laws are meant to be put in place to protect the public, and homosexuality in no way endangers the public.

marriage from the church and marriage from state should be different things, if you dont believe in christianity theres no need to get married in a christian church as its contrary to the rules of the church that arnt meant to change. im sure there must be some churches of other religions or non religious registry offices that can be just as official for homosexuals and more pleasing to their needs. a preist held at gunpoint to marry the same sex might ruin their ceromony (jokes lol)

The original intention of the law was for same sex civil marriages only. However some religious groups (some of which are christian) actually wanted to marry gay people, which is why we have it in the way it is now. You can only speak for your demonination though. There are other christian churches that would absolutely love to marry gay people.

Like I said, a lot of scaremongering was done by the church to make out like churches would be forced to doing it. Hopefully that'll stop now that it's been stated point blank that they won't. But, hopefully, internal change for those churches will come evenuallly.

Also remember that you are a human being first, a christian second. Christianity says to do plenty of things that you, in good conscience, would never do. Please don't use your faith as an excuse.

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 2

The original intention of the law was for same sex civil marriages only. However some religious groups (some of which are christian) actually wanted to marry gay people, which is why we have it in the way it is now. You can only speak for your demonination though. There are other christian churches that would absolutely love to marry gay people.

Like I said, a lot of scaremongering was done by the church to make out like churches would be forced to doing it. Hopefully that'll stop now that it's been stated point blank that they won't. But, hopefully, internal change for those churches will come evenuallly.

i could swear on my left hand that you will never get support from the other churches as they base their religion on the bible, as for the others i can understand from your point of view that they are christian but surely you cant be contraryto the bible and be a christian.

This might sound like its inciting an argument but you unknowingly insult christians with your suggestions of bettering christianity by christians not believing in christianity.

i could swear on my left hand that you will never get support from the other churches as they base their religion on the bible, as for the others i can understand from your point of view that they are christian but surely you cant be contraryto the bible and be a christian.

The bible says to kill people for planting different crops side by side, that selling children into slavery is ok, that wearing mixed frabics should be punished among other things. Do you follow them simply because they're in the bible? You don't? But those things are in the bible! How can you call yourself a christian for not doing what the bible tells you to!

You see, every christian does things 'contrary to the bible', even you. So you can't critise people for doing what you do.

I know it's shocking, but you can be christian and use common sense.

I'm told that you just have to believe in jesus and his teaching to be a christian. Since most of the bible is nothing to do with that, well...

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 2

Also I find the church of England's arguement particularly hypocritical. After all the church was founded because one man wanted to change marriage so he could get a divorce.

• Like 1

The bible says to kill people for planting different crops side by side, that selling children into slavery is ok, that wearing mixed frabics should be punished among other things. Do you follow them simply because they're in the bible? You don't? But those things are in the bible! How can you call yourself a christian for not doing what the bible tells you to!

You see, every christian does things 'contrary to the bible', even you. So you can't critise people for doing what you do.

I know it's shocking, but you can be christian and use common sense.

I'm told that you just have to believe in jesus and his teaching to be a christian. Since most of the bible is nothing to do with that, well...

Every thing you just said shows that you have a lack understanding of the bible and how its meant to relate to people, you know nothing about me and how closely i follow my religion. you are very presumptous and lack common sense as you judge something as an expert even though you havent read it, as i shown in your answer. i have read the bible from beggining to end in order

Also I find the church of England's arguement particularly hypocritical. After all the church was founded because one man wanted to change marriage so he could get a divorce.

Henry the 8th started it but in no way represents christianity as he was using a levitcal law that didnt even apply to him

Most christians dislike the church of england and the catholic church so any arguments between them are void.

Every thing you just said shows that you a understanding of the bible and how its meant to relate to people, you know nothing about me and how closely i follow my religion. you are very presumptous and lack common sense as you judge something as an expert even though you havent read it, as i shown in your answer. i have read the bible from beggining to end in order

And yet you don't follow it's laws when it comes to executing people left and right so obviously you don't follow it that closely.

My point is this. You ignore lots of parts of the bible so you don't really have room to critise people that ignore one other (very small) part of it.

You're right, I've not read it I don't want to. If you held me at gunpoint and told me to, I'd prefer the shot than reading that fiction.

Henry the 8th started it but in no way represents christianity as he was using a levitcal law that didnt even apply to him

Most christians dislike the church of england and the catholic church so any arguments between them are void.

So what brand of christian are you then? There's just so many isn't there? It just goes to show how unclear and open to interpretation that the bible actually is that there's more denominations then is necessary.

Funny you bring up the levetical laws since the main 'arguement' against homosexuality by the church is from them. A list of laws that is (ar that one) universally ignored.

Edited by shadowhive

And yet you don't follow it's laws when it comes to executing people left and right so obviously you don't follow it that closely.

My point is this. You ignore lots of parts of the bible so you don't really have room to critise people that ignore one other (very small) part of it.

You're right, I've not read it I don't want to. If you held me at gunpoint and told me to, I'd prefer the shot than reading that fiction.

tell me where in the bible it says a gentile has to kill people and then look at your comment and then try to if you can read your comment seriously.

tell me where in the bible it says a gentile has to kill people and then look at your comment and then try to if you can read your comment seriously.

Ah of course. The bible says one thing but oh wait, you've got this out so you don't have to follow it. But if other people don't follow something that's equally ridiculous you do the christian thing of saying they're 'not real christians'.

Look back at what I read. I purposely used examples of things that most people of good conscience would never even consider. Yet at points in the bible, it ok's them. My point being Just because something is in the bible doesn't mean it's ok or right. Clearly you missed my point.

Edited by shadowhive

So what brand of christian are you then? There's just so many isn't there? It just goes to show how unclear and open to interpretation that the bible actually is that there's more denominations then is necessary.

Funny you bring up the levetical laws since the main 'arguement' against homosexuality by the church is from them. A list of laws that is (ar that one) universally ignored.

if i told you the kind of christian i was you wouldnt understand as you dont understand basic christian theology, you think that christians are under the laws of the old testament, the main of of the new testament is they are not. are you saying sexual imorality isnt mention in the new testment because it is and your making a fool out of your self by revealing more and more about the lack of christianity you do know.

if i told you the kind of christian i was you wouldnt understand as you dont understand basic christian theology, you think that christians are under the laws of the old testament, the main of of the new testament is they are not. are you saying sexual imorality isnt mention in the new testment because it is and your making a fool out of your self by revealing more and more about the lack of christianity you do know.

Try me.

Again. I'm saying these things are in the bible. Like I said in my last post: just because they're in the bible doesn't make them right and doesn't mean they should be followed.

As for sexual imorality, it's down to the translation and interpretation. Homosexuality itself is a fairly recent word. It's felt the original meaning of the text was aimed at something else, yet it got translated to mean homosexuality and it's just stuck.

Christians, like any other person have free will. they can make their own choices and decisions. They shouldn't be chained to what the bible says or doesn't say anymore than anyone else.

• Like 4

Ah of course. The bible says one thing but oh wait, you've got this out so you don't have to follow it. But if other people don't follow something that's equally ridiculous you do the christian thing of saying they're 'not real christians'.

Look back at what I read. I purposely used examples of things that most people of good conscience would never even consider. Yet at points in the bible, it ok's them. My point being Just because something is in the bible doesn't mean it's ok or right. Clearly you missed my point.

face palm facepalm facepalm facepalm

there were no christians before jesus (JESUS CHRISTians), god was only for the jews and the jews agreed to follow god laws. jesus made it so that every one in the world could be one of gods children.

i understand the point your making, im just saying that it lacks any worth as its all ignorant ravings that arnt based on fact as you your self say you havent read the bible. im not saying your an ignorant person about everything just the bible and think if you cared so little about it you shouldnt comment on it and if you want to comment on something you should read the bible as its the basis for all arguments for and against christians.

Face palms self to death as to not be involved in this topic any more.

there were no christians before jesus (JESUS CHRISTians), god was only for the jews and the jews agreed to follow god laws. jesus made it so that every one in the world could be one of gods children.

i understand the point your making, im just saying that it lacks any worth as its all ignorant ravings that arnt based on fact as you your self say you havent read the bible. im not saying your an ignorant person about everything just the bible and think if you cared so little about it you shouldnt comment on it and if you want to comment on something you should read the bible as its the basis for all arguments for and against christians.

Why should I read something that inspires hate, intolerence, death and torture? Ah yes, because it's somehow the word of god. Because it's somehow relevent to what Jesus said, even though it was codified 5 centuries after Jesus' death and had been added to by many people over that time.To be honest, none of it seems like it's reliable because of that.

What it is, is laws written by people who made claims it was from god. And while, yes some may be things from Jesus himself a lot of it is actually filler. Let me ask you, how much of the bible is actually about jesus and how much is the teachings of others before and after him? If the teachings of jesus really are so important, why is there so much of those others and why are they held in suuch high regard?

Edited by shadowhive

I didn't see where he said there were christians before Jesus.

And where does Jesus speak of gays or gay marriage?

• Like 1

They can't allow gays to marry, it is too twisted.. If gays are allowed to marry, it will send a wave of divorces across our land.. Before you know it, thousands of straight couples will find themselves possessed by gay demons and ultimately will end in divorce .. People will all turn gay.. The gay demons love this, they want all churches to allow gay marriages, so that can give them the power to infect us all..

Why do you think so many people are possessed by gay demons? Because some places have already made gay marriage legal... This cannot happen...I am waiting on the day my own husband comes home and says.. " I'm gay and it's not going to go away, so get used to it " Oh my god, won't somebody PLEASE think of the children :cry::passifier:

*tongue in cheek*

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Like I said in my last post: just because they're in the bible doesn't make them right and doesn't mean they should be followed.

Sorry to snip your post so short Shadowhive,but this^ deserves applause. :tu: (there's no clapping emoticon?)

And yes,I consider myself a Christian.Even if some don't.A Christian who wholeheartedly accepts gay marriage,despite what the bible says about it.

I live in the 21st century.A time that is far and removed from a set of books that were written for an entirely different culture and generation.I choose the wisdom I take from the bible.

And if the Jesus from Christian tradition did(does) exist...I'm sure he would have no problem with it either.

Just my thoughts.Sorry if anyone doesn't agree.

• Like 2

Christians should know that this is all according to plan, everything is supposed to go to hell before it's eventually fixed. Remember Sodom and Gomorrah? That pales in comparison to Revelations.

Sorry to snip your post so short Shadowhive,but this^ deserves applause. :tu: (there's no clapping emoticon?)

And yes,I consider myself a Christian.Even if some don't.A Christian who wholeheartedly accepts gay marriage,despite what the bible says about it.

I live in the 21st century.A time that is far and removed from a set of books that were written for an entirely different culture and generation.I choose the wisdom I take from the bible.

And if the Jesus from Christian tradition did(does) exist...I'm sure he would have no problem with it either.

Just my thoughts.Sorry if anyone doesn't agree.

Thanks. :) It's good to know there's actually a christian that things like that because so may seem to be so rigid it makes them come off as stupid and stuck centuries in the past. But honestly, I'm glad you said that cause it reminds me that there really are some sane ones (and it does make me glad to know that).

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 1

Like I tell my friends, y'all should have to get married and suffer like the rest of us. :P

• Like 1

Like I tell my friends, y'all should have to get married and suffer like the rest of us. :P

Exactly, why should we suffer and the gays not? lol...

What I find confusing and funny is, when I hear someone say - A gay lifestyle..What the heck is a gay lifestyle?