Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

Supernova may not have formed solar system

3 posts in this topic

Exploding star missing from formation of solar system

A new study published by University of Chicago researchers challenges the notion that the force of an exploding star prompted the formation of the solar system.

In this study, published online last month in Earth and Planetary Science Letters, authors Haolan Tang and Nicolas Dauphas found the radioactive isotope iron 60 — the telltale sign of an exploding star—low in abundance and well mixed in solar system material. As cosmochemists, they look for remnants of stellar explosions in meteorites to help determine the conditions under which the solar system formed.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Please correct me if I'm incorrect, but aren't most bits of cometary and meteoric material formed in the outer solar system such as in the Oort cloud?..

If so, is it possible that when the solar system formed out of a disk of material, the denser materials - such as the irons - would 'sink' into the inner system as the dust and other material was spinning to form the sun and planets and thus be relatively more rare in the outer system?

I'm not doubting these scientists findings, just wondering ...

Edited by Taun

I would need alot more information about there scientific methods.

How many varying samples from how many different spots in our solar system are they working with here ?

The method they are using sounds somewhat obscure and as mentioned contamination was a problem ?

There is no independent varification of this being a real as in a second set of samples performed by a different group achieving the same results.

Its a big claim needs more proof.