Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Fire Arms laws and regulations

Dredimus

Introduction

Most people who own guns doesn't understand how to make them safe and how to handle them in a safe manor, neither do they understand how to keep guns out of the reach of their children. .

BS. This describes a very small minority of gun owners. It sure doesnt represent "most" gun owners

BS. This describes a very small minority of gun owners. It sure doesnt represent "most" gun owners

I am talking about people who didn't take gun safety courses. I seen people display their guns out in the open, with children running around. It is nuts.

I need to swot up on the gun laws in the UK and see what impact they could have in the States.

What little spree killings we have here are perpuated by middle-aged men who go under the radar.

The only way youngsters get their hands on guns here are through the black market.

I think you need to be of a certain age just to legally shoot them on a firing range.

It's well worth mentioning the fact that gun crime tumbled in Manchester as soon as they identified and arrested the ringleaders.

Tbh it would be perfect if there was no guns whatsoever however the reality is not that simple...

You do have a right to defend yourself and your livestock.

The only thing I can suggest off-hand is anybody applying for a gun license to undergo a battery of pscyological tests.

That will separate the genuine gun-owners and the ones showing bad intent.

Thank You Beckys mom, appreciate that.

We can not just go in a store and buy a gun either :)

In a sense you can, after they run a background criminal and mental health check.. then you have a 15 day waiting period? ( I think it's 15 days or so give or take ) You have to admit, aside from a few checks of your criminal and mental health background, it is easier in the US to obtain a gun than it is in my own neck of the woods.. Our two countries differ by far In my country ( N.Ireland ) it can take up to a year before they issue you a licence, and that's after you have went though so many hoops to get there ..It is far faster and easier in the US to own a gun without the loaded hassle you find in my country..

Please note, I am not one of those that cry out for the US to ban their guns.. I merely am joining in the topic because I found your request interesting.. and the fact that I am bored !!

I watched a film by M Moore, showing how people can walk into a bank, open an account, and the bank gave them free guns for doing so. That had irony all over it

Edited by Beckys_Mom

It may IMPLY privacy but it very clearly says "militia", reading to us on the outside as being an amendment about how the government can't stop people from joining forces against the government/joining forces in the defence of liberty etc etc, and not "we can own a bazooka, because 2nd amendment".

In the US Constitution there are implied powers and expressed powers. For instance, Congress has the expressed power to declare war.

US citizens have the implied power, under the second amendment, to own private firearms, because they have the expressed power to form militias. If US citizens didn't have any private firearms, how would they begin to form the militia - which is comprised entirely of normal, everyday, private citizens banding together for the express purpose of extraditing tyranny? Do you see what I mean? If the reliance on the state national guard is shattered, the people must fend for themselves using the powers granted to them by the US Constitution, via the powers granted to them via the second amendment.

Edited by Drayno

Psychological tests only prove that a person is sane at the time of the test! Couple of months down the line the guy loses his job/his wife runs off with his best friend/his brother cheats him out of some money and bingo! He picks up his guns and kills his wife, the best friend, his brother, the ex-boss and then turns the gun on himself.

There is no way of predicting when someone will 'crack' and go on a shooting 'spree', but if there are no guns around then the guy has to think of another way to release his anger and frustration. He might well kill himself but he won't take everyone else out with him.

• Like 1

Psychological tests only prove that a person is sane at the time of the test! Couple of months down the line the guy loses his job/his wife runs off with his best friend/his brother cheats him out of some money and bingo! He picks up his guns and kills his wife, the best friend, his brother, the ex-boss and then turns the gun on himself.

There is no way of predicting when someone will 'crack' and go on a shooting 'spree', but if there are no guns around then the guy has to think of another way to release his anger and frustration. He might well kill himself but he won't take everyone else out with him.

True, you could be classed sane one year.. A year or so later, you could find yourself in a mental ward...

People need to just chill out. Unless you know ahead of time, there is no way to stop someone who is determined to go on a killing spee.

You'll see, soon this will be old news. And the media ( and the public in general ) will be arguing and discussing something else.

I give it four more days.

In the US Constitution there are implied powers and expressed powers. For instance, Congress has the expressed power to declare war.

US citizens have the implied power, under the second amendment, to own private firearms, because they have the expressed power to form militias. If US citizens didn't have any private firearms, how would they begin to form the militia - which is comprised entirely of normal, everyday, private citizens banding together for the express purpose of extraditing tyranny? Do you see what I mean? If the reliance on the state national guard is shattered, the people must fend for themselves using the powers granted to them by the US Constitution, via the powers granted to them via the second amendment.

ahh I see.

Well that shines a different light on things.

• Like 1

Please note, I am not one of those that cry out for the US to ban their guns.. I merely am joining in the topic because I found your request interesting.. and the fact that I am bored !!

I new this :)

How can you be bored with that beautiful Country?

Maybe you should go buy a new tea pot? :whistle:

• Like 1

I new this :)

How can you be bored with that beautiful Country?

Maybe you should go buy a new tea pot? :whistle:

Ha ha oh yes my tea pot, that I wanted to xmas lol... If I ever get my new tea pot, I'll be sure to brew you a nice cup of tea..

• Like 1

Ha ha oh yes my tea pot, that I wanted to xmas lol... If I ever get my new tea pot, I'll be sure to brew you a nice cup of tea..

:tu:

its not the guns thats the problem its shame on the parents for not takeing control and teaching the kids about fire arms and the point between whats right and wrong god guns and guts made america free today a lot of people forget about that and like to point and push the blame out on any thing else when it all starts in the home !

• Like 1

its not the guns thats the problem its shame on the parents for not takeing control and teaching the kids about fire arms and the point between whats right and wrong god guns and guts made america free today a lot of people forget about that and like to point and push the blame out on any thing else when it all starts in the home !

I am against banning guns......But, you can not blame parents. ( I just went over this )

I blame society as a whole ( all ready explained it ).

Our kids after a certain age are influenced and around " society " a lot more then they are parents. Once that age hits, parents can try all they want.

My example :

Me and my wife raised two children ( both are adults now, and thank goodness, both are doing well now )

One Girl, one Boy. 2 years apart.......Same rules, same consequences for things, same toys, same vacations.......

Our boy, he got involved in bad things around 13 - 14, and trust me, we went to counseling, and went through everything. ( can't spank a child )...He ended up on meth, and spent ages 16 to 21 in prison basically. ( he is doing great now though, he learned finally )

Our girl.....Went to college, married, has a boy and a husband, and a stable job. She was a 4.0 student, and recieved a scholorship.

Both raised under the same roof, with the same parents, with the same rules......Each found a different group of friends, and social things.

Edited by Sakari

At the end of the day, someone dedicated to killing another will find a way - but I've had scissors waved in my face by a student who would have killed me if he got the chance, colleagues have had knives pulled on them etc and we're all still alive because it's hard to kill someone with scissors/knives when they know you're going to come at them with them, you have to get in close to do damage, and that gives the potential victim a window to act - you don't get that with a gun.

Maybe we could marry gun ownership with the other great American industry "therapy", you have to be proven mentally fit each year in order to own a gun - not mentally fit the police will impound your guns until you can prove you are.

It's funny you should mention that, we had a guy over here in the U.S. who killed 168 people and injured nearly 800 people. And he didn't even use a gun, he used a truck bomb. Point is, the nutters will find a way. Here's a link in case some of you might not know who I talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

And that's how I know trying to eliminate mass killing with gun control will not work in U.S. As I said, the nutters will find a way. Vehicles and bombs, worse killing method compared to a gun.

I have come out of retirement to say one thing then probably go right back into retirement again (Its been a really long time since I was last on).

At the end of the day, someone dedicated to killing another will find a way - but I've had scissors waved in my face by a student who would have killed me if he got the chance, colleagues have had knives pulled on them etc and we're all still alive because it's hard to kill someone with scissors/knives when they know you're going to come at them with them, you have to get in close to do damage, and that gives the potential victim a window to act - you don't get that with a gun.

One thing in the quote above makes me have to say something.

To think that scissors or knives mean you always get warning before an attack is a bit naive. I have learned in my experiance in Iraq that you can be just as suprised by a knife or other melee weapon as you can with a gun. Just because a melee weapon is hand held does not make it any less dangerous, in fact its more deadly. Its rather easy to miss when you shoot a gun (difficulty increases with range), while it is not hard to miss with a weapon such as a knife, expecialy if you have the element of suprise.

There is literaly nothing the target can do. A lot of people died or got badly injured that way.

I would rather be attacked by a person with a gun (who has a high likelyhood of missing the first shot giving me time to act) then a guy with a knife.

I have come out of retirement to say one thing then probably go right back into retirement again (Its been a really long time since I was last on).

One thing in the quote above makes me have to say something.

To think that scissors or knives mean you always get warning before an attack is a bit naive. I have learned in my experiance in Iraq that you can be just as suprised by a knife or other melee weapon as you can with a gun. Just because a melee weapon is hand held does not make it any less dangerous, in fact its more deadly. Its rather easy to miss when you shoot a gun (difficulty increases with range), while it is not hard to miss with a weapon such as a knife, expecialy if you have the element of suprise.

There is literaly nothing the target can do. A lot of people died or got badly injured that way.

I would rather be attacked by a person with a gun (who has a high likelyhood of missing the first shot giving me time to act) then a guy with a knife.

You mean something like this?

China: Man Stabs 22 Children and 1 Adult

you mean how of those 23 people stabbed none died?

and you'll notice I said "it's hard to kill someone with scossors/knives when they know you're coming at them".

you mean how of those 23 people stabbed none died?

and you'll notice I said "it's hard to kill someone with scossors/knives when they know you're coming at them".

Do you know its hard to kill someone with a gun when they know your coming for them as well?

You mean something like this?

China: Man Stabs 22 Children and 1 Adult

No, not that specific case.

Edited by Tsukasa

Maybe we could marry gun ownership with the other great American industry "therapy", you have to be proven mentally fit each year in order to own a gun - not mentally fit the police will impound your guns until you can prove you are.

Ain't gonna work, doll. When you've got generations, as recently as my grandparents, that depended on them to stay alive. Those guns have been handed down to kids or grandkids that are in their thirties now. They aren't registered and never will be. It wasn't until a relatively short time ago that guns had to be registered. Any guns before that are on more of a don't ask don't tell basis.

The US is saturated in guns. Unless the courts take action on the criminals, shooting people and robbing convenience stores at gunpoint, no one is going to take any threat of real punishment seriously, because their gun isn't registered.

The Gun Control people are trying to already capitalize on this even though the victims haven't got the chance to grieve yet or all the facts are known. How I lose faith in humanity...

Gun control Movement Tries to Shed Election Losing Reputation

• Like 1

The Gun Control people are trying to already capitalize on this even though the victims haven't got the chance to grieve yet or all the facts are known. How I lose faith in humanity...

Gun control Movement Tries to Shed Election Losing Reputation

there's been a lot of faith in humanity lost over the last couple of days, courtesy of all sides of the divide.

Which is sad, as it may actually take us away from the core of the issue - their grief and how we help them.

• Like 1

You know, I think there's a "sticking with the 2nd Amendment" way of addressing the issues of the ease of access to guns.

You actually have to be a member of a militia - or the 21st century version of a militia which we could call "a gun club". You're not a member? No guns for you.

actually according to ussc it is totally opposite.

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia.”

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

The Second Amendment was outdated 90 years ago, and its time for a change.

it has. no more confusing militia, organized or not, it is just ppl now. so we can drop all interpretations of 2nd.