Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spider That Builds Its Own Fake Spiders

Still Waters

A spider that builds elaborate, fake spiders and hangs them in its web has been discovered in the Peruvian Amazon.

Believed to be a new species in the genus Cyclosa, the arachnid crafts the larger spider from leaves, debris and dead insects. Though Cyclosa includes other sculpting arachnids, this is the first one observed to build a replica with multiple, spidery legs.

http://www.wired.com...uilding-spider/

• Like 3

That was really interesting; I am continually surprised by the world we live in!

To me doesnt look like decoy. It looks like that small spider wanted to show himself bigger so that his height scare away predators.

But how come that same doesnt scared prey?

maybe they are having some kind of contest to see who can build the best looking spider... :tu:

• Like 1

I wonder when some advanced form of life came and see/saw us on earth is/was it/he/she conclude/d that we are doing decoys based on our statues? Imagine ET came and see how humans are errecting moai statues on Rapa Nui. Decoys? Maybe those spiders developed art. Maybe they doing their statues. Just for fun. Because they are inspired. :innocent:

That was really interesting; I am continually surprised by the world we live in!

Me too. Nature and what it contains can be really amazing! :yes:
  • Like 1

trying to figure out if:

it is a new spider, so where did it come from?....out of space?

is it a new mutated spider?

is it just something we have never seen before, maybe it lived underground, maybe climate conditions has brought it to the surface?

is it a spider already known to us but is evolving according to - environmental changes, climatic changes?

trying to figure out if:

it is a new spider, so where did it come from?....out of space?

is it a new mutated spider?

is it just something we have never seen before, maybe it lived underground, maybe climate conditions has brought it to the surface?

is it a spider already known to us but is evolving according to - environmental changes, climatic changes?

Out of space is very unlikely, considering the amount of species the rain forests contain, and many have yet to be discovered.

• Like 1

Fascinating...

The OP says the decoys are found at face height. Wonder if the spiders are just trying to scare nosy humans off? :)

Out of space is very unlikely, considering the amount of species the rain forests contain, and many have yet to be discovered.

Maybe the species have had to move on because their old homes have been eradicated by man.

I would much rather know the species are found because of man exploring the region as opposed to chopping it all down.

I hope this is not the last of its kind which they have just discovered.

I wonder why it does that .....interesting .

it seems to be that they create a larger 'spider' to hide under. as they move the other 'spider' moves, or as the article says, the spider will shake the web (i assume this is to animate the disguise and make it seem real)

maybe its tired of things running into its web. i know i wouldnt walk thru a web with a huge looking spider on it.

• Like 1

Maybe they were building idols to appease the spider gods for the upcoming apoc? :P

Gotta love nature though you can always find something new and amazing from it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is really interesting. The article states there are other spider "sculptors" in the family of Cyclosa. ​I wonder what kinds of scuptures the whole species exhibits. Get it? Sculptor? Exhibits? A spider "art walk" *chuckle*

Edited by thewild

maybe its tired of things running into its web. i know i wouldnt walk thru a web with a huge looking spider on it.

I think it is more like if a spider eating wasp were to see it .it would attack the decoy while the spider itself would be able to get away from said predator.At least thats what I think.Just my opinion. Edited by The Unseen
  • Like 1