Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something Violent

Left-Field

Something Violent

I can't get the imagery out of my head

Every night around eleven P.M.

As I lay my head down on my bed

And I don't want to talk about it

The color red, and an entry wound

Like J.F.K. on that sad afternoon

And it plays on repeat when I close my eyes

This isn't a choice, I've been traumatized

No voices, no sound, just the flash of a gun

In less than a second the whole act is done

This isn't a memory, 'tis mere imagery

But a kind I don't prefer to see

Within my mind, the darkness romanticized

The things that I see without using my eyes

Conditioned and desensitized

To violence 'til we're neutralized

© J.F.K. IV ..... 12/11/12

• Like 3

This is a meaningful topic for our times, we are infiltrated by images of violence, negativity is such a force against our conciousnesses in these times. I don't know if you are currently suffering from what your poem portrays - unwanted images of gun shooting, or other negative sights, but I get these too. Pay attention to the thought you think right before you see the image, replace the thought with another thought (a positive one) and see if that also produces the image, continue to do this each time you get the image.. It's an interesting exercise...

• Like 1

song comes to mind..

Glad I'm not a Kennedy..

• Like 1

I love the way you write J, your style. I always find myself singing your lines as I read them.

This made me smile. :)

I don't know if you are currently suffering from what your poem portrays - unwanted images of gun shooting, or other negative sights, but I get these too.

I don't deal with thoughts of hurting others (myself at times, but not others). To do something like that has never made sense or "appealed" to me. I do think with everything around us though people have become conditioned to violence (among many other things).

I actually changed the last line from what I originally had to reflect a more societal thought as opposed to being more personally connected. I didn't want people overthinking things or whatever they might call it. 'Tis just a poem afterall.

Pay attention to the thought you think right before you see the image, replace the thought with another thought (a positive one) and see if that also produces the image, continue to do this each time you get the image.. It's an interesting exercise...

I will try and follow through with this. Thank you. :)

song comes to mind.. Glad I'm not a Kennedy..

I had an entirely different response written, but I just realized "Glad I'm Not a Kennedy" is a song, lol.

I'm gonna have to check it out.

Edited by Left-Field