Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Use of Taser is not unconstitutional

OverSword

So what's next? Cattle prods if you're walking too slow?

From the article:

Cops and attorneys have argued in an ongoing lawsuit that the use of a taser at point blank range on a handcuffed woman does not constitute assault with dangerous weapon, and ” that the use of a Taser is not unconstitutional when used to compel obedience by inmates.”

The arguments were made as part of a motion to dismiss charges against an Oklahoma police officer in a civil suit brought by Nakina Williams following an incident in June.

Lawsuit-Use-of-“Taser-is-not-unconstitutional-when-used-to-compel-obedience”3.jpg

Officer Sterling Taylor-Santino was filmed tasering Williams in the chest at point blank range while she was already under custody with her hands cuffed behind her back at the Pittsburg County Jail.

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2012/12/12/lawsuit-use-of-taser-is-not-unconstitutional-when-used-to-compel-obedience/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pakalert+%28Pak+Alert+Press%29

Cops are far too Taser ready. I'm not sure how inflicting that much pain on someone is justifiable for some of the stuff we see them use it on.

• Like 2

Cops are far too Taser ready. I'm not sure how inflicting that much pain on someone is justifiable for some of the stuff we see them use it on.

I'd rather them be taser happy then gun happy.

Mind you, a taser would probably be as lethal to me as a gun shot (naturally arrhythmic heart + taser = heart attack)

• Like 1

I would not expect cops and prosecutors to take any other position than the one they have taken. :no:

In a country with legalized torture, the Taser rules supreme.

• Like 1

I know. Look at the size of that woman. As if they could not easily have just dragged her into the drunk tank to sleep it off. Disgraceful.
  • Like 3

Mind you, a taser would probably be as lethal to me as a gun shot (naturally arrhythmic heart + taser = heart attack)

Fair point.

However, replace the 'Taser use' with a punch in the nose and imagine the same situations we've seen. Imagine the backlash and calls for reform we'd see.

• Like 1

OverSword, how many cops COULD have been injured by dragging her off to sleep in the drunk tank? Is this a fair number of cops to potentially lose to communicable diseases like Hep C, AIDS, HPV, or even simple things like the flu or cold?

LEO's are trained to minimize their risk of injury when dealing with subjects. If we lose one cop for every one bad guy - even for a day or two - what do we do next week when there ARE no cops on the beat due to illness or injury?

Perhaps you would prefer the expandable baton?

I know. Look at the size of that woman. As if they could not easily have just dragged her into the drunk tank to sleep it off. Disgraceful.

Take her to the ground, she fights back, hurts her leg, gets some bruises, breaks her nose....officer gets hurt in the take down.......All on tape.

Tazer wins.

People sure easily b**** about police, but when they need one, they sure do call.

In my entire life I have never had a bad run in with Police.......Do not put yourself in situations like this, and you will not have to worry about it.

Put yourself in situations like this, you take the chance.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Well, I like being hit by a Taser.

Makes me feel tingly all over. :passifier:

• Like 2

Lol me and my friends taze each other as a practical joke( First time was an accident when we found it it wasn't so bad well :P ). Yeah they were pricks for using it at that point in time but still it's better then some of the other alternatives. Pepper spray would suck more then being tazed....

I've seen cops who are pricks and cops who are awesome, they are human after all.

OverSword, how many cops COULD have been injured by dragging her off to sleep in the drunk tank? Is this a fair number of cops to potentially lose to communicable diseases like Hep C, AIDS, HPV, or even simple things like the flu or cold?

LEO's are trained to minimize their risk of injury when dealing with subjects. If we lose one cop for every one bad guy - even for a day or two - what do we do next week when there ARE no cops on the beat due to illness or injury?

I would prefer a bit of common sense on the part of the cops. Not just in this case, but in the zillions of others that are on You Tube. Big strong cops tasing frail old people and youngsters?

• Like 1

Get real! She is like 4 foot 9 and 120 pounds. Two cops could each grab one arm and take her, heels dragging to the drunk tank and put her in. What if she had died for this? Though not too common people do die from being tazed. But no big deal right? We wouldn't want the delicated little cop to break a nail.
  • Like 2

Well, I like being hit by a Taser.

Makes me feel tingly all over. :passifier:

Actually when they first issued stun guns, not the tazers they have now, my uncle (he's a cop) told me they all had to get stunned, I asked him if it hurt and he asked me if I wanted to find out, so I said if you can take one I can take two, so he used it to lay me out on my grandmothers kitchen floor (LOL, good times!) then I got up and got another one and he says you asked for two. :w00t:
  • Like 1

When you are at work, most have " procedures ". Procedures must be followed, especially by Police. Police have procedures they MUST follow.

I have not looked up that districts policies, but I am sure they are all similar.

Don't b**** out at the officers, they were most likely doing there job as instructed.

Here is a policy from one Department :

II. POLICY

Situations occur in which employees find it necessary to use force in the performance of

their duties. Inherent in these situations is the risk of injury to both employees and

citizens. In an effort to reduce these risks, and as an alternative to what would otherwise

require a greater level of force, the use of an Electronic Control Device is authorized as

outlined in this directive.

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityOfWS//Documents/Police/G.O.%201.29%20Electronic%20Control%20Device%2001-08-10.pdf

but it is not how it works in real world.cops use tasers so much cuz there is no consiquences after they use it, no pile of paperwork\shrink visits\ probable suspention, as they would after they use firearm. and in thoery it is nonelethal, so the have no problem shooting you with one if they feel like it. i'm very glad nypd doesn't carry those.

Edited by aztek

Yeah Sakari, It's nice that they have a piece of paper saying they can abuse thier authority if they feel like it. I bet you anything if this woman had been young and hot they would have taken a more hands on approach.

Yeah Sakari, It's nice that they have a piece of paper saying they can abuse thier authority if they feel like it. I bet you anything if this woman had been young and hot they would have taken a more hands on approach.

As I said, I have no sympathy at all for people who break the law. There are consequences, and we all know it.( even my son who spent 6 years in Prison )

As a matter of fact, if we ( the USA ) were more strict with breaking laws, maybe our crime would not be so high.

41589_160809730621201_743436_n.jpg

Edited by Sakari

As I said, I have no sympathy at all for people who break the law. There are consequences, and we all know it.( even my son who spent 6 years in Prison )

As a matter of fact, if we ( the USA ) were more strict with breaking laws, maybe our crime would not be so high.

41589_160809730621201_743436_n.jpg

I believe you can look at countries with strict laws and see it doesn't work that way. The death penalty does not stop people from being murdered. This womans crime was drunk in public. does corporal punishment seem just for that? You don't jump when they say jump so they taze you?

Nobody is saying that cops don't have a tough job. They have to work very hard with and quite often with the dregs of our society. I have a ton of respect for them, and have several that are friends of mine.

They are given a huge responsiblity but it's not too much to ask them to behave professionally. Inflicting pain to someone because they don't respond quickly enough is not professional, it's thuggery.

Now, if the perp is in the situation to cause actual harm, then all gloves are off, cops have every right to protect themselves. But I don't think anyone here is talking about those situations.

• Like 2

As I said, I have no sympathy at all for people who break the law.

Alledgedly. Police are not judges. they do not decide who broke the law. Arrest does not equal guilt.

I believe you can look at countries with strict laws and see it doesn't work that way. The death penalty does not stop people from being murdered. This womans crime was drunk in public. does corporal punishment seem just for that? You don't jump when they say jump so they taze you?

Obviously we do not agree, and that is fine.

Police have policies they HAVE to follow.

Tazering someone instead of taking them down physically is a lot safer ( for all parties ), and can also avoid that " police brutality " issue that some like to claim when someone is taken down.

If you want to get drunk and stupid in public, be prepared for the consequences.

Break the law, be prepared for the consequences.

If you do both, and are or are not prepared for the consequences, does not matter, you are a idiot in my eyes.

Laws need to be more strict, especially laws regarding drunk in public, and drunk driving.The statistics alone can verify that.

If tazering people made them stop ( obviously that is not why people are tazered, the reasons have been shown all ready ) then tazer away. Unfortunatly, that will not work, and I saw no where where I said corporal punishment either. I know one thing, our justice system is f'd up bad, and I can prove that......Meaning, punishment is not severe enough for a lot of crimes.

Nobody is saying that cops don't have a tough job. They have to work very hard with and quite often with the dregs of our society. I have a ton of respect for them, and have several that are friends of mine.

They are given a huge responsiblity but it's not too much to ask them to behave professionally. Inflicting pain to someone because they don't respond quickly enough is not professional, it's thuggery.

Now, if the perp is in the situation to cause actual harm, then all gloves are off, cops have every right to protect themselves. But I don't think anyone here is talking about those situations.

If they were following their policy, they were doing their jobs. Until I see a verdict on this, I can not say if they were or were not.I can also say, if she had stayed sober, or controlled her drinking ( how far past drunk does someone need to get ) none of us would be having this conversation.

Responsibility.

Not many have that anymore.

Did everyone miss this part?

Because Williams spat at Taylor, he was within his rights to use the taser, as he was attempting to “control her behavior,” rather than purposefully injure her, argues the attorney.

Now, on a side note.....This is f'd up.

Recently, two police officers in Texas tasered a man who was having a seizure, causing the 50-year-old to suffer a heart attack and permanent brain damage. The cops were so ill equipped to deal with the situation, that they broke out tasers and shocked a man who was already convulsing on the ground.
Edited by Sakari

Tazering someone instead of taking them down physically is a lot safer ( for all parties ),

How is it "safer" if one party is dead or permanently debilitated?