Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Still Waters

Don't give your dog Christmas Pudding *Alert*

11 posts in this topic

Its catchprase is ‘more reasons to shop at Morrisons’.

But animal lovers have fewer reasons to shop there following the supermarket’s festive advert featuring a child feeding Christmas Pudding to the family dog.

Vets warned that dried fruit in the cake could cause acute renal failure and death in dogs if left untreated and branded the supermarket ‘irresponsible’ for showing the advert.

Campaigners have now set up a Facebook page and have complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the advert, saying it encourages people to feed Christmas pudding to dogs.

http://www.dailymail...ing-deadly.html

You may know not to do this already, but seeing as Christmas is coming up I thought the info might be helpful to someone.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might sound dumb but.. What is pudding? Is it a fruitcake sort of thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a dog and i don't have pudding at Christmas either. So, i'm good!!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog use to eat fruit, you couldn't keep her from it. If I wanted to eat a banana I had to hide and she would smell it, then I would try to hurry up and stuff it down or let her have some. She would also help herself to grapes on the vine. She died of renal failure. Had no idea at that time fruit was bad for a dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I missed something, the article seems to stress only dried fruit as being toxic, not fresh fruit.

We had a cat who ate fresh grapefruit and a dog who used to pick cherry tomatoes off the vine to eat.

Store bought Xmas dried fruit cakes are usually not too popular here in the United States and the butt of a lot of jokes. We drench ours in alcohol too.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog use to eat fruit, you couldn't keep her from it. If I wanted to eat a banana I had to hide and she would smell it, then I would try to hurry up and stuff it down or let her have some. She would also help herself to grapes on the vine. She died of renal failure. Had no idea at that time fruit was bad for a dog.

Bananas are fine for dogs...grapes on the other hand are toxic, as is chocolate. Always a good idea to check with your Vet before giving your dog human foods.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bananas are fine for dogs...grapes on the other hand are toxic, as is chocolate. Always a good idea to check with your Vet before giving your dog human foods.

Good advice.

My daughter is a vet assistant and I hear horror stories all the time about what foods can do to dogs. Chocolate seems to be a major cause of grief. Most of them love it and given the opportunity they will tear into it. Some are not affected by a little, and some dogs get very sick and even die from it.

If you want to give your dog a treat that he will love you for, give him a little bit of cheddar cheese. They go nuts for it. Not much or you will constipate them big time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a compound in chocolate called theobromine, this acts like 'super caffine' in dogs. If they ingest enough the dog will basically die from heart failure. The toxic mechanism behind grape/raisin poisoning is more elusive. It's speculated that a fungus common to the fruit interfers with canine kidney function. Whatever is involved, it doesn't bother humans...but it's really not good for dogs.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might sound dumb but.. What is pudding? Is it a fruitcake sort of thing?

http://www.deliaonli...as-pudding.html

http://en.wikipedia....ristmas_pudding

I love Christmas pudding especially with rum sauce, we have one every year, it's always been a family tradition with us. They're usually eaten after your Christmas dinner as a pudding, that is if you've got room! They can also be sliced and eaten cold if preferred. I always buy one (nut free) ready made and we eat it hot but my late mother-in-law always made her own and it was large enough to eat on Christmas day and still have some left over to slice up for later. She'd also leave out mixed peel as not everyone liked it.

We don't have a dog now but when we did I can't ever remember giving it pudding. As a Christmas treat we used to buy 'doggies choc drops' I think they were called.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate Christmas pudding, its awful.. If I fed it to a dog, I could get done for animal cruelty lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might sound dumb but.. What is pudding? Is it a fruitcake sort of thing?

It's actually more of a northern England thing.

It's basically any kind of pastry with a rounded top and some kind of filling.

The same thing applies to the Christmas Pudding but without the pastry.

Other examples include rag puddings and steak and kidney puddings.

Tbh though pudding is also used as an umbrella term for all afters and desserts.

Btw what gets me about dogs is their inability to realise what's poisonous or not.

Ty and Kayla stil havn't got the hint about chocolate.

Btw this advert is bordering on reckless and just further justification for hating them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.