Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whale thought to be extinct for 2 mil years

LiveForTomorrow

washed ashore dead is not excitng but I get ya.

People who claim the megalodon cannot be alive,might want to tale note of this as well .

• Like 2

Is it odd that when I read this I immediately thought "What do they taste like?"

OT: Interesting article. I'd like to hear about live Megalodons next.

I thought Megalodons were shallow water animals.

Awesome! Love it when that happens or when "new" species are discovered.

The sea is full of many secrets. ;)

I hope we discover more and more life; and not hunt it to extinction.

• Like 1

Don´t tell the Japanese! Otherwise, we will intensive "research whaling" in order to investigate what pygmy whale sushi tastes like.

• Like 1

there should be an international law in regards of over fishing and endangered species must be watched. there are alot of undiscovered animals that are now surfacing and that is very healthy for our environment and to the newly discovered. these chinese and japanese trollers who don't respect the environment and others rights MUST be KILL on the spot. chiwa, bakero !

They're still extinct, that one accidently came through the time portal I created while escaping from Atlantis.

• Like 1

In one part of the article they say they didn't know they were around but the next paragraph they talk about people seeing them.

The relatively diminutive pygmy right whale, which grows to just 21 feet (6.5 meters) long, lives out in the open ocean. The elusive marine mammals inhabit the Southern Hemisphere and have only been spotted at sea a few dozen times. As a result, scientists know almost nothing about the species' habits or social structure.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone read the article? They didn't find any new species here, the Pygmy Right Whale has been documented since the 1840s (Far longer than species like the Beaked Whale or Brydes Whale). Yes the title was very glamorous and misleading, typical of journalism these days. This is a potentially important discovery, but it had nothing to do with any new species. They're simply saying evidence points to the Pygmy Right Whale being related to an evolutionary chain that was thought to have no modern descendants.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon